Metal Storm logo
Chaoswave interview (11/2006)

With: All the band...
Conducted by: Jeff (in person)
Published: 12.11.2006

Band profile:

Chaoswave

- Ok let's go! First I would like to know how was the show last night in Paris? I wasn't there so I would like to know how it was? Was it your first show in France?

Giorgia: Well, it was great. We didn't have a lot of people but we didn't expect it anyway. Being a small band in a big city well? But I think that we managed to get the people into our music, and that's something really difficult to do especially when you play for people who don't really know you.

Raphael: You know, it's the first time that we were playing here so really we didn't expect anything. We were there to promote our album, and if someone buy the album at the end of the show and tell that he liked the music, it's already great. So for me it was ok, especially because the organizers treated us with a great manner. Thumbs up!

- Jeff: What are the differences between here and Italy? Do you have a lot of fans there, is it starting to be "good" for you?

Guf: In Italy? Hum well the funny thing is that we played a lot more outside of Italy?

Marco: It's easier to organize! (laughs)

Guf: But I think that we have more and more fans now in our hometown and in our area.

Raphael: Well even if they don't like our music, they're respecting our work.

Guf: Remember that we're a young band?

Fabio: Our first concert was also in February last year?

Raphael: We're totally new in the scene even if we played in some other bands. We never had the same approach, the same will. In Italy, you're never really appreciated in your hometown?. I suppose that it is the same in France?

- Jeff: Oh, well it depends, I can tell you that in my hometown, the bands from the city are the only one that find a real success there? They're like kings of the city, and people only listen to these bands, it's closed?.

Raphael: Oh that the opposite then. In Italy, they're a bit like "Oh, you're from the United States, cool!", especially in our hometown. A lot of bands from other places come there, and they're all "great", but really in fact some of our bands, Sardinian bands I mean, are better. And the people just don't care about them? This is the Italian way of thinking?

- Jeff: I see? Hum, so well can you do a little introduction of Chaoswave?

Guf: I think that Chaoswave is about contrasts. From the people in the band to the music and the lyrics. I started this band here even if I'm not from here?

- Jeff: Yeah, you're from Denmark right?

Gus: I'm Danish myself and well, there is a contrast between them (the other members) and me of course. And in the music we have a contrast between the heaviness of the music, drums, bass, guitars and the clean vocals we have with Fabio and Giorgia. With the lyrics, it's a bit the same, I like to investigate in the problems that we have with ourselves. It's a contrast between something physical and emotional. It's all about contrasts?

Mr Guf!

- Jeff: I read on your website that you like Nevermore?

The Band: Yeah!!!

- Jeff: It's one of my favourite bands, so we will be friends! (laughs)

Raphael: "Dead Heart In A Dead World" is my favourite album? But I didn't listen to the two other ones a lot after this album.

- Jeff: I like it a lot too.

Raphael: But we all have a totally different musical tastes in the band.

Giorgia: But! We all agree on Nevermore!!!

Guff: And Strapping Young Lad!

The Band (at the same moment): This is the only band that we all like!

- Jeff: So musically speaking, do you compare a bit Nevermore with Chaoswave?

Gus: Of course, Nevermore and Strapping Young Lad have their influences on the music of Chaoswave, especially at the beginning of the band but now we all try to do our stuff. We like the bands a lot but we want to do our own music now.

- Jeff: So what are your influences?

Fabio: I listen to everything. I don't like Pop but I respect it? I like everything, Metal, Hard Rock, 70's music even some electronic stuff, and even Punk bands, like Bilnk 182? It's not so bad actually!!! I like happy music!

Raphael: I'm more into extreme Metal? I like even Katatonia or Anathema but it's extreme music that inspired me. When Guf told me to play progressive stuff, I tried to do my best with my own influences? I'm a huge fan of Morbid Angel, Nile, Dying Fetus? Aggressive stuff! (laughs) But I can listen to everything in Metal but I have my preferences. I'm not like Fabio who listen to, I think, pure shit! (laughs)

Everybody started to laugh a lot. Apparently Fabio is famous for his bad musical tastes
Guf: Can I correct you?

Raphael: Yeah?

Guf: It's not like "you think" that it is totally shit? It's totally shit!

Everybody: (Laughs!!!)

Raphael: No you know it's a good thing that we all have different musical tastes We can all give something different to our music. It's not a simple female singer plus musicians band?

Marco: I'm into Progressive music. I had a classic education, but I listen to Punk also? and of course progressive music from Yes to IQ etc. Oh I shift a lot, I can listen to Maiden one day, Sex Pistol and later, Chopin?

Guf: I listen to Metal! From Death to Prog or Doom. I like bands with great compositions? I'm into Metal yes!

Giorgia: I don't limit myself to Metal? But I really prefer melodic Metal in general.

The White Noise Within, first album of the band.

- Jeff: Now I understand why your tastes are so different! Especially because of Fabio (laughs). What are the feedbacks about your first album? They're good I think?

Raphael: We had a lot of good comments yes. Especially in France.

- Jeff: Well in France, a lot of people like Nevermore? It was good for you.

Guf: We got a lot of very good reviews. It's always good in general? we didn't expect it but well thank you!

Marco: For some reasons, it seems that our music is good because we have "heavy" stuff and melodic stuff. So the people who like one of those sides of Metal can like our music. It was a risk to do something like that? But it seems that it work.

- Jeff: I think that it is good for a band to something a bit different. They're all doing Gothenburg Death now or Power Metal so if you come with something a bit different, you'll have success in my opinion.

Raphael: Yeah, you have to give something with a different approach.

- Jeff: Do you have a message in your lyrics?

Guf: Giorgia wrote some lyrics too, but I write the lyrics for myself because in general it's talking about some personal problems. I like to investigate in the people mentality. One of the song of the album talks about the fact that you feel that you live in a good world but that you feel that it is insecure there. This is a real contradiction. I like to write stuff about it?

- Jeff: And about the music, how do you work?

Raphael: Guf wrote 90% of the music. But he is brave because he trusted in us to record this album. Now it's a bit different, he is of course the main man of the band, but we all try to help a bit more?.

Big break? Florian of Underclass is coming in the room with some beers

Everybody: laughs!!!

Florian: Fuck you! I fuck you all!!!

Giorgia: Fuck yourself!

Fabio: I can help you!

Florian: No way! (laughs), hurry guys some other journalists are waiting for you?

Giorgia

- Jeff: I would like to talk about your label, DVS. I really believe that they're among the best to find young great band, like Into Eternity etc. How did you sign with them?

Giorgia: Well, when we released our first demo, we did a lot of promotion? Writing, spamming, etc. (laughs) and we wrote to Rene. And then we were all really surprised to have a positive answer from him. We had too many "I don't know" or negative answers before? In general they just don't have the time. By luck, Rene tried to listen to our stuff. We're really happy with them, it's a label with a strong reputation and they're also the organizer of Prog Power Europe?

- Jeff: Will you play there? Maybe that you'll also play at the Prog Power USA? Though I don't really know how they both work.

Giorgia: Yeah we will play at the Prog Power Europe this year.

Guf: I can tell, you. They have some kind of collaboration but not real connections. Prog Power Europe was the first one, and they probably sold the name to the US one? It's more a matter of name and business trademark. So I don't know if we will play one day in the USA?

- Jeff: I kept the best question for the end? It' s a question for you Giorgia? Are you not bored to be compared with?

Giorgia: Laughs!!! No please? (laughs)

Fabio: You know who! Say the name!!! (laughs)

Guf: Cristina (laughs)

Giorgia: Aaaah?. (laughs)

- Jeff: I was sure of the answer! (laughs)

Giorgia: Well, she is a great singer and Lacuna Coil did a lot for female singer bands. But, I really don't see the similarities between Cristina and me?

- Jeff: Maybe the melodic aspect of your voice?

Giorgia: Yeah of course, but there is a ton of other female singers so? Well, she is the biggest female singer, in the past people compared her to Anneke of The Gathering. It's always the same?

- Jeff: Anyway, their last album is not so good so we will still listen to Chaoswave!

Everybody: (Laughs!!!)

- Jeff: I suppose that you'll do some other dates after this one in Paris?

Marco: We will be in Belgium, Germany, etc.

Guf: DVS is a great label to start with, but they don't have a lot of money, so it' s no easy, but we will do Prog Power, that's great!

- Jeff: Not a lot of young bands can do this kind of little European tour, it's already great.

Guf: Definitely, we're really happy.

Raphael

- Jeff: So guys, we must finish this interview now so if you have a message to pass to our readers who don't only come from France, but also from Asia, America etc.

Raphael: To the listeners of soft or aggressive music, give us a chance because everybody can find a good thing for them in our music.

Guf: And if you come from a country where it's not so easy to find Metal CD, just send an email, we will answer to you.

- Jeff: Thank you all, I hope that I will see you again here for some other show. Good luck!

The band: Thx, see you all on the road or on http://www.chaoswave.it

Many thx to Chaoswave for their cool and friendly attitude and to Flo and Underclass for the cool meeting, as always?

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 3 users
12.11.2006 - 19:47
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
staff
Good interview man. Just got to listen to their album and it is awesome.

Hits total: 4897 | This month: 10