Metal Storm logo
Stratovarius - Rolf Pilve Announced As New Drummer

Stratovarius have announced on their website that 24-year-old Rolf Pilve will replace Jörg Michael as their drummer. Pilve will play his first gig with the band in Tavastia, Helsinki, on July 11th. Stratovarius had received more than 100 applications for the position from Finland as well as from abroad.

Vocalist Timo Kotipelto commented: "Although the competition was fierce, Rolf was clearly the best one of the bunch. His precise playing, sureness and right attitude was there right away. He has an astonishing technique and to top that of he has a very musical way of playing, so he can bring something of his own into our old songs as well. Rolf has played a variety of different styles of metal, so fast tempos or more progressive parts will not be a problem. Whatever songs we might compose in the future - I have no doubt that he will be able to play them."

The newly chosen drummer had this to say: "I had prepared for the audition thoroughly, learning all the songs we agreed on, with the live-endings and everything. In addition to that I had also learned some extra songs just to be safe. Playing with the guys was excellent, and already the next day after the audition I got to hear that I had been the best one of the drummers they had auditioned. What followed was yet another audition where we would play more casually and jam."

[Also thanks to bokimaniac for sending in this news!]

Source: stratovarius.com
Band profile: Stratovarius
Posted: 20.06.2012 by ja-vi

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 3   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 62 users
21.06.2012 - 06:07
psykometal
A staff guy...
So it seems he left Miseration because he was just tired of playing death metal...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

24.06.2012 - 21:07
mikeprado30

Written by Irritable Ted on 21.06.2012 at 21:18

Good luck to Jorg for the future.

Hope the new drummer is as good. Jorg was one of the best power metal drummers out there.

He played Death Metal, is not enough? ^_^
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
26.06.2012 - 09:12
-Mayhem-

Well he is only 24 but he has played over 500 shows in 16 different countries already and he has played drums on over 30 albums.
(This all according to his web-page)
I think it is the perfect choise. He has a background in Progressive Metal ( I am a huge fan of Status Minor in which he also plays in) and that is exactly where the new Stratovarius is going. Well Stratovarius has always been close to Progressive and I think a Progressive Power Metal would fit he bands music a bit better than simply Power Metal. But they are known for their more straight-forward songs and often the proggier ones are left out of their setlist too so I guess it's ok.

Hits total: 3764 | This month: 5