01. Remnants Of The Tortured
02. A Massacre In The North
03. Letting Them Fall
04. A Burial For The Abandoned
05. Lack Of Oxygen
06. Wormhole Inversion
07. The Anomalies Of Artificial Origin
08. The Last Communion

Assuming the majority of users here were unaware of In the End of Human Existence being released back in 2007, I'm going to tell you right now that this album is hands-down the top slam death album of the year. I'll be mighty surprised if this opinion changes come January 2013.

For those who aren't unfamiliar with Abominable Putridity, all you need to know is that their sophomore release is quite literally stronger in every aspect: groove, technicality, brutality, flow, clarity, and songwriting prowess. Far be it from me to say these guys are the Tool of brutal death metal, but their overall abilities have improved immensely, surpassing their peers with a vulgar display of power.

The Anomalies of Artificial Origin takes off with an eerie intro, paving the way for a conceptually charged mindless assault of every orifice of the human body. Crushing bass lines lend their support to the ultimately over-the-top chugging riffs, giving the album a very immense feel, as if the music itself is a weapon of mass destruction. This is all topped off with some more technical riffs that appear in shorter spurts, injecting a quick dose of creativity into the songs.

Of course, Abominable Putridity aren't Abominable Putridity without the thick crushing slam riffs. This is where they really stand out from the rest of the pack - not so much in that they don't simply rely on slams as opposed to chugging riffs, but that their slams add a serious weight to their music. You can feel each chug build up to a slam breakdown, with every minute passing by increasing your anticipation. In spite of being able to sense the oncoming slams, they're still rather unexpected - a very welcome change in songwriting according to this reviewer. Previously these guys got into a habit of incorporating too many breakdowns, and the only surprise factor was in regards to how lacking each song was in the riff department.

Naturally, the inhuman guttural vocals are what will separate the fans from the haters. Their former vocalist had a much deeper, more beastly growl, whereas Matti Way (of Disgorge and Pathology fame) brings a somewhat higher pitch to the table in addition to his already immense gutturals. His rhythmic style suits the music perfectly, mixed appropriately lower while enhancing the catchy grooves. The drumming is fairly standard for the music style, maintaining the album's overall flow with a steadily faster pace without breaking into any unnecessarily overly technical or hypersonic moments.

If you appreciate slam death and want to listen to the genre's best release of the year, look no further than The Anomalies of Artificial Origin.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 5
Production: 9

Written on 10.06.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 47   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 304 users
10.06.2012 - 02:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Far too many mentions of the word "slam" for my taste but that cover art is pretty boss:

10.06.2012 - 02:24
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 10.06.2012 at 02:19
Far too many mentions of the word "slam" for my taste but that cover art is pretty boss:

Not a chance I'd waste recommending this to you, but at least we can agree on the awesome cover art.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.06.2012 - 02:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.06.2012 at 02:24

Not a chance I'd waste recommending this to you, but at least we can agree on the awesome cover art.

It's very Resident Evil (thinking of the Tyrant of course).
10.06.2012 - 02:37
Misfit74
Certainly among my favorite slam albums. The drumming, in particular is fantastic and well-produced/mixed. The kick-drum sound is what they're supposed to sound like. While I don't think this is the best, it's among my top 10 in the genre easily. A great album and they are undoubtedly one of the premier front-runners in slam/BDM right now. This album sets the bar very high though they're not without some quality peers.
10.06.2012 - 02:45
Unhealer
Eclecticist
By looking at the monster in the artwork I couldn't help but to think "Bitch, I'm fabulous".

I'll follow you on this one, Killjoy; you sold it well.
10.06.2012 - 03:15
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Would you say their album art lives up to the music?
10.06.2012 - 03:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Misfit74 on 10.06.2012 at 02:37
Certainly among my favorite slam albums. The drumming, in particular is fantastic and well-produced/mixed. The kick-drum sound is what they're supposed to sound like. While I don't think this is the best, it's among my top 10 in the genre easily.

It's amazing how quick this album came to the forefront of slam for this year and how high up on my personal list this sits in terms of all-time slam releases. I really wasn't expecting such an immense album after listening to their debut a couple years back. Definitely pleasantly surprised with this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.06.2012 - 03:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 10.06.2012 at 03:15
Would you say their album art lives up to the music?

Definitely. They both have a clear focus, both are appropriately polished, and both offer the same feature: brutality.
----
10.06.2012 - 03:39
Rating: 7
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Might be a fun listen, will check out even though I'm not a big fan of the genre.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.06.2012 - 03:53
Mattybu
The only thing I don't like about the cover art is the monster looks like it's doing a ballet move or something.

Might check this out just to find out what the word "slam" means in the metal context.
10.06.2012 - 03:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Mattybu on 10.06.2012 at 03:53

The only thing I don't like about the cover art is the monster looks like it's doing a ballet move or something.

Once it has been seen, it can not be unseen.

QUICK! Someone use their mad photoshop skillz to make the monster wear a tutu and say "I'm so fabulous!" (you can just tell by it's face that it is happy)
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.06.2012 - 04:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.06.2012 at 03:57

Once it has been seen, it can not be unseen.

QUICK! Someone use their mad photoshop skillz to make the monster wear a tutu and say "I'm so fabulous!" (you can just tell by it's face that it is happy)

10.06.2012 - 04:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 10.06.2012 at 04:12

THANK YOU!!!!

This is pure art dude.
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.06.2012 - 04:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.06.2012 at 03:57

Very artistic mood tonight.

/ninja'd
----
10.06.2012 - 04:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
That's twice you've been owned by 'shops
10.06.2012 - 04:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 10.06.2012 at 04:14

In what? Less than 5 mins?

Don't worry Troy, at least you didn't make an ass out of yourself for like 80-90 mins.
----
Rod, let me love you.
10.06.2012 - 04:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.06.2012 at 04:14

Don't worry Troy, at least you didn't make an ass out of yourself for like 80-90 mins.

This.
10.06.2012 - 04:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 10.06.2012 at 04:14

Pff, I enjoy the artistic challenges of using Paint to be honest. The only drawback is the time it takes to create something as masterful as this.

Speaking of masterful, this album is awesome. And every track can be found on Youtube, so people don't even have a reason not to listen to it.
----
10.06.2012 - 06:07
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 10.06.2012 at 04:12

*Awesome image*

Thank you, just thank you.
10.06.2012 - 06:26
Misfit74
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.06.2012 at 03:16

Written by Misfit74 on 10.06.2012 at 02:37
Certainly among my favorite slam albums. The drumming, in particular is fantastic and well-produced/mixed. The kick-drum sound is what they're supposed to sound like. While I don't think this is the best, it's among my top 10 in the genre easily.

It's amazing how quick this album came to the forefront of slam for this year and how high up on my personal list this sits in terms of all-time slam releases. I really wasn't expecting such an immense album after listening to their debut a couple years back. Definitely pleasantly surprised with this.

Interestingly, it's amazing how it got such a bad rap in the album thread. http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=59814&band_id=3943&bandname=Abominable+Putridity

I seemed to be in the minority in my support for the album. Glad to see a review (and discussion) like this to help bring a quality album to light that might otherwise get buried around here. I think a lot of folks might not know what they're missing. As has been said: it just doesn't get much more hi-quality than this for the genre.
10.06.2012 - 07:48
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
I decided to listen to this particular Slam band based on this review Troy because you make it sound like it's actually really awesome. This is the only Slam band I've heard so far that I could maybe actually get into, the music itself is pretty fuckin' sick but I'm still struggling with the vocals. Maybe I'll dl this anyway and give it a shot outside of a "YouTube background noise" listen...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

10.06.2012 - 08:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by psykometal on 10.06.2012 at 07:48
I decided to listen to this particular Slam band based on this review Troy because you make it sound like it's actually really awesome. This is the only Slam band I've heard so far that I could maybe actually get into, the music itself is pretty fuckin' sick but I'm still struggling with the vocals. Maybe I'll dl this anyway and give it a shot outside of a "YouTube background noise" listen...

It really is a fun listen, something that doesn't require much effort beyond being able to accept the vocals, which after a full listen should be an easy hurdle to clear in my opinion, especially considering you listen to a lot of death metal. Besides, the riffs and slams are good enough to distract you from the vocals if you really can't digest them.
----
10.06.2012 - 08:36
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.06.2012 at 08:21

It really is a fun listen, something that doesn't require much effort beyond being able to accept the vocals, which after a full listen should be an easy hurdle to clear in my opinion, especially considering you listen to a lot of death metal. Besides, the riffs and slams are good enough to distract you from the vocals if you really can't digest them.

Yea I was feeling a bit pirate-y a moment ago and dl'd it, I'm checking it out now. The music is extremely close to BDM territory for a Slam band which is really sick. I do listen to a lot of Death metal but honestly BDM is a more recent taste acquisition in the last year, used to not care for it much but last year a buddy got me into a TDM phase and then started getting me to listen to some BDM bands that get rather close to TDM territory like recent Dying Fetus, Severed Savior and Insidious Decrepency to name a few and I then I got really into BDM after that.

I'm on the 3rd track of AP and it's really good shit, starting to acclimate to the vocals, not sure I'll ever fully get behind the vocals due unintelligibility but I may be able to just look past them for the music's sake; at least in the case of Abominable Putridity. And it's weird because I can handle Matti's vocals in AP but still don't care for them in Pathology, maybe it's because the music in Pathology isn't good enough for me to get over the vocals or maybe in the last few years Matti has just gotten a little better at doing them...

Add-on: In either case I probably would have never checked this band out if not for your review so thanks for that Troy. Definitely should do more DM/BDM reviews for us...
----

10.06.2012 - 11:01
Uldreth
Weirdly enough I like this album a lot. I normally hate slam and have a distaste for BDM as well unless it's in the technical territory but this is really awesome for some reason. I don't even mind the vocals, maybe due to the higher than usual pitch.
11.06.2012 - 00:50
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I'm seeing a lot more death metal album covers oriented towards the giant otherworldly monsters breaking through/out (in a tutu) i.e. Spawn of Possession, Hour of Penance, Pseudogod. Perhaps a majorities prevailing spirit under oppression, ready to break out!?. Maybe they just thought it looked like it would fuck a lot of shit up.
----
Coldgrits
11.06.2012 - 02:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Ok so I've listened to this album closely for several spins now and I'm hooked, it's fucking brutal and sick as hell! I am learning to appreciate the vocals, still not a Slam head but if there are more Slam bands out there like this where the music is closer to BDM than straight Slam and I can at least somewhat tell that there are words coming out of the vocalist's mouth and not just a bunch of "GRRRR GRRRR GRRRR" then I would definitely be interested to check them out. Abominable Putridity has definitely earned their place on my iPod...
----

11.06.2012 - 03:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by psykometal on 11.06.2012 at 02:51
I can at least somewhat tell that there are words coming out of the vocalist's mouth and not just a bunch of "GRRRR GRRRR GRRRR".

This is one of the cases where the vocals are just another instrument that makes sounds to complete the whole picture, like old Cryptopsy for example.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.06.2012 - 04:09
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.06.2012 at 03:49

This is one of the cases where the vocals are just another instrument that makes sounds to complete the whole picture, like old Cryptopsy for example.

Oh I have always considered vocals as another instrument, sometimes they happen to carry a message and sometimes they're merely just another instrument in the song; that's why I can justify and enjoy listening to so much blasphemous black and death metal despite being a christian. But like any instrument it still needs to be done in a pleasing manner and I like hearing the variation in the different words whether I know what the words are or not. Anybody can pick up an instrument and "play" away but that doesn't mean it's going to sound good or appealing, and the vast majority of the really deep gutteral slam vocals don't sound appealing to me even when considered as merely another instrument; doesn't help much either that I generally don't care for the music and production of the vast majority of slam bands. That's why I actuallyI love Abominable Putridity so much because the music is closer to brutal than to slam and the vocals are "articulated" well enough in their deep, low range that they do work well with the rest of the instruments...
----

11.06.2012 - 04:15
wormdrink414
elite
Only thing I would've done differently for this, other than write it more shittily, is add .1 or .2 for those green numbers. Green number material here.
11.06.2012 - 05:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by wormdrink414 on 11.06.2012 at 04:15
Green number material here.

If I had things my way, an 85% would be marked with green.
----

Hits total: 11925 | This month: 26