Metal Storm logo
Best Lyrics/Best Lyricist

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 12.11.2006 - 04:46
Wanted to see who thinks which band/musician writes the best lyrics, and why. feel free to list examples.

My favorite would be Dave Mustaine of Megadeth, especially in the songs 'foreclosure of a dream' and 'captive honour' he is able to achieve phenominal lyrical content without losing poetic structure and rythm.
21.11.2006 - 22:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 21.11.2006 at 22:26

Written by Bad English on 21.11.2006 at 01:26

Written by Eight on 18.11.2006 at 11:29

My personal favourite lyrics are: Anathema, Green Carnation and Iron Maiden.

I agree Iron Maiden specely whit Bruce before he left band and aftre come beck(Pashendaile song) itv was/are good lrics but Anathema, only death/doom era, I realy realy love them in that time

Dickinson didn't write the lyrics to "Paschendale", or do you mean that they only wrote good lyrics in general when Dickinson was in the band?

Yes Iron amiden was bette rlyrics in Dickison era how Blaze, but Paul first album are good too, but still Dickinson when was joung he wrote good
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.11.2006 - 22:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
Ok K7 ... yeah, I guess that the lyrics were better during their Dickinson periods
----
21.11.2006 - 22:48
RavenLord

Written by Guest on 13.11.2006 at 01:01

Walkyier of Skyclad is a brilliant, magnificient lyricist, his lyrics are fucking genius at times, his puns, word play, biting commentary...true awesomeness.

+1. His work in Sabbat shows a true mastery of the English language...he takes words and whips them into shape to suit his own purposes.

For sheer contextual influence, Iron Maiden and Therion are great bands (Maiden for war/literature, Therion for mythological influences)...their lyrics really show a great love of ancient culture and ancient/modern history.

Iced Earth have some great lyrics, too. They did a damn good job condensing Inferno by Dante Alighieri into 16 minutes. And the lyrics on albums like The Dark Saga and Night of the Stormrider, though sometimes clumsy, can be very effective. Burnt Offerings has some great semi-barbaric imagery with respect to Century Media, and Diary is very chilling. Good stuff.
----
22.11.2006 - 23:20
Zendrian
Account deleted
I go with Kamelot, their lyrics are based in a book called Faust (from Epica to ?), Faust is a really philosophical book that tells the story between a man (Ariel or Faust) and a demon (Mephistopeles).

with this elements they create impressive theme albums.
16.03.2007 - 19:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
someone who, in my book at least deserves mentioning as a fantastic lyricist, is matthew barlow, the former iced earth vocalist. just read these:

Profaner to humanity menaced by flesh and bone
Screams of the unknown youth to him the sweetest tone (vengeance is mine)

Forbidden love can only taste this sweet
Not like the others so incomplete
The symbolic arrow that pierces my heart
Takes the shape of a wooden stare
Now I am the one crucified (diary)

fuck yeah!
16.03.2007 - 19:56
tulkas
el parcero
This is good. I would have 2 picks that come to my mind instantly, Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica, and Kanwulf from Nargaroth. IMO they have been able to write really deep, meaningful, beautiful and touching lyrics, at least for my own taste when it comes to reading.

Some of the best poetry I've read has been from these 2 guys, and the writings of both of them have done a lot for me in very different ways. I don't know if someone understands this, but I odn't know how else to say that through their words, they have done lot and that's why I like them as much as I do.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
22.03.2007 - 14:07
FrOsTmOuRnE 0_o
Account deleted
Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica straight out
02.05.2007 - 16:19
Philaenas
Account deleted
I'll have to go with Mikael Akerfeldt here =]. Especially in songs like Hope Leaves or To Bid You Farewell, the lyrics themselves can already bring me to tears somewhat (hearing the music with it does just that every time). Deliverance and Blackwater Park have very powerful lyrics, on the other hand. And when you look at albums like Still Life and My Arms, Your Hearse, it becomes apparent that he is also skilled at writing magnificent concept albums, with touching lyrics. This all imho of course .
02.05.2007 - 16:25
APOHAKC
The Bard
What to say about King Diamond's lyrics? Amazing, I love them...
IT is pleasure to read his lyrics/stories and I never read any stupid lyric by King Diamond
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
02.05.2007 - 17:15
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Dave Mustaine, cause generaly songs are about everyday life and problems in world, and its usualy interpreted in really good way.

Steve Harris - I vont explain why, you all know the songs... but the rest of Maiden crew have some pretty good too.

Chuck Schuldiner - Of course, I mean on Human - The Sound Of Perseverance era.... (control denied too)

And Kai Hansen isnt bad, too.
----
08.05.2007 - 00:20
Trifixion
Account deleted
Lord Worm. The man is a lyrical genius. His lyrics on None So Vile are probably my favorite of his, Blasphemy Made Flesh has great ones too but generally a little less serious. But every song on None So Vile is incredible in terms of lyrics (among everything else.) Benedictine Convulsions probably has the most powerful and disturbing lyrics I've ever read. And you have to be sick to think of a song title called Angelskingarden.
08.05.2007 - 11:54
l33t_sas
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.03.2007 at 14:07

Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica straight out

Are you kidding? I love Sonata but Kakko's lyrics are among the cheesiest shit ever.

My vote for best lyricist goes to Warrel Dane from Nevermore. Fucking awesome.
08.05.2007 - 13:36
Black Mass

I'd have to go with Maynard James Keenan, Mikael Akerfeldt, and James Hetfield (mainly cos I'm a die hard Metallica fan). Good lyrics go hand in hand with good music.
08.05.2007 - 13:37
Black Mass

I'd have to go with Maynard James Keenan, Mikael Akerfeldt, and James Hetfield (mainly cos I'm a die hard Metallica fan).
14.05.2007 - 08:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Ok, so again to support my love for Dave Mustaines lyrics, read the lyrics to the new song 'Sleepwalker', there so dark yet clever, probably my favorite song ever...lyrics wise.
http://www.megadeth.com/news/sleepwalkerlyrics.html
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.05.2007 - 15:43
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I have four favorite lyricists...
Akerfeldt - He is truely and incredible writer. With one hell of a vocabulary
Dave Mustaine - Mustaine is amazing at finding that one line in a song that just makes everything else make sence. "Don't ask what you can do for your country, ask what your country can do for you" -Take no Prisoners-
All of dream theater - they are all amazing lyricists and songwriters.
Tuomas Holopainen - He is great at writing songs and lyrics that really touch the hearts and minds of the listener.
18.05.2007 - 13:46
BrightNight

Nevermore has some very serious stuff out there! Very nice. But my Favo would be Iced Earth's Jon Schaffer. Just listen to Dantes Inferno, Travel In Stygian, The Something Wicked Trillogy and of course A Question Of Heaven....its beautifull. Also i would mention (early) Black Sabbath.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
21.05.2007 - 08:41
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I like Tool's lyrics. Yes, I am very unoriginal but their lyrics are still quite thoughtful and I even enjoy the relative cheesiness of the lyrics in "Lateralus". But my example would be lyrics of "Pushit" from "Aenima":

I will choke until I swallow...
Choke this infant here before me
What is this but my reflection?
Who am I to judge and strike you down?

But you're
Pushing and shoving me
You still love me and you pushit on me

Rest your trigger on my finger,
bang my head upon the fault line
Take care not to make me enter
'cause if I do we both may disappear

But you're pushing me,
Shoving me
Pushit on me

Slipping back into the gap again
I'm alive when you're touching me,
Alive when you're shoving me down

But i'd trade it all
For just a little bit of
Piece of mind

Put me somewhere I don't wanna be
Seeing someplace I don't wanna see
Never wanna see that place again

Saw that gap again today
As you were begging me to stay
Managed to push myself away,
And you, as well

If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,
You minimize my movement anyway,
I must persuade you another way

There's no love in fear

Staring down the hole again
Hands upon my back again
Survival is my only friend
Terrified of what may come

Just remember I will always love you,
Even as I tear your fucking throat away
But it will end no other way.

I brought out this song because one of the interpretations could be that this song is about premature ejaculation. Who else would sing about this subject than Tool? The song "Stinkfist", for example, is about anal fisting, also an interesting subject
I find the fact that Tool's lyrics have been very variously interpreted very amusing but it shows that the lyrics are many-layered. Or it means that there are too many fanboys around.

Other band that I can think of and which has also very good lyrics is Acid Bath, now disbanded band. Their frontman Dax Riggs wrote extremely morbid, yet fantastic lyrics. An example would be "Paegan Love Song":

Dying felt so goddamn good today
if i was ever alive, well it's hard to say
it was kissin my eyelids and burning my face away
Dying felt so goddamn good today
we dance the electric paegan love song
we hunt with the children paling in the catacombs
eating dead flowers bleeding in a strange daze
i was cutting throats and eating tears smiling in a ruined age
douse my love everything with gasoline
grave flower blooms in your red light death scene
we dance the electric paegan love song
we hunt with the children paling in the catacombs
trippin' on real blood in strange sunshine
have you felt such weight upon your eyes
sister i've been trippin inyour sky
i woke up adrift in a technicolor bliss
ten million miles high
i'm a chiristian zombie by daylight
satan, he comes trippin' round midnight
circle jerkin' redneck truckers dream
you scream, i scream, everybody screams for morphine
i won't love you, mama, i just fiend your morphine........ your morphine
i am the mother, the father, the killer
forever and ever alright
i am the shapeless, the deathless, remorseless
forever and ever tonight
i'm feelin' hollow again
i am the mother, the father, the killer of light
i'm gonna cut you mother fucker, God's cocksucker, alright.

I love it.
21.05.2007 - 09:35
Keoren
Account deleted
21.05.2007 - 17:46
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Rhapsody's Emerald Sword Saga...i'm not sure who exactly write these lyrics, but i love them
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.05.2007 - 21:52
Hamird
Lieutenant
i enjoy epic poems ... so in metal i enjoy AMON AMARTH more than others ... the real epic
DIE FOR HONOR, GLORY, DEATH IN FIRE ...
22.05.2007 - 00:25
darksun

I like all maiden songs.They all have been created for metal music especially i like the works by Adrian Smith.Dark Tranquallity is also very successful about lyrics
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
23.05.2007 - 11:04
ToCSiN
Account deleted
I would say MoonSpell because when i listen to their lyrics it feels like am reading a poetry ... Fernando is just awesome.
06.06.2007 - 22:53
graywolf87
Account deleted
Everything from the mind of Chuck Schuldiner (Death) stays on reality...and I would say Immolation lyrics as well.
09.06.2007 - 01:02
orathac
Account deleted
only CHuck Schuldiner can be on this post his Lyrics after "scream bloody goe" are reality pain misery for the world shame blame everything . read lyrics as empty words, the philosopher, spirit crusher, and generally all.
and second band is Metallica songs like master of puppets and fade to black meka me ccry about all that ppl who suffers from all this harvester of sorrow justice for all sanitarium alla from RTL to Black Album was great lyrics and as i always say load and reload and st. anger has no point...
and all metal bands has great lyrics better than other music styles and mostly old bands like Deep Purple Child In Time about the Cold War pink floyd etc.
22.01.2008 - 23:24
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Ellrohir on 21.05.2007 at 17:46

Rhapsody's Emerald Sword Saga...i'm not sure who exactly write these lyrics, but i love them

Luca Turilli writes teh lyrics and the story.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
22.01.2008 - 23:26
Warman
Erotic Stains
Recently fallen in love with Katatonia's lyrics. Very mellow, dark and sad. I can relate to some stuff they've written.
----
23.01.2008 - 04:24
Ascalon

I like Vintersorg's lyrics (english lyrics), and also Angra lyrics, specially The Temple of Shadows songs ... after that I like one or two lyrics of so much bands but that ones like them nearly all.
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
26.01.2008 - 18:01
FOOCK Nam

Written by darksun on 22.05.2007 at 00:25

Dark Tranquallity is also very successful about lyrics

Agree, Therein is so awesome
27.01.2008 - 02:27
selken
Irreligious
Txus, from Mägo De Oz is among the best songwriters out there, his lyrics are in spanish, and are so varied, from humour, love, hate, and my favorites, those about messages and important things in life like believing in yourself, or caring your fellows, these lyrics are great.

Yoshiki Hayashi from X Japan from the aggresion about death and suicide to the sweet melodies about one's love and sadness, very deep lyrics.

Jon Nodveit from Dissection his lyrics fits perfectly with the music, making them form me "Anthems of Darkness"
----