10. Anthrax - Madhouse
11. Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes To Midnight
12. Slayer - Raining Blood
13. Tesla - Cumin' Atcha Live
14. David Lee Roth - Yankee Rose
15. DJ Lazlow - Outro
16. Exploder [commercial]
17. Thor [commercial]

Or the full title DJ Lazlow presents Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Vol. 1 - VRock. An easy concept is behind this compilation of 80's rock and metal hits, the game GTA Vice City is set in the 80's (best think of Miami) and has several 80's radio stations included. Rock Star Games decided to put out albums of each radio station, VRock is volume one in a set of cd's that each proveide different styles of music. VRock, which is the self-proclaimed Vice City's home of Rock 'N' Roll for 75 years, is now worth a review.

Concluding that a radio station has a dj (Lazlow aka DJ Hardrocker, if you didn't play the game) he also appears on the album, only his role has been cut to introduce and kind of moderate the halftime and outro. The playlist aswell has changed, some songs have been left out, such as 'Quiet Riot - Come On Feel The Noise' and 'The Cult - Sanctuary' aren't featured any more. Adding to that the songs have been switched to other positions in the playlist. What remains original is the songs themselves and there is quite a lot to tell about them. First of all it is a mix ranging from simple rock and glam ('Autograph- Turn Up The Radio') tunes and hymns such as 'I Wanna Rock' to 80's typical sounding metal (Ozzy- Bark At The Moon) to thrash metal like Megadeth and Slayer.
All the songs you hear on this cd are totally suitable for radio playing or to put into the cd player of your car, ok maybe not Slayer, listening to Raining Blood you may want to crash loads of cars like in the game? jokingly. Anyway what you get is a nice and mostly melodic collection that can count aswell as a definition of a sound of a decade, the eighties to be exact. The funny addition to that is the band Lovefist (which was invented by Rockstar Games), which really sounds like an 80's Glamrock/metal band. A short example of a quote: 'Is it true you like my curl? Do you think we look like girls??' Truly mocking the spirit of the hair band, the band also appears in the game and makes the same funny appeal. 'David Lee Roth's Yankee Rose' is another example of those good times fun tracks as well as 'Autograph's Turn Up The Radio'. Still my favourites on this one come a bit more the hard way: 'Anthrax - Madhouse' and 'Tesla - Cumin Atcha Live' are the best ones in my humble opinion, bang your curl, baby?
If you're not into 'weak' non-metal music you might leave your fingers off this one, since there are only few real metal songs on the record. All other people grab your copy of this album as soon as possible, If you're a fan of 80's music it's the perfect combination, lots of very catchy tunes are waiting for you, yeah you!
As mentioned a few tracks are missing, although the hole program fits on a 74 minute cd, I don't know why they didn't make it on the album, but the tracks are:
'Loverboy - Working For The Weekend', 'Quiet Riot - Come On Feel The Noise', 'The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary' and 'Lovefist - Fist Fury'. Anyway a nice collection of songs to play in your Corvette roadster as you ride into the sunset. 9 out of 10 points and drive home safely.

Written by Pierre Tombale | 20.05.2004

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 290 users
20.06.2012 - 00:05
Unna Med

Great review!
Oh, maybe not Great, but it is certanly good.
Speaking of this soundtrack, I think it was the very first heavy-metal album I have heard in my friggin' life. Back then, when the GTA Vice City hit the spot I was a small little ugly thing. Maybe that is the main reason for me enjoying it.
----
Hello?
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?
16.02.2013 - 08:53
Egigantea

I remember never really paying any attention to the radio when I playing this game as a kid, but damn is that a good playlist Rockstar manage to make for a video game.
16.07.2014 - 03:56
Rating: 9
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah I actually spent hours driving cars just for the radios. Many of them actually, not just VROCK.
03.09.2014 - 05:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Pfft. I spent my time cutting people heads off with a Samurai sword and blowing up cars but idk to each his own.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.09.2014 - 03:47
Lit.
Account deleted
I wasn't even aware there were reasons for playing GTA aside from listening to the radio.
05.09.2014 - 05:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 04.09.2014 at 03:47
I wasn't even aware there were reasons for playing GTA aside from listening to the radio.

I like to drive around while maintaining the speed limit and adhering to the rules of the road, and generally obeying the law. I know it's not what the game was intended for but it's honestly what I enjoy most about it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 8264 | This month: 39