Metal Storm logo
Have you ever literally wept upon the first listening of a song?

19.06.2012 - 00:27
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
I know it's sooo not metal to be sensitive. It's sooo not cool to have a heart. Blablabla, yadda yadda. Let's all just pretend we aren't actually demons from the abyss for a moment and admit to this question if it applies to us. What song was it? Under what circumstance was it?
19.06.2012 - 00:31
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
I bought Anathema's "Eternity" when I was about 16 or 17. I popped it in the player...and by the time "Angelica" was half-way through, I was weeping like a chick watching Lifetime on her period. (That is one brilliant album, I might add.)
19.06.2012 - 00:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Have I ever literally wept when listening to music...?

No, I honestly can't say that I have. Movies, music, etc. don't really make me cry ever. Come to think of it, there really isn't anything I can think of that makes me cry. Even things that I really care about. :/

This thread is an annoying reminder that I'm becoming detached from humanity. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.06.2012 - 00:42
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 00:35

No, I honestly can't say that I have. Movies, music, etc. don't really make me cry ever. Come to think of it, there really isn't anything I can think of that makes me cry. Even things that I really care about. :/

This thread is an annoying reminder that I'm becoming detached from humanity. :/

Well...I didn't mean to contribute to a negative epiphany for ya, buddy. I just thought it would be a good thread to give some people an opportunity to come out of their shell a bit...put themselves on the chopping block, so to speak. But you aren't that unusual. Lot's of people feel that way. I'm just an emotional wreck anyway, lol. Back when I was 17 I listened to a lot of black metal, so (since BM makes me pretty numb), I found the Anathema thing a bit of a surprise.
19.06.2012 - 00:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
If I ever wanted to cry or felt the need to but couldn't push myself over the edge, something atmospheric and emotional like Anathema would definitely do the trick.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.06.2012 - 00:53
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 00:45

If I ever wanted to cry or felt the need to but couldn't push myself over the edge, something atmospheric and emotional like Anathema would definitely do the trick.

Yep. "Tonight's Music" from Katatonia's LFDGD album has done this to me too. Also, more recently, Epica's "Tides of Time" aaaaalllllmost got me to that point. But- in my defense- most of the time it's a medication mood swing or during a rough time in my life that causes this wussed-out reaction. lol
19.06.2012 - 01:20
IronAngel
No, never on first listen. I don't literally weep to music, but every now and them my eyes get wet and I get goosebumps. It's more like stopping in awe, not so much living emotionally with the contents of the song. The song doesn't have to be sad or yadda yadda. Happens most often live, when someone really magnificent is performing. Like when Tori Amos played Baker Baker last Fall, when I saw her for the first time. Or when Ultra Bra, Finnish legends, played a public concert for the first time in 10 years. Sometimes it also happens listening to some of my favorite songs at home. But nope, never the first time I hear a song.
19.06.2012 - 01:20
Snake? Snaaaake!
Account deleted
Films make me cry, but I've never cried because of music. Music, no matter what I listen to just doenst bring out those sort of emotions in me, maybe it's because i need more of a visual stimulus? There are a lot of times when people will claim that this or that album creates an atmosphere, but when i listen it, i dont have the same sort of imagery in my head, if any at all. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Queen's "dont stop me now" gives me quite the buzz.
19.06.2012 - 02:30
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Around the time I got into metal, I pretty much generally stopped crying for a couple of years. I figure I got numb and suppressed everything.

Flash forward a couple of years, me and my best girl friend are sitting on some dull class and playing Apocalyptica's s/t on headphones, and when this came on, we had to change it because we welled up completely. I've told this story before, I think.

Flash a couple more years forward - I came back from my dad's funeral and played an album by a basically mediocre Serbian band, which had the theme of saying goodbye. And I realized I'll never see my dad again and yeah, that did me in.

About non-first listen - can't tell. There was a lot of occasions when I did that, but almost never because of the music itself, but because of the state I'm in at the time of listening. It's that state when you're not depressed enough to be completely numb, but the one when you're just starting to feel completely fucked up and there are hints of rage and sadness in that state too. It lends itself well to crying. So yeah, whenever you see me having Space Dye Vest / The Burden Is Mine Alone marathons on last.fm, send me a message or something. The song doesn't have to be sad though, just beautiful enough to give me a "what am I doing with my life"-vibe.

One song that had me shed more than just a couple of tears was this performance of The Spirit Carries On. Yeah, cliche, I know. I was just caught up thinking about my dad, and about the stress I went through when my mom was sick, and then about all those times I failed in life and reasons I hated myself, and at the point the song felt pretty uplifting, I felt quite the opposite and thought I'd never get relief. I don't think I ever cried like the way I did when I watched that on DVD. Then I thought "I'm a silly privileged fuck and I don't deserve to cry" and then I cried even harder, pretty much, it seems so funny now
----
7.0 means the album is good
19.06.2012 - 02:52
Oaken
Hipster
I never cried to a song, neither upon first listen or after. But some stuff sends shivers down my spine. Albums that do that usually get 10 from me.
And yes, I really feel detached from human emotions (At least the positive ones).
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
19.06.2012 - 04:53
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 00:35

You've become Comfortably Numb!

^I shed a single tear listening to that song for the first time. During the solo, so beautiful and tragic. Ahh.

I haven't cried for years, though. Last time I did it was to Skywards by Elvenking. And I take full responsibility for my wussiness. That's what makes it okay. It's okay to cry but a man needs to take ownership of it and not be ashamed. And not do it in public, damnit.
19.06.2012 - 04:54
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 19.06.2012 at 02:30

Around the time I got into metal, I pretty much generally stopped crying for a couple of years. I figure I got numb and suppressed everything.

Flash forward a couple of years, me and my best girl friend are sitting on some dull class and playing Apocalyptica's s/t on headphones, and when this came on, we had to change it because we welled up completely. I've told this story before, I think.

Flash a couple more years forward - I came back from my dad's funeral and played an album by a basically mediocre Serbian band, which had the theme of saying goodbye. And I realized I'll never see my dad again and yeah, that did me in.

About non-first listen - can't tell. There was a lot of occasions when I did that, but almost never because of the music itself, but because of the state I'm in at the time of listening. It's that state when you're not depressed enough to be completely numb, but the one when you're just starting to feel completely fucked up and there are hints of rage and sadness in that state too. It lends itself well to crying. So yeah, whenever you see me having Space Dye Vest / The Burden Is Mine Alone marathons on last.fm, send me a message or something. The song doesn't have to be sad though, just beautiful enough to give me a "what am I doing with my life"-vibe.

One song that had me shed more than just a couple of tears was this performance of The Spirit Carries On. Yeah, cliche, I know. I was just caught up thinking about my dad, and about the stress I went through when my mom was sick, and then about all those times I failed in life and reasons I hated myself, and at the point the song felt pretty uplifting, I felt quite the opposite and thought I'd never get relief. I don't think I ever cried like the way I did when I watched that on DVD. Then I thought "I'm a silly privileged fuck and I don't deserve to cry" and then I cried even harder, pretty much, it seems so funny now

Aww. That album sure fucks with your emotions It's certainly a good song to have mess with you.
19.06.2012 - 04:58
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Lol. I think a lot of you "I don't cry" people aren't reading the topic description/first post. "...and admit to this question if it applies to us."
That means those who have, what it was, and why (if you know). Not that it's a mandatory rule to post here...but I'm one of 3 people that actually had a story that applies. Can we get some that are relevant please? (No offense, Troy- at least what you said was interesting and humble.)
19.06.2012 - 05:02
Guib
Thrash Talker
I totally cried first time I heard The Salaminizer by Gwar -_- and im being totally interesting but nowhere near humble

In truth I believe it might have happened to me in the past, but I can't remember what song or anything... but usually im moved by music, in many different ways
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.06.2012 - 05:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 19.06.2012 at 04:58
Lol. I think a lot of you "I don't cry" people aren't reading the topic description/first post. "...and admit to this question if it applies to us."

The title of the thread is open-ended - you're asking a yes or no question. Those of us like me who are going to answer no will say so and provide a reason most likely, or just call everyone who says yes a pussy.

In all seriousness, there's a lot of good material out there to cry to, if that's your thing and music does it for you. I listen to certain albums/songs to either further a depressive mood so I can move on from it quicker or to pick myself up by comparing myself to someone else who "has it worse".
----
19.06.2012 - 05:14
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Guib on 19.06.2012 at 05:02

I totally cried first time I heard The Salaminizer by Gwar -_- and im being totally interesting but nowhere near humble

In truth I believe it might have happened to me in the past, but I can't remember what song or anything... but usually im moved by music, in many different ways

Haha! That's great. (At least you are entertaining...no sarcasm.) These posts that say "nah, never happens to me" are about as relevant as a virgin posting on a "how to give a blowjob" topic. I really just wanted to see who, if any, would be man (or woman) enough to admit something of the sort and give a story. Besides- I wanted a suggestion or two for some pretty good tearjerkers.
19.06.2012 - 05:17
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 19.06.2012 at 05:14

Written by Guib on 19.06.2012 at 05:02

Haha! That's great. (At least you are entertaining...no sarcasm.) These posts that say "nah, never happens to me" are about as relevant as a virgin posting on a "how to give a blowjob" topic. I really just wanted to see who, if any, would be man (or woman) enough to admit something of the sort and give a story. Besides- I wanted a suggestion or two for some pretty good tearjerkers.

For a sec I thought that notification was gonna be a diss of some sort, but Im glad to see you have a sense of humor haha but yeah most metalhead in here will say no, some because its true, some because crying is so gay in our wonderful modern society ya know... Crying is as normal as taking a shit, if your eyes can produce tears its probably for many different reasons. But some are just too pussy to admit they ever did cry, its absurd (not only to music I mean)
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.06.2012 - 05:20
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Well...Troy had a point- it is open ended, yes or no. But just a plain "no" without elaboration doesn't do much to make the dicussion interesting. And really, I do have a sense of humor, and honestly hate it when people get on forums just to find something to be offended about. (...and I'm a HUGE GWAR fan.)
19.06.2012 - 05:22
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 19.06.2012 at 05:20

Well...Troy had a point- it is open ended, yes or no. But just a plain "no" without elaboration doesn't do much to make the dicussion interesting. And really, I do have a sense of humor, and honestly hate it when people get on forums just to find something to be offended about. (...and I'm a HUGE GWAR fan.)

Haha nice then, I just saw them at the Rockfest 2 days ago it was crazy, I was covered in fake blood, green stuff and beer -_- yep
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.06.2012 - 05:37
FOOCK Nam
I ve never wept upon the FIRST time of a song. Though I cried when listening songs metal or not, not a little amount of times. Though also due to mixed with my depression and dark sad past reminiscent moments while listening by headphone.

Those songs was
Hortus Animae - The Gothic Ghost Death of All Beauty
Empyrium - Lover's Grief, Ode to Melancholy, Assemble of Silence

Some ColdWorld and Shamrain -Sound of Snow, No One Remember Your Name, Raindrops

and this one

Metal is full of emotion, will comeback more when remembering out
19.06.2012 - 06:01
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Never wept, but I cried for other "positive" reasons with a couple of songs.
19.06.2012 - 08:16
oblong
Account deleted
I cannot say that I have wept, although music can be very effective in film - resulting in a couple of tears, but nothing major. E.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG-Js_rMEV4

But as previously mentioned, I've also experienced the Goosebump effect many times, where I've become short of breath or feel like my heart is going to explode out of my chest, however this was mainly from listening to a drumming group (U-Theater), the noise is loud and intense - hits you hard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2JFwriYV1g
19.06.2012 - 09:24
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Many times different music made me cry, but very rarely it Happens with metal songs, and mostly it happens when I listen to persian folk music or Se-Tar solo performace
19.06.2012 - 10:19
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.06.2012 at 04:54

Aww. That album sure fucks with your emotions It's certainly a good song to have mess with you.

You have no fuckin' idea how much it's not the only album that has the ability, though. If you ever manage to listen to this all the way through without a single lump in your throat...
----
19.06.2012 - 12:51
PocketMetal
First time I listened to Lateralus I shed some tears at this part :

"I embrace my desire to
I embrace my desire to
Feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow
To feel inspired , to fathom the power, to witness the beauty,
To bathe in the fountain,
To swing on the spiral
To swing on the spiral
To swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human."

I don't know if it was joy , sadness or even excitement ... it was something I never felt before . it changed me ... I was not a miserable whining moron anymore . I began to look at everything differently . those moments are the most magical music-listening experience for me and I doubt I ever forget how I felt .
19.06.2012 - 16:17
Fredd
Account deleted
Weeping, no. But the first few minutes of "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" never fail to bring a tear to my eyes. Amassefer's Slaves for Life has a couple of songs that made me tear, also. Amon Amarth's Embrace of the Endless Ocean makes me want to cry near its end, but I hold my tears, because it's Amon-fucking-Amarth.

There are also other songs that I dont remember right now.

And as for movies, I don't count. Especially if I'm watching alone.
19.06.2012 - 17:36
IronAngel
I'm not sure who the "I don't cry" people who make short, irrelevant posts are. Above your first complaint, Snake made a comparison to films and Oaken explained the extent of his physiological reaction to be shivers.

It has nothing to do with being "man enough." Ideally, it should have nothing to do with the sex-gender system. It's true that in some historical periods and cultures, crying hasn't been part of the masculine ideal, but turning it on its head and insisting that crying is indeed manly is just commiting to the idea through negation. Furthermore: historically, the trope of crying in public was very integral to the aristocratic chivalry of the High Middle Ages, for example. There are many descriptipns of masculine Norman knights crying out loud the loss of their liege or kin. So it's not like your juxtaposition is even a successful parody of archaic masculine ideals, because it actually subscribes to the masculine ideals of certain patriarchal times.

The above is way over the topic's subject matter, of course. But since you brought it up, I thought I'd point out this interesting detail. We don't rid ourselves of restrictive gender norms by adopting new, reverse ideals, but by seperating the two issues entirely. My real point was thsi, though: if you only want to hear opinions from people who agree with you, an internet message board probably isn't the best place to post.
19.06.2012 - 18:11
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Hmm I've never actually cried for any music, but like Snake said, I have teared up with movies.
I can say that I sometimes get the emotion that the band is trying to portray, it being fear, anger or just sadness. Still never brought me to tears though
On the other hand, I have been overwhelmed with joy on listening to a band and wondering how it is possible to create such awesome music.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
19.06.2012 - 18:47
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Hmm... I wouldn't say songs have made me actually cry, but some of the best songs make me all shivery - if you get the idea.

Songs like; Empyrium -- The Blue Mists of Night, ColdWorld -- Tortured by Solitude and some ones by Anti are really good for that.
19.06.2012 - 20:07
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 19.06.2012 at 17:36

We don't rid ourselves of restrictive gender norms by adopting new, reverse ideals, but by seperating the two issues entirely.

Fuck yeah.
----