Metal Storm logo
Any "background" music suggestions?

14.06.2012 - 15:58
Spellsword95
Hey there, I am artist and I draw a lot late in evenings. Can you suggest some metal that I can listen to when sitting for hours? Something that plays in the background and don't draw attention? To replace background noise and annoying family members etc.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions, thanks!
14.06.2012 - 16:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I never go out of my way to listen to background music, but I find a lot of atmospheric stuff works rather well. Pretty much any post-metal/atmospheric sludge band and atmospheric black metal band will work, and a lot of melodic death metal as well.

Funeral doom and progressive metal work well too, even though funeral doom is good for its repetition and lack of variation while prog is good for its unnecessary technicality.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.06.2012 - 16:27
Grullok
Try Moonsorrow, especially the album "V: Hävitetty". It's fairly ambient and generally not invasive, so it makes for good background music.
14.06.2012 - 17:43
Edmund Fogg
Here, perfect for background music.

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=28080
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
14.06.2012 - 18:48
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Ambient works well, same with drone.

Try Sunn O))) and Earth.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.06.2012 - 20:42
Spellsword95
Thanks everyone, I'll check it out later.
14.06.2012 - 21:41
IronAngel
This is ridicilously vague, you know. Anything that you consider pleasant and unobtrusive can work as background music, so it's pretty dependant on person. I've always found 2nd wave black metal to be a nice mood setter, but others would cringe at it. What kind of sounds do you consider pleasant or relaxing, and what kind of music do you enjoy in general?
14.06.2012 - 21:51
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
15.06.2012 - 00:34
Oaken
Hipster
You should try some post-black, blackgaze or black/ambient. I'd recommend Cold Body Radiation, Lantlôs and ColdWorld. You can also try some astral black metal bands like Darkspace, Alrakis, Sun Of The Blind and Chaos Moon. Those bands try to create a good ambient spacey atmosphere that isn't distracting and inspiring at the same time. If you're trying to draw something sinister, you should listen to Reverorum Ib Malacht or some industrial stuff by Blut Aus Nord.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
15.06.2012 - 13:11
oblong
Account deleted
Usually if I'm drawing or in need of some background music for something similar, I usually listen to (and recommend, if you like it):

- Riverside: Second Life Syndrome, Out of Myself and their latest Memories In My Head.
- King Crimson: any.
- Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons, Falling Into Infinity etc.
- Dol Theeta
- Ulver
- Anathema

Otherwise movie soundtracks or other non-metal tunes etc.
15.06.2012 - 13:40
Try everything "atmospheric". It will be useful as it creates a good atmosphere (if it's good).
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
15.06.2012 - 14:52
Fredd
Account deleted
Hmmm... Summoning and Moonsorrow; long albums, no change of pace and nice atmospheres.. Shoegaze also sets a nice "artistic inspiration" vibe.
15.06.2012 - 15:30
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Ghost by the Devin Townsend Project and Repose by Omit.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
15.06.2012 - 16:55
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
I agree with IronAngel, depends on your tastes, and I daresay what you consider good "background" music would be something you would also enjoy if you were to focus on that music. In other words "background" music would depend upon your tastes in "foreground" music, if you know what I mean. Personally though nothing works better than Ozric Tentacles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVZxpoq166Q
15.06.2012 - 18:17
malaikat
Download Screamer Radio, go to Presets -> By Category -> Downtempo and Lounge (1-50) -> di.fm Ambient / di.fm Lounge / di.fm. Chillout.

Perfect for audio relaxation and long working hours.

If you specifically want metal/rock, try insturmental post- or sludge music. God Is An Astronaut, Tides of Nebula, Explosions in the Sky, Long Distance Calling, Year of No Light, etc. Devin Townsend has a couple of sweet downtempo/ambient albums.

Also, you could try Bonobo or Blockhead, the latter being fantastic instumental-chillout-lounge hip hop artist. And I do mean artist, the stuff that man pulls off with his beats.
15.06.2012 - 19:30
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by M C Vice on 15.06.2012 at 15:30

Ghost by the Devin Townsend Project and Repose by Omit.

Both albums are perfect background music
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.06.2012 - 21:25
Spellsword95
Thanks everyone. So many bands, I have whole weekend to explore them. I already listened to some of them and Moonsorrow with Summoning kicks ass.
15.06.2012 - 21:55
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by R'Vannith on 15.06.2012 at 16:55

Ozric Tentacles

Lol, nice! This band has been around forever! I first discovered them thru a Rush fanzine in the early '90s. Awesome rec!
----
rekt
17.06.2012 - 00:27
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Spellsword95 on 15.06.2012 at 21:25

Thanks everyone. So many bands, I have whole weekend to explore them. I already listened to some of them and Moonsorrow with Summoning kicks ass.

17.06.2012 - 00:47
dougver1
I've found Alcest and Agalloch are generally good choices for when I'm making art. I've also found Opeth's 'Damnation' is really good for just concentrating and having background stuff going on, it's very nerve-calming.
17.06.2012 - 05:22
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Ixion's To The Void. I forgot about it.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
17.06.2012 - 13:23
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 15.06.2012 at 21:55

Lol, nice! This band has been around forever! I first discovered them thru a Rush fanzine in the early '90s. Awesome rec!

Yeah they're an oldie, been around since the late 80's I think. Great spacey stuff to chill out to or have playing while I'm reading, writing a paper or something along those lines. I imagine it might inspire some artistic folks as well.
17.06.2012 - 19:02
Da?bog
Written by dougver1 on 17.06.2012 at 00:47

I've found Alcest and Agalloch are generally good choices.

totaly agreed...
----
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it or who has said it, unless it agrees whit your own reason and your own common sense...
22.06.2012 - 05:23
Necrox
Opeth- Blackwater Park (haunting, dark, and beautiful)/ Morningrise (melancholy beauty)
22.06.2012 - 17:11
Bonna
Spaces - Nothing Exists But Atoms and The Void
Shells - Plains of the Purple Buffalo

prog rock/metal!

The new Burzum is a nice background album as well
22.06.2012 - 22:41
Windir
Porcupine Tree is pretty ambient, it's not metal or rock, it's just in between.
23.06.2012 - 00:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Bonna on 22.06.2012 at 17:11

And coincidentally a great album to kill yourself to.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.06.2012 - 00:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.06.2012 at 00:07

Written by Bonna on 22.06.2012 at 17:11

And coincidentally a great album to kill yourself to.

I was waiting for that
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.06.2012 - 15:03
Lit.
Account deleted
King Crimson.
25.06.2012 - 09:55
Aristarchos
Wolves in the throne room