Metal Storm logo
Best Lyrics/Best Lyricist

12.11.2006 - 04:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Wanted to see who thinks which band/musician writes the best lyrics, and why. feel free to list examples.

My favorite would be Dave Mustaine of Megadeth, especially in the songs 'foreclosure of a dream' and 'captive honour' he is able to achieve phenominal lyrical content without losing poetic structure and rythm.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.11.2006 - 15:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hmmmm

Well IMO its its all DOOM bands, exept traditional, moustly all doom metal abnds write best poesm, lyrics and stories, its life, emotions and soul there read Poema Arcanus - ''Female Poisen'' and you understand, but you can read almoust all doom metal lyric and you will understad why

Alos Gothic and Melodic Black ha sgood lyrics. poems
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.11.2006 - 16:40
Dam3k
It's a shame that most of people don't speak spanish, cuz Mägo de Oz lyrics are pretty amazing!! I think Txus has a lot of talent... seriously they have really good lyrics!!
----

12.11.2006 - 17:02
FOOCK Nam
Written by Dam3k on 12.11.2006 at 16:40

It's a shame that most of people don't speak spanish, cuz Mägo de Oz lyrics are pretty amazing!! I think Txus has a lot of talent... seriously they have really good lyrics!!

Can u translate some u consider good? just only Im curious about spainish lyrics
12.11.2006 - 19:43
Baz Anderson
staff
Ihsahn, the mastermind behind Emperor is the only person that i can remember right now that has written lyrics that have had me totally sucked into
the 'Prometheus...' album is best for lyrics in mt opinion
12.11.2006 - 20:22
Dam3k
Written by FOOCK Nam on 12.11.2006 at 17:02

Written by Dam3k on 12.11.2006 at 16:40

Can u translate some u consider good? just only Im curious about spainish lyrics

haha ye I could translate the sense but not very good the feeling, anyway, if u want more concrete transtion pm and i'll answer u, just send me the song u want to be translated
----

12.11.2006 - 21:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i like tuomas holopainen, he has a very good flow and maintains a perfect balance between the 2 extremes of metal music lyrics, "emo" and "aggresive"
and as for others i might say iced earth and therion, for the wonderful fantasy and mythology related lyrics
and the worst lyrics, maybe CoB(though the music is a billion times better)
12.11.2006 - 22:54
Lorien
Account deleted
Tuomas Holopainen although he sometimes puts lyrics so complicated that only he understands it, but whatever he writes leaves great impression on me...
12.11.2006 - 23:06
Fallen'Angel
----
Im Your Source of Self-Destruction !
12.11.2006 - 23:15
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
For me some of the best lyrics come from Anathema, Opeth, Dark Tranquillity and Lacrimas Profundere just to mention some. But I agree with kariasakis when he says doom metal bands have very good lyrics.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.11.2006 - 23:25
tulkas
el parcero
Tony Kakko has written some of my favorite lyrics ever, everything he writes has something special about it that makes me indentify with it, or just get to me. I think he's one of the best lyricists IMO
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
13.11.2006 - 01:01
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Walkyier of Skyclad is a brilliant, magnificient lyricist, his lyrics are fucking genius at times, his puns, word play, biting commentary...true awesomeness.

And nobody can ever doubt Manowar's lyrics, they're fucking immense.

Also, really depends on your definition of a 'good' lyricists or good lyrics. I don't think, for example, that Manowar's lyrics are particularly intelligent, but they're so rousing and well thought-out that you can't help but love it (or hate it), while Walkyier has, as said, intelligent social commentary and uses a lot of puns and word play very intelligently.

Or do you mean political lyrics, like Nevermore? It's a very hard question with no real answer.
13.11.2006 - 01:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 12.11.2006 at 23:15

For me some of the best lyrics come from Anathema, Opeth, Dark Tranquillity and Lacrimas Profundere just to mention some. But I agree with kariasakis when he says doom metal bands have very good lyrics.

Hmmm Old Anathema, Opeth, but dark Tranquility I only like ''ThereIn'' one I was walking in forest and just compose poem because of that song, but when came home(I lost there) I Forgot almoust all what i compose in forest
----

apos;'
[image]
13.11.2006 - 04:01
Carlithrash
Account deleted
Death's lyrics are great, Chuck wrote about really intelligent themes, for example, "Lack of Comprehension", "Empty words","Symbolic","Pull the plug","Open Casket",etc. Also like Immortal's and Kreator's, Coma of Souls rules.
13.11.2006 - 07:52
FOOCK Nam
I dont listen to much doom so dont know much their lyrics, I ll check doom metal's lyric out as you guys mentioned

My favorites lyrics are attitudes of Manowar, Children of Bodom, Motorhead, proportional composer are Joe DeMaio, Alexi Laiho, and Motorhead composer, and more concretely I like the lyric of these songs Brother Of Metal, Heart of Steel which are Manowar's, Toward Deads End, HateCrew, of Children of Bodom, and We Are The Road Crew of Motorhead, and only a song's lyric of The Book Of Heavy Metal of Dream Evil whose compser propotionaly is Snowy.

Dark Tranquility I also listen to only the song "There in", its melody is very catchy. But I like it only for the music, not care of lyric.
@Dam3k, because now I dont have any spainish lyric, so when I have any I ll ask u
13.11.2006 - 13:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Death write intelectual lyrics I dont see intlectual lyric about Leprosy and think's like that, its stupid and moustly death metal bands use them to give to us them negative energy about life, I cant read thos elyrics
Same how Jet_Viking mention CoB, its non sense, same Manowar and other simmilar bands its non sense
No Poetry I like melo black and DOOM there etliest are soemphilosophical sence
and man muisc and lyrics, I care more about lyrics I cant listen if thay are ugly

Also I dont see sence of this tread,
----

apos;'
[image]
13.11.2006 - 17:02
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Hm.... I think Death have the best lyrics, also Doom metal bands have amazing lyrics.
----
13.11.2006 - 20:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
You guys are forgetting someone. Warrel Dane!

Seriously the best lyricist around, damn that guy is brilliant. By far my favorite.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.11.2006 - 23:26
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I did mention Nevermore, I find their lyrics great, but they are political, and not satirical or thoughtful - while Skyclad have great satire and punnery.

I'm surprised there are so few Nevermore / Skyclad fans, come to think of it, while I agree Death have some brilliant lyrics, they're also a bit too straight-forward.

I love Vintersorg's lyrics, but best, hardly, or Pagan's Mind's lyrics.
15.11.2006 - 04:47
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I think the best lyrics come from Opeth, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Pig Destroyer, Death, Nile, and I am kind of amazed that no one has mentioned Iced Earth (mainly Jon Schaffer). All the trilogies that Schaffer has written are awesome. Just take a look at Something Wicked or Dante's Inferno.
15.11.2006 - 12:04
Warman
Erotic Stains
Dani Filth writes the best lyrics without doubt, Cradle of Filth has some of my favourite lyrics. I especially love the "Damnation and a Day" lyrics, like "Hurt and Virtue": "His seal He tore/And to the floor/He threw this tie to Heaven/Signifying holy war"
----
16.11.2006 - 06:40
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 15.11.2006 at 12:04

Dani Filth writes the best lyrics without doubt, Cradle of Filth has some of my favourite lyrics. I especially love the "Damnation and a Day" lyrics, like "Hurt and Virtue": "His seal He tore/And to the floor/He threw this tie to Heaven/Signifying holy war"

I have to agree with you... I confess that I had never read the lyrics of their later albums, but those of "The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh" are just extraordinary... I happen to love that dark erotic poetry...

I also love the lyrics of Poema Arcanus... I know K7 will agree with e on this one
16.11.2006 - 13:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 16.11.2006 at 06:40

Written by Warman on 15.11.2006 at 12:04

I have to agree with you... I confess that I had never read the lyrics of their later albums, but those of "The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh" are just extraordinary... I happen to love that dark erotic poetry...

I also love the lyrics of Poema Arcanus... I know K7 will agree with e on this one

Well eroti poetry ar egood but not Dani case

Well Poema Arcanus, yes Female Poisen are best song lyriv ever, its so deep and true man seems nobody dont understand art of poetry
----

apos;'
[image]
16.11.2006 - 15:29
Sunioj
Ihsahn, Jon Nodveidt I think have the most complicated lyrics as well as Ashmedi, Morbids angels lyrics, because they are thought provoking and erie, Chucks lyrics are pretty deep, they are very appreciable...Nergals lyrics are very thelemic, which also attracts my attention.

Written by Lucas on 13.11.2006 at 20:22

You guys are forgetting someone. Warrel Dane!

Seriously the best lyricist around, damn that guy is brilliant. By far my favorite.

I usually dont like political lyrics, but his lyrics are awesome.
17.11.2006 - 20:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by spirit_inblack on 15.11.2006 at 04:47

I think the best lyrics come from Opeth, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Pig Destroyer, Death, Nile, and I am kind of amazed that no one has mentioned Iced Earth (mainly Jon Schaffer). All the trilogies that Schaffer has written are awesome. Just take a look at Something Wicked or Dante's Inferno.

i mentioned iced earth
to add to the list: dragonforce!
but seriously, how about quorthon? one rode to asa bay has fantastic lyrics, and also blood on ice
18.11.2006 - 03:23
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Welll, not teh best lyrics, but Luca Turilli has a great imagination, you know, The Algaord Chronicles... Also The Cosmic Saga, and Dreamquest lyrics. He has to have a lot of imagination to make lyrics for three bands, also when one of them has this fantasy context. He's a genius.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
18.11.2006 - 07:10
duyhung
Account deleted
I like Nightwish's lyrics, very emotional. Besides, the lyrics of Tristania (especially in 'Widow's weeds') are also good ones
18.11.2006 - 11:29
Eight
Shapeshifter
My personal favourite lyrics are: Anathema, Green Carnation and Iron Maiden.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
21.11.2006 - 01:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Eight on 18.11.2006 at 11:29

I agree Iron Maiden specely whit Bruce before he left band and aftre come beck(Pashendaile song) itv was/are good lrics but Anathema, only death/doom era, I realy realy love them in that time
----

apos;'
[image]
21.11.2006 - 22:26
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Bad English on 21.11.2006 at 01:26

Written by Eight on 18.11.2006 at 11:29

I agree Iron Maiden specely whit Bruce before he left band and aftre come beck(Pashendaile song) itv was/are good lrics but Anathema, only death/doom era, I realy realy love them in that time

Dickinson didn't write the lyrics to "Paschendale", or do you mean that they only wrote good lyrics in general when Dickinson was in the band?
----