01. Intro
02. In Solitary Ruin
03. Accursed Premonition
04. The Mournful Refusal
05. Pavor Nocturnus
06. Antithesis Of Light
07. The Last Of Vitality
08. Coveting Elysium [limited edition bonus]

In a devout and ritual oriented way, this is how you must put in your CD-player "Antithesis Of Light" because we're talking about the best, probably, doom metal release of 2005 coming from a renowned band, Evoken.

And suddenly the horizon darkens, swallowing every single ray of light that tries to penetrate the gloomy clouds, hate and pain are the only emotions that reign supreme and everything starts decomposing. "Antithesis Of Light" is a rotten album, yes, rotten, filled with hate, pain and despise for everything pure. "Antithesis Of Light" is the dark esotericism that lies behind every twisted imagination and awaits for any moment to drown the listener in the depths of this fathomless imaginary world that becomes more and more vivid as the album flows slowly and in a torturing way.

The guitar riffs are slow and mourning, painting the soundscape with utter grey, a colour that blackens dangerously at times when the outbursts make the overall atmosphere more eerie and intense, while some solos that make their appearance harmonize beautifully with the overall atmosphere of the song. The keyboards and the FX make the overall feeling of the album more misty and nightmarish, evoking a lethargic yet menacing aesthetic, and the rhythm section is exceptionally imposing and creative, forming the ideal walls of sound that imprison the listener in a lair where his worst fears turn to life. The deep grunting vocals are just like they should be, unearthly, powerful and paranoid, adding their disharmonic darkness to the overall majesty of Evoken's latest masterpiece.

Concerning the production of "Antithesis Of Light"; it's very good, not the best when we talk about production generally, but it's for sure the best and most ideal for this album, making the overall atmosphere more gloomy and devout in a morbid way. The lyrics have a poetic approach, yet they might seem simplistic at times, but they are so expressive, so blackened with ravenous emotions, that they add a special sense to the songs of Evoken in the way they are being interpreted by John Paradiso!

"Antithesis Of Light" is one of those albums you must get to show that you really care about yourself, simply because compositions like the imposing "In Solitary Ruin", the nightmarish "Accursed Premonition", the powerfully lyrical "The Mournful Refusal", the utterly mourning "Pavor Nocturnus", the beautifully atmospheric "Antithesis Of Light" and the eerie "The Last Of Vitality" are not of those songs that a band composes every day.

So, concluding, if you find "Antithesis Of Light" in a music store don't do the mistake and pass it by, you will be missing a new doom metal diamond from a band that has still a lot to offer in the rotten world of doom/death metal, because it's not only mourning and sorrow, it's also hate, pain and disgust.

"And from the haunted arms of Morpheus,
We arise to a different despair?"

Written on 25.11.2005 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 152 users
11.11.2006 - 21:38
DragonSlayer
Account deleted
Awesome album and the review is spot on! There isnt not even a single minuscle ray of light coming form this album... just pure evil and darkness!
11.11.2006 - 22:29
Southern Wind
Account deleted
yeap... this is a perfect death/doom album
11.11.2006 - 22:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 11.11.2006 at 22:29

Death/doom? Okay, I've seen this album described as such on several other sites and forums. But IMO it is way more funeral doom than death/doom. Great album nonetheless.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.11.2006 - 22:40
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.11.2006 at 22:32

Death/doom? Okay, I've seen this album described as such on several other sites and forums. But IMO it is way more funeral doom than death/doom. Great album nonetheless.

Funeral Doom = ultra-slow doom, nothing more than that... it's a totally arbitrary "genre" that has no reason to exist... but well, it's my opinion and as usual no one will agree with me...
11.11.2006 - 22:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 11.11.2006 at 22:40

Funeral Doom = ultra-slow doom, nothing more than that... it's a totally arbitrary "genre" that has no reason to exist... but well, it's my opinion and as usual no one will agree with me...

Well, in this case I think most people will agree with you and NOOT with me. Even www.doom-metal.com classifies them as death/doom. So it seems like I might be the only person on the face of this earth classifying them as funeral doom.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.11.2006 - 23:39
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.11.2006 at 22:52

Well, in this case I think most people will agree with you and NOOT with me. Even www.doom-metal.com classifies them as death/doom. So it seems like I might be the only person on the face of this earth classifying them as funeral doom.

Well, seems like I didn't explain myself well... I think Evoken would qualify as Funeral Doom, but I don't think that should exist at all as a genre... Evoken are Death/Doom and.... also "funeral doom"... Nortt are Black/Doom and well, also Funeral Doom but because they are super-slow, not because they belong to a different genre, at all...

nd about doom-metal.com, couldn't take them seriously if they feature Cephalic Carnage in their list....
11.11.2006 - 23:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 11.11.2006 at 23:39

Well, seems like I didn't explain myself well... I think Evoken would qualify as Funeral Doom, but I don't think that should exist at all as a genre... Evoken are Death/Doom and.... also "funeral doom"... Nortt are Black/Doom and well, also Funeral Doom but because they are super-slow, not because they belong to a different genre, at all...

nd about doom-metal.com, couldn't take them seriously if they feature Cephalic Carnage in their list....

Well read the review for that Cephalic Carnage release and I heard that release and YES that release IS doom. But Cephalic Carnage aren't doom at all for their other relases.
But back to funral doom or not, what would yyou call Skepticism, Thergothon, Shape of Despair, Until Death Overtakes Me?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.11.2006 - 00:38
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.11.2006 at 23:42

Written by Guest on 11.11.2006 at 23:39

Well read the review for that Cephalic Carnage release and I heard that release and YES that release IS doom. But Cephalic Carnage aren't doom at all for their other relases.
But back to funral doom or not, what would yyou call Skepticism, Thergothon, Shape of Despair, Until Death Overtakes Me?

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
12.11.2006 - 00:41
Southern Wind
Account deleted
now, seriously, let me counter-ask you what do you see so similar between Evoken and, let's say, UDOM to label them on the same sub-genre, besides the slowness??? and I don't consider slowness a strong enough criteria to write a new genre...
12.11.2006 - 00:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
No, that's not really enough for a new (sub-)genre. But Funeral Doom just sounds fucking awesome, way better than Death/Doom. Isn't that enough.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.11.2006 - 06:39
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 12.11.2006 at 00:45

No, that's not really enough for a new (sub-)genre. But Funeral Doom just sounds fucking awesome, way better than Death/Doom. Isn't that enough.

you're right... "awesomeness" is a better criterian than "slowness" for creating a genre... conclusion: Skepticism and Virgin Steele belong to the same genre
13.11.2006 - 13:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 12.11.2006 at 06:39

Written by Lucas on 12.11.2006 at 00:45

you're right... "awesomeness" is a better criterian than "slowness" for creating a genre... conclusion: Skepticism and Virgin Steele belong to the same genre

you know what i mean, me thinks. i just was wrng adding that sentence.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.08.2007 - 14:17
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
This album is fantastic, as dark as music can be. 10/10, probably even better than Embrace The Emptiness.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
01.09.2007 - 01:26
W-Lash
Metal Master
Maybe it's slow, dark, depressive or whatever. But all these songs are so boooring.
12.06.2010 - 12:24
Rating: 10
advent

Great one, it evokes every single impure rotten and hatred filling u have.
22.05.2011 - 10:33
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Rotten Doom!!!
04.09.2012 - 07:54
Rating: 9
a MasT

Yessss so good
21.02.2015 - 18:23
Rating: 9
Erik M.

This CD just arrived. On the packaging it says "Third album from one of the purveyors of US death/doom metal, including a rare bonus track" followed up by ""Antithesis Of Light" is the dark esotericism that lies behind every twisted imagination... a new doom metal diamond" - MetalStorm
28.08.2015 - 18:55
Satyr73

The "Similar Artists" tab should be disabled for EVOKEN. There's no other band that sounds like this.

Hits total: 9835 | This month: 18