Metal Storm logo
Have you ever literally wept upon the first listening of a song?

Original post

Posted by Tristus Scriptor, 19.06.2012 - 00:27
I know it's sooo not metal to be sensitive. It's sooo not cool to have a heart. Blablabla, yadda yadda. Let's all just pretend we aren't actually demons from the abyss for a moment and admit to this question if it applies to us. What song was it? Under what circumstance was it?
22.06.2012 - 22:57
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Bonna on 22.06.2012 at 16:43

Written by Tristus Scriptor on 19.06.2012 at 00:31

I bought Anathema's "Eternity" when I was about 16 or 17. I popped it in the player...and by the time "Angelica" was half-way through, I was weeping like a chick watching Lifetime on her period. (That is one brilliant album, I might add.)

Funny you mention this, first band that came to my mind when reading this topics' title was Anathema as well. Haven't heard anyone who can express that kind of emotions as well as Cavanagh does. It's like Slayer and aggression.

I always grow soft inside when I hear One Last Goodbye from the Judgement album. Also check out the accoustic version of that song on the "In Parallel" album. In Parallel (2009) is a not so well know accoustic album he did with Anneke Van Giersbergen (ex-The Gathering chick), for all of you haven't heard about it. Might be a bootleg not sure.

I knew ther was bound to be another person that shared my sentiments about them. And I will DEFINITELY look into that, as Anneke is one of my favorite musicians (and childhood crushes) of all time.
23.06.2012 - 20:37
Da?bog

I cried when i first listened to Slayers - Angel of death.....cuz song reminded me on some horrible experiments that my friends dad did on my friend and made me watch.....bwuahahahahha:)
----
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it or who has said it, unless it agrees whit your own reason and your own common sense...
25.06.2012 - 11:54
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I have never wept, but this song gives me shivers every time I listen to it (you might weep though; this is one of the most, if not the most, emotional song I have ever heard).

----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
25.06.2012 - 18:29
FOOCK Nam

Written by K✞ulu on 25.06.2012 at 11:54

I have never wept, but this song gives me shivers every time I listen to it (you might weep though; this is one of the most, if not the most, emotional song I have ever heard).

Nice song but somewhat negative lyrics for me, though the music offset its all.
26.06.2012 - 13:12
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by FOOCK Nam on 25.06.2012 at 18:29

Nice song but somewhat negative lyrics for me, though the music offset its all.

But the lyrics are the main point here although music is great too. The words convey such a strong feeling of misery and desperation; such an outcry! And then those last words about the grave, prayer, and flowers... so much... irony about people not really caring when someone passes away. Or maybe that is a cry that no one cares about him particularly and all those ceremonies are bullcrap.

Anyways, what a song and what an album!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
26.06.2012 - 20:33
FOOCK Nam

I can definitely feel the desperation emotion of the song : ) , very deep both vocal and music that are matched. I am just little surprised when read the lyric, thought it is pro-death and also hold-head-high. But it is totally very emotional songs fitted my favorite type
27.06.2012 - 11:56
Infernal Eternal

Written by Da?bog on 23.06.2012 at 20:37

I cried when i first listened to Slayers - Angel of death.....cuz song reminded me on some horrible experiments that my friends dad did on my friend and made me watch.....bwuahahahahha:)

Mengele is your friend's father? Cool...
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
27.06.2012 - 18:08
Waniyetu

More than I'd like to admit, haha. Certain moments on the latest offerings from Nightwish, Moonsorrow, Insomnium and Sonata Arctica definitely had this kind of effect on me, admittedly. Music is an incredibly emotional experience for me, moreso than a critical one, so when the feelings of a particular song or album align with what I am feeling or experiencing internally it is a powerful experience.
29.06.2012 - 01:37
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Waniyetu on 27.06.2012 at 18:08

More than I'd like to admit, haha. Certain moments on the latest offerings from Nightwish, Moonsorrow, Insomnium and Sonata Arctica definitely had this kind of effect on me, admittedly. Music is an incredibly emotional experience for me, moreso than a critical one, so when the feelings of a particular song or album align with what I am feeling or experiencing internally it is a powerful experience.

You know that you're metal when you cry to Moonsorrow

But can you do it to Finntroll? that is the question...
29.06.2012 - 07:44
bran

The only time i have cried during music is the day dio passed away listening to certains songs did make me cry. i have gotten shivers up my spine on certain songs like sadness and hate by wintersun
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
29.06.2012 - 10:13
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I can't say I've ever cried to music, except on those bloody 'talent' shows when they make everything so overly emotional (homeless kids / ugly people / people with disabilities / etc) that you can't help it.

Warning - Watching from a Distance grabs my emotions though. For some reason Ulver - I Troldskog faren vild does too.
29.06.2012 - 15:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Dark Cornatus on 29.06.2012 at 10:13
I can't say I've ever cried to music, except on those bloody 'talent' shows when they make everything so overly emotional (homeless kids / ugly people / people with disabilities / etc) that you can't help it.

Most of those stories are made up ever since the Susan Boyle success... so it's hard for me to feel in any way attached to those "rags to riches" hopefuls.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.07.2012 - 02:42
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.06.2012 at 15:28

Written by Dark Cornatus on 29.06.2012 at 10:13

Most of those stories are made up ever since the Susan Boyle success... so it's hard for me to feel in any way attached to those "rags to riches" hopefuls.

Haha yeah i know how and why they do it. It still somehow hits me though, even though i know it's just a con job. The one about the Korean homeless kid is so damn obvious. I'm not saying he wasn't ever homeless, but they probably told him to make it emotional and make it sound like this has been your whole life. Opera singer and homeless? Sure...
02.07.2012 - 07:17
Waniyetu

Written by Guest on 29.06.2012 at 01:37

Written by Waniyetu on 27.06.2012 at 18:08

You know that you're metal when you cry to Moonsorrow

But can you do it to Finntroll? that is the question...

Only tears of joy from Finntroll, haha; but yeah, Moonsorrow has one of the most intense and vast spiritual depths of any metal band I've heard, so anything from their later catalog, if it hits me in the right mood, may conjure up a tear or two.
27.10.2012 - 01:44
armageddon

I cried while listening to Anathema - Lost Control, the part that everything stops and the vocals are:

"Yes, I am falling
How much longer till I hit the ground?"

I'll never forget the feeling I had at that moment.
----
"Whenever you're pissed off, just remember that it's better than being pissed on"
27.10.2012 - 02:27
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Ive welled up to Pink Floyd in my time, and likely a few other things too
----
27.10.2012 - 11:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
I actually cry all the time. Okay, not really, but probably a lot more than the average man. I started doing it like 2-3 years ago, thanks to someone who managed to bring forth my super sensitive side...
Although when I cry, it's not really a flood of tears. Just some of them and a happy or sad smile on my face. I mostly weep in front of the tv, a movie, maybe even a commercial. So yes, I've... almost wept upon the first listening to a song. Eyes got wet, but not enough to make the tears come rollin' down. It's mostly when I get nostalgic and shit like that. Like last time, was like a week ago, when I heard Wintersun's "Sons of Winter and Stars". Wet eyes, mainly because I started thinking about the first time me and my best friend heard the band. We were like 14-15, so many memories.
During concerts I have literally wept. Once when I saw Metallica perform my all time favourite song, "Master of Puppets", and twice when I saw Dream Theater in concert for the first time.
----
27.10.2012 - 18:10
MetalSpider

You won't see tears running down my metal face!!!!!!! ..........but that's only because my body is lacking in fluids.

Moonsorrow, especially the album Verisakeet, has tugged at my emotional heart strings. There's others I'm sure, but nothing I can think of specifically.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
27.10.2012 - 18:16
MetalSpider

Written by K✞ulu on 25.06.2012 at 11:54

Never been a real fan of Flotsam and Jetsam but this is a great song!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
30.10.2012 - 15:04
ToMegaTherion

Upon first listen... No
But right after my dad died, i put of Mother Earth and song number 3 made me loose it. Within Temptation - Our Farewell
05.11.2012 - 13:24
Hoff

Occasionally I discover a new song that brings tears to my eye on the first listen, and again on the fifth listen, when I realize that it wasn't as great as I thought it was.
----
Mildly Clever
14.11.2012 - 13:09
keika_d

I'm pretty sure Porcupine Tree - Heartattack in a Layby did that to me the first time.
Maybe some of Saez (a french rock artist) songs as well (I remember my first listen of the 'God Blesse' album annihilated me).

It also happened to me upon hearing songs in live for the first time, but I already knew them before so that's beside the point.
----
Let us not be afraid of 10.
23.11.2012 - 16:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
This just happened for me with the studio version of Beth by Kiss. I can't believe these guys used to be this good and managed to write such a soft and mellow song that's also very emotional at the same time. Peter Criss must also have the best voice of any musician that was ever in that band.
23.11.2012 - 16:36
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Valentin B on 23.11.2012 at 16:13

This just happened for me with the studio version of Beth by Kiss. I can't believe these guys used to be this good and managed to write such a soft and mellow song that's also very emotional at the same time. Peter Criss must also have the best voice of any musician that was ever in that band.

Was it the first time you ever heard Beth? Or just the studio version?
Anyway, wasn't the band forced by the manager or someone to include it on the album? Kiss didn't want a ballad, but the management wanted more fans, attention from the radio stations or whatever.
----
23.11.2012 - 16:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Warman on 23.11.2012 at 16:36

Anyway, wasn't the band forced by the manager or someone to include it on the album? Kiss didn't want a ballad, but the management wanted more fans, attention from the radio stations or whatever.

here is the info on Beth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beth_(song)

this is more or less how I remember it.
But I also remmeber Paul and Gene not wanting it as single (b-side) because it was a Peter Criss song and not one by them and they knew it would be quite a big hit.
Apparently it is Kiss' biggest hit todat
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.11.2012 - 23:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Warman on 23.11.2012 at 16:36

It was the first time I heard the studio version.. I was hungover and my brain was tired too
25.11.2012 - 17:54
Xunger08

The only time I remember crying to a song was to Rocket Queen by Guns N' Roses...a bit weird and it's not even really metal...
Strangely I've never found any openly sentimental song particularly touching. But the last bit of Rocket Queen completely took me unawares, especially with my mind still on the famous middle part!
23.03.2013 - 07:27
camilord

Dream Theater - Space dye Vest
25.03.2013 - 10:56
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Don't think I've ever cried to a song... Especially on the first listen. i usually don't like any song that much on first listen, need some repeats to get into.
but some beautiful songs that make me sentimental:
Theatre Of Tragedy - ...A Distance There Is...
Within Temptation - The Swan Song
26.03.2013 - 12:49
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I don't think I've ever cried on a first listen. I've been captivated, sure, but never cried. After I listen to the song a few times and really begin to understand it, then it's possible that I might cry depending on how deeply the music has come to affect me.
----