Metal Storm logo
Mories (Gnaw Their Tongues, De Magia Veterum, Cloak Of Altering, etc)

Original post

Posted by X-Ray Rod, 13.06.2012 - 17:12
Woah, no thread for one of the greatest forces in the world of ultra tormented music? Not on my watch.
Maurice de Jong AKA Mories is the mind behind many projects that go from Black, drone, noise, ambient and all in between. He's one hell of a busy bee, constantly releasing new stuff from all his different projects:
- Gnaw Their Tongues (Probably the most well known and sickest one)
- De Magia Veterum (A slightly more structured take on black metal, just as unique though)
- Cloak Of Altering (Quite magestic stuff... A sense of melody here)
- Aderlating (Mostly ambient-like stuff but still some burst of insanity)
- Seirom (Ambient, this is where Mories makes some stuff that is actually uplifting and light. Very interesting!)

...and some others I'm not familiar with. He has also worked (providing samples, mastering or artwork) for many other extreme metal bands like Alkerdeel, Anaal Nathrakh,The Austrasian Goat, The Beast of the Apocalypse, etc.

So yeah folks... Here's a thread to discuss about this genius of extreme music and layers. Here you have a taste for each of the projects I just named!

Discuss!

_______

Written by Oaken on 13.06.2012 at 16:01

Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.06.2012 at 15:57

I'm getting used to hear more structure-challenging projects by now (mostly thanks to Mories).

The guy from Cloak Of Altering?

Cloak Of Altering is actually one of his most accessible projects. His projects In order from more to less structured would be:
- Cloak Of Altering
- De Magia Veterum
- Gnaw Their Tongues (This is where shit starts to get dizzy in terms of structure)
- Aderlating

Even so, I still think there's a large amount of structure in his work but he has the ability to confuse you and make you think otherwise. Gnaw Their Tongues is my favorite out of those I named but not by much as I love everything he has ever done.
21.08.2014 - 01:30
mz

We might have been missing something from him this year:
on bandcamp, there are two new albums, by two bands I didn't know about: Pyriphlegethon and Temple of Will. Moreover, I though that Creation Myths was by Seirom but it is actually by another band named It Only Gets Worse. So, we should add 3 more bands to his disco.
http://gnawtheirtongues.bandcamp.com/

I'm checking them right now.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
21.08.2014 - 02:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
An alright artist this guy is but nothing more. He did some great stuff but proved with Seirom he is actually just extremely boring average
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2014 - 09:58
mz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2014 at 02:19

An alright artist this guy is but nothing more. He did some great stuff but proved with Seirom he is actually just extremely boring average

I wouldn't judge him by Seirom. For me, the most representative band of him is GTT, which is one of my top 5 most favorite bands ever. As you said, he have done great stuff. I also really fucking love aderlating, CoA and DMV in descending order.
Seirom seems to be the kind of stuff he makes to cheer himself up from all the disturbing stuff he regularly does. It's pretty sweet and simplistic. I admit that if it was not for him, I wouldn't have checked this band. It's nice for what it is and nothing more but I can see why you don't like it.
----
21.08.2014 - 16:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Temple of Will is sounding quite nice. Nothing WOW but still interesting. Mories doing some slower stuff, almost funeral doom metal at some points with drone and ambient in between. It dates back from 2011 though.

As for Seirom I like it. The full lengths provide a bit more than the EPs actually. Some moments even with speed and blastbeats. You need to like your shoegaze though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.08.2014 - 17:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
You have a weird sense of logic Marcel. He released some great stuff but you don't like one of his projects so that makes him "alright"? He has like 12 different things going on simultaneously and still manages to create some interesting music.

I don't personally like most of it, but I just thought that was a weird reason for saying he proved himself to be boring/average.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.08.2014 - 22:54
mz

^ Next time he'd say Mories is the coldplay of noise/black metal
----
21.08.2014 - 22:56
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by mz on 21.08.2014 at 22:54

LOL at that reference
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
21.08.2014 - 23:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by mz on 21.08.2014 at 22:54

That he isn't. He is no Kent and Lifelover
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2014 - 23:50
mz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2014 at 23:19

That he isn't. He is no Kent and Lifelover

Oh thanks God
----
22.08.2014 - 00:22
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2014 at 02:19

Are you really going to judge him solely on one of his smaller (than CoA and GTT at least) projects? Also Seirom is brilliant so....fuck you
30.11.2014 - 21:42
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
The two new tracks off of the upcoming Cloak Of Altering album sound really nice. Much darker than the other CoA albums, and pretty in-line with what Maurice told me he wanted the new album to sound like (we chatted on FB, he said he wanted to incorporate more sci-fi, cinematic, and organic elements. So that means a bit of a stem away from the electronic focus that I loved on NONE, but still some really fucking good music.

01.12.2014 - 18:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
It definitely sounds more mechanical. Sounds lovely.

Oh btw: I'm working for the inclusion of Seirom. A special review awaits as well.
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.12.2014 - 04:00
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.12.2014 at 18:22

It definitely sounds more mechanical. Sounds lovely.

Oh btw: I'm working for the inclusion of Seirom. A special review awaits as well.

Inclusion of Seirom on MS? Do they really fit, like, at all? I mean I love that project, but still. Also, those tracks are definitely much more mechanical, and it's pretty obvious that Mories just wanted to take a new direction with CoA. I'm crazy excited to see how the full thing plays out
04.12.2014 - 16:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Alex F on 04.12.2014 at 04:00

Inclusion of Seirom on MS? Do they really fit, like, at all? I mean I love that project, but still.

I have two answers for that question:

1) There are debates between the staff/elites about these cases but most people dont have a problem about adding projects that are not metal as long as they are strongly tied with the metal genre which is the case of MAAAAAAAANY already well entablished band pages around here and also the case with Seirom, so that one ain't a biggie.

2) At least the second half of tracks like this one can easily be called ambient black/ blackgaze (lolz at that name but it works for this).
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.12.2014 - 18:44
mz

Yeah that review is in progress for ages it seems :p
also, I definitely think that inclusion of aderlating would be much better for MS, as that band has more metal aesthetic. Not that I'm complaining about inclusion of seirom, though
----
04.12.2014 - 18:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by mz on 04.12.2014 at 18:44

Yeah that review is in progress for ages it seems :p
also, I definitely think that inclusion of aderlating would be much better for MS, as that band has more metal aesthetic. Not that I'm complaining about inclusion of seirom, though

As a matter of fact: It's done since last weekend but I dont have the perms to make a bandpage and I asked and still dont get help.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.09.2016 - 14:43
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This guy's birthday today. Here's to wishing he lives for another 43 years.
05.09.2016 - 22:05
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Its his birthday today? What a coincidence that exactly today I listened to Seiroms 1973 after work. Was reminded what a genious this guy is.
20.09.2016 - 20:51
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Maybe its a dutch thing I don't know but his electronic influences and production are quite over-the-top, filled up with relentless sense of urgency and rapid filling electronic drums. Absolutely fucking love this gabber influenced album.

I think this guy interests me more and more to delive into the dutch scene. Bong-Ra's Jason Kohnen and Arjen Lucassen are my only other favorite dutch musicians atm. Need to explore the music scene there more.
21.09.2016 - 09:53
Ganondox

Gnaw Their Tongues is some of the most brutal black metal I've ever heard. Some of the most brutal metal in general, only topped by the heaviest ends of death metal, metalcore, and grindore.
21.09.2016 - 20:34
mz

Would definitely not call GTT a heavy or brutal band.
----
21.09.2016 - 22:46
Mikolaj
Account deleted
GTT definitely is a bit brutal. Not in the sense like brutal death metal but just the whole connection of emotions,vocals, atmosphere and intensity.
21.09.2016 - 22:51
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Yeah, "heavy" is kind of a relative term if you think about it.
I can't remember any brutal death or grindcore I consider heavy, because it's those genres where the bands bash their instruments too loudly that one can hardly recognize anything let alone the band stand out for itself, so after a while you get so used to it it's like it's not even heavy anymore.
Now GTT... GTT definitely leaves a dark, distinct and uneasy impression. that's why I consider it a hell of a heavy band...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
21.10.2016 - 21:05
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Apart from Grand Celestial Nightmare, the Mories camp is too silent this year. Lets see if he drops some surprise whoppers before the end of the year.
11.11.2016 - 06:01
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Loving these promo shots of him for the new album.