Metal Storm logo
Scary metal songs you have ever listened to ?

Original post

Posted by FOOCK Nam, 13.06.2012 - 16:31
What are scary metal songs you ever listened to ? I mean the songs that make you feel the scary cold touch on your back and neck. Knowing metal is music for enjoyment, but I guess there can some songs that scareeee you. : )

Mine is theses two:
- Bishop Of Hexen - The Somber Ground of Truth
- Swallow The Sun - Ghost of Laura Palmer

What about yours ?
15.06.2012 - 17:52
Fuckin' Slayer's Dead Skin Mask thrilled me. The initial riff and the little creepy girl voice at the end are really scary. Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath is a scary song too!!!
15.06.2012 - 19:59
quirin
Bishop of Hexen does write gloomy songs, I agree with you there.
Now I'm working my brains to remember anything actually scary, but nothing comes to mind. I'd say Emperor (Nightside/Anthems era) or maybe some Hecate Enthroned or Summoning's Stronghold... no, those are merely very dark melancholic soundscapes you can hardly call "scray".
I think people created that "horror metal" subgenre, you might get some clue there.

(Thinking again, I remember those Mindrot and Morgion bands, maybe that's what hyou're looking for)
15.06.2012 - 20:37
Night Sight
I think mayhem music is really scaring and it is like a phantom! every time i listen to Funeral Fog i say wow really scaring
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
15.06.2012 - 21:18
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
I've said it before, Arcana Coelestia plays some of the scariest shit I've ever heard. Just evil.
----
rekt
16.06.2012 - 03:37
Darkfiber
This song scares the shit out of me and I have no idea why, because I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be funny.

16.06.2012 - 06:23
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 14.06.2012 at 14:37

To keep with my recent Dream Theater posting - I've only heard Scenes From A Memory in its entirety three times in the past three years because I'm deathly scared of Finally Free. I'm pretty attached to the characters and learning how they died was waaaaaaaaaay too awful for me, especially because it was such a surprise the first time. I've tried to listen to it two more times, once I had to change it halfway through. Fuckin' scared of that song.

That's awesome! I mean not -awesome-, you seem pretty perturbed by it, but I'm totally with you on that one. Delighted by your terror I first listened to that album when I was maybe 15, and I was listening mostly for the guitar playing but then I read the lyrics while listening a second time and was pretty disturbed. Then at the end when it stopped abruptly and you can hear crickets followed by silence it all hit me like a brick. And I was sitting in my bed late at night thinking about what just might be the worst way to die. The haunting melodies of the album were all that stood out from the music then.

And there's proof that the scariest music isn't necessarily demons and grr. In fact the most chilling music for me has direct ties to reality. In reality there are no demons or monsters, only in the minds and actions of people.

Awake is also a creepy album for me. Very psychological, very inner-demon oriented. Great lyrics and haunting tunes that hit home.

All in all I don't get scared anymore. I get chills that make me think long and hard about life and the dark places that it can lead. Not that I fear them but they take me out of the every day narrative of normal life to a place on the fringe of reality where everyone no matter who they are will feel a little uneasy and vulnerable. Then I snap out of it, it's actually a positive experience for me.

Recently Drag Ropes by Storm Corrosion gave me chills. Especially combined with the video. Cold Waste by The Foreshadowing just give me chills a week ago too, but that may have been a fluke dependent upon a rare mood. In truth I don't listen to enough very serious music so maybe my sample size is small, and when I do it's not scary. I don't become afraid of anything from most black or death metal unless it startles me. Blast some Fleshgod Apocalypse in the middle of the night to wake me up and I'll be startled for about 5 seconds and then realize that this shit kicks ass. The black metal bands I've heard have been interesting and fun to listen to, and it is sure to scare someone else but not me. Most of this thread is effectively good art to me.

Death metal just doesn't do it for me, it's nice to appreciate the musicianship but I'm not afraid of any of it, because I have never taken it seriously. All right some of that is pretty dark but it feels contrived. People who appreciate the art of morbid stuff will enjoy it for that but I'm not one of them.

As for Burzum, yes that might be the one exception. Like I said above, to scare me you have to connect me to reality. Varg is 100% legit, the dude weirds me out. I haven't listened to their latest yet. Do I dare? (I dare...)

Anybody have any examples of other musicians who are legit like Varg and play in extreme metal?

edit: Emperor is a good example of my problem. It's a band that writes masterfully terrifying songs, the kind of songs that would fuck old ladies up proper. But I just listen and think "daamn it would be badass to be a necromancer or some shit. I'm desensitized to fantasy horror.

I suppose that even though I'm not afraid of anything heavy I could still objectively judge heavy music designed to be scary with a hypothetical scale based on what would scare your average person who hasn't habituated to it. And a lot of the music posted lives up to it. Bishop Of Hexen was pretty good.
16.06.2012 - 09:11
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Guest on 16.06.2012 at 06:23

And I was sitting in my bed late at night thinking about what just might be the worst way to die.

In fact the most chilling music for me has direct ties to reality. In reality there are no demons or monsters, only in the minds and actions of people.

Awake is also a creepy album for me. Very psychological, very inner-demon oriented. Great lyrics and haunting tunes that hit home.

All in all I don't get scared anymore. I get chills that make me think long and hard about life and the dark places that it can lead. Not that I fear them but they take me out of the every day narrative of normal life to a place on the fringe of reality where everyone no matter who they are will feel a little uneasy and vulnerable. Then I snap out of it, it's actually a positive experience for me.

I'm desensitized to fantasy horror.

I suppose that even though I'm not afraid of anything heavy I could still objectively judge heavy music designed to be scary with a hypothetical scale based on what would scare your average person who hasn't habituated to it.

As per usual, I could sign several of your lines
----
7.0 means the album is good
16.06.2012 - 13:23
mz
The closest thing to scary would be esoteric, maniacal vale for me,especially "circle" and "quickening"
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
16.06.2012 - 23:08
malaikat
Dead Skin Mask. First time I listened to it was one night when I was returnig from school. When that little girl started speaking, I thought it came somewhere behind me, I nearly had a stroke.
17.06.2012 - 18:46
The Serpent
Scott Walker-cue although not metal but it is scariest song i ever heard.
18.06.2012 - 13:26
arwestromen
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath. Play that one dark night
Type O negative - Black Sabbath. Same thing but a bit scarier
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
19.06.2012 - 05:52
FOOCK Nam
Indeed those songs you guys posted are very cold, I especially like the Khanate one, I find it better than Sun O)))

these more two songs I also find scary

Funnily it is made by Stratovarius Euro power metal band

Evenfall, the vocal is shreking annoying and horror as hell

I forgot a song name from Tristania, with violin tune like cremation music so eerie, seems gothic metal can provide typical dark icing rythm

I guess metal is music of extreme so majority of all scary songs could be fall in metal genre
21.06.2012 - 05:44
Mr. Blonde
Someone was scared by Stratovarious? Not sure if srs?

Not metal, but look up Torture Chamber by Whitehouse. It's freaky deeky noise and it will surprise the living shit out of anyone at high volume.
24.06.2012 - 12:55
tuthitamlut
Septic Flesh - Persepolis
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
25.06.2012 - 21:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 14.06.2012 at 11:14

King Diamond. The insane genius is loved or hated; and those that love it get it. Those that get it FEEL it. I still get chills when I listen to most of his early catalogue (and even a good bit of newer stuff), largely due to some terrifying effects his music had on me as a child. That is all I will say on this.

I agree on KD. I remember once I was alone at home and listened to "Satan's Fall" when that twisted, evil laughter started and I was all like "holy shit!" not really being scared but more like "what the hell is that??".. I knew Mercyful Fate were a pretty gnarly band back then but didn't expect anything like that. Oh yeah "The Oath" is also creepy as fuck. I can't wait until Mercyful Fate finally reforms.

And I also agree on Abigail, that album has no "Grannnndmaaaa" and other potentially funny moments. The lyrics are just... wrong.
26.06.2012 - 14:21
A lot of Dark Ambient does the trick for me.

Something like that. Put the headphones on at night, have a listen and close your eyes! Picture the landscape as to where it takes you. It's interesteing.
26.06.2012 - 22:22
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 25.06.2012 at 21:08

And I also agree on Abigail, that album has no "Grannnndmaaaa" and other potentially funny moments. The lyrics are just... wrong.

Freaky and disturbing wrong or embarrassing and face-palming wrong?
26.06.2012 - 23:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 26.06.2012 at 22:22

definitely disturbing-wrong.
29.06.2012 - 22:49
axelx666
Nine inch nails's eraser..that song is beyond creepy and i've listened to cannibal corpse,mayhem,and a lot of other black/death bands..BUT THAT SONG IS FREAKY!
if you haven't heard it..don't. the backstory is a man after he blew his face off with a shotgun..the only lyrics are "kill me" "kill me" over and over again..
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
01.07.2012 - 04:54
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 26.06.2012 at 23:00

Written by Guest on 26.06.2012 at 22:22

definitely disturbing-wrong.

Fo' real. Seriously. Duuude...

I can't say I'm necessarily scared but it's definitely a "Wtf" sort of feeling with him. Awesome music, though.
10.07.2012 - 15:51
moribun
Scary songs? Oh no, what's the definition of scary songs? Give you goosebumps?
Then guess every good one is haha
12.08.2012 - 23:48
FOOCK Nam
Hell this one:
13.08.2012 - 14:18
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Stalaggh. The most disturbing "music" I've ever heard. "Projekt Misanthropia" is insane, figuratively and literally.
Note the parentheses - I'm not sure this noise can be called music at all.
13.08.2012 - 16:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Daniell on 13.08.2012 at 14:18
I'm not sure this noise can be called music at all.

Well... there's Noise music.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.08.2012 - 16:28
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Well the band Arbor Released a demo version of The Plutonian Shore in like April, and the song The Trees was the only one that had vocals at the time, and it was just raw and spiteful, bad production and emotional lyrics and vocals really brought out the song.

By the end I just said... "Damn..."
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.08.2012 - 17:41
Druss
Silencer's only album was probably the scariest thing I've ever heard, metal-wise. I'm a bit of a paranoid-insomniac, so you can imagine how Nottramn's screams were affecting me at night, lol.
14.08.2012 - 15:04
Lit.
Account deleted
I liked a good amount of Gangrene by Mirrorthrone (No One By My Side, So Frail) but Ganglion gave me chills first time I heard it. Those vocals in the beginning and one of the solos. What is that? A violin?
14.08.2012 - 21:22
FOOCK Nam
Written by Guest on 14.08.2012 at 15:04

I liked a good amount of Gangrene by Mirrorthrone (No One By My Side, So Frail) but Ganglion gave me chills first time I heard it. Those vocals in the beginning and one of the solos. What is that? A violin?

I really enjoy the song. I guess it could be violin or keyboard with synth, Mirrorthrone I feel he has huge influenced of classcial in their using of instruments.
19.08.2012 - 07:10
tuerda
Khanate is without a doubt the band that has made the most terrifying music I have ever heard. For a specific song, I guess I would choose "too close enough to touch", probably because it was my first one and I was not ready for it. Oh, and I am NOT linking any Khanate songs. You know how to use Youtube: Go scar your own damn minds.
19.08.2012 - 07:40
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Darkfiber on 16.06.2012 at 03:37

This song scares the shit out of me and I have no idea why, because I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be funny.

dude this is actually scary I must admit lol... quite fucked up
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here