Style: Black metal, Celtic folk metal
Release date: 2010

01. Passage du ressac
02. Suaires de brume
03. Orage d'acier
04. Sentiers d'embruns
05. Avel an Hanternoz
06. Tourbière du repos

Hanternoz, a French black metal band not in any way connected with flag bearers such as Deathspell Omega or Blut Aus Nord, released this EP back in 2010, most likely hoping for more people like me to pick up on it and write a few nice words about it here and there.

Truth be told, there are definitely some nice words one can say about this release. The grimy production and traditional straightforward black metal riffing bring to mind the likes of pretty much any Norwegian black metal outfit from the second wave, yet they aren't limited to such a restricted niche. Linceuls d'écume features a ton of folk metal elements, with an emphasis put on the flute. This melodic, not-necessarily cheesy touch helps the listener digest the music easier as a whole.

Imagine mixing the Braveheart OST with early Darkthrone, but replace Fenriz with a vocalist who employs a far deeper form of grunting as opposed to the typical black metal shriek, and you have a pretty good understanding of what this band sounds like. Some of the riffs seem to come straight out of the '90s, while others take a more modern melodic influence and benefit from the use of the keyboard.

Even if you share my love affair with extreme, raw, primitive black metal with a do-it-yourself sound, this EP doesn't have a strong enough enticement factor to elevate one's interest beyond listening to it once or twice. The songs lack any kind of dynamic appeal, especially once you've gotten over the fact they implement some joyous Celtic instrumentation, but there is potential in the songwriting that suggests these guys might one day step up and achieve the same level of success as fellow Celtic metal countrymates Bran Barr.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 14.06.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 57 users
14.06.2012 - 17:31
Lokaeda
Account deleted
Thanks for the review, notes have been taken As for the rating itself, I was expecting something like that, so no big surprise

We'll definitely try to improve the sound quality on the next one, since we now have a friend (and semi-pro) from Norway doing it for most albums of the label, we'll see how things come out at the end
14.06.2012 - 17:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 14.06.2012 at 17:31
We'll definitely try to improve the sound quality on the next one, since we now have a friend (and semi-pro) from Norway doing it for most albums of the label, we'll see how things come out at the end

Honestly if this had a thicker production where the guitars were more prominent in the mix and didn't feel so "sharp", this would have been much better (at least for me). The drums seem rather buried as well, so hopefully you guys are able to work that out.

If you get a full-length under your belt, I'd definitely be interesting in reviewing it. For the front page, no less.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.06.2012 - 17:36
Lokaeda
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.06.2012 at 17:33

If you get a full-length under your belt, I'd definitely be interesting in reviewing it. For the front page, no less.

I'm doubtful about the record coming out before the end of the year (regarding the band members' agenda), but we'll still start working on it as soon as the end of the month
14.06.2012 - 18:36
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I haven't heard all the tracks off of this yet, but I can say the song off of their split is fantastic.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.06.2012 - 21:45
Rating: 8
~Starchild~

Written by Boxcar Willy on 14.06.2012 at 18:36

but I can say the song off of their split is fantastic.

that I can agree with 100%

Hits total: 3387 | This month: 6