Saint Vitus
Trouble
Pentagram
Pagan Altar
Witchfinder General

Total votes: 21
24.06.2012 - 15:33
Aristarchos

All of these bands are considered as pioneers of the doom metal genre. I'm interested in which of them you prefer. I don't consider Black Sabbath as doom, except for some of their songs, and Candlemass is a little too late, and they would probably win if I brought them. If you know any other pre-Candlemass doom metal you like you could mention them.

My personal favourite of them is Pagan Altar. They have the best melodies.
24.06.2012 - 22:58
mortjoyeux

Witchfinder General for me. I love Zeeb Parkes, his vocals make me want to listen to them for hours. Death Penalty is such a good album. Witchfinder General is definetly the strongest song on the album for me, amazing riffs and an awesome chorus.
25.06.2012 - 11:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
ALL there shood be option all , than I will vote, but how many albums pagan Altar relise in early days
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.06.2012 - 22:23
Lit.
Account deleted
Pentagram. Their debut is equal to Candlemass' debut as my fav Doom album.
25.06.2012 - 23:19
IronAngel

There's Cirith Ungol too, but I think that just about covers the 80s doom metal before the last few years of the decade. I'm sure there are some obscure names I don't know.

I'll go with Pagan Altar, though I'm more intimate with Lords of Hypocrisy than the debut. There's just something about their sense of melody that leaves the other bands in the dust.
25.06.2012 - 23:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Aristarchos on 24.06.2012 at 15:33

All of these bands are considered as pioneers of the doom metal genre. I'm interested in which of them you prefer. I don't consider Black Sabbath as doom, except for some of their songs, and Candlemass is a little too late, and they would probably win if I brought them. If you know any other pre-Candlemass doom metal you like you could mention them.

My personal favourite of them is Pagan Altar. They have the best melodies.

even though I enjoy Pagan Altar I find it a stretch to call them pioneers since their debut album was released in 1998 and their 1982 almost no-one has or even heard at the time. I would dare say they are less doom than Black Sabbath in their sound tbh.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.07.2012 - 04:05
Jackson

I love all of these bands, but Pentagram were doing it before any of the others. Even Wino credits Bobby Liebling as the true doom pioneer. Just listen to All Your Sins or Burning Saviour. Bobby's vocals and Victor Griffin's unique riffs are unbeatable.
06.08.2012 - 12:11
Aristarchos

Written by IronAngel on 25.06.2012 at 23:19

There's Cirith Ungol too, but I think that just about covers the 80s doom metal before the last few years of the decade. I'm sure there are some obscure names I don't know.

I'll go with Pagan Altar, though I'm more intimate with Lords of Hypocrisy than the debut. There's just something about their sense of melody that leaves the other bands in the dust.

I know Cirith Ungol, but I wasn't sure how accepted they were as a doom metal band. There are some other bands I have heard being called doom too, but when I checked them out I didn't hear any doom in them. But Pagan Altar and Witchfinder General are on the border to the genre too.

I definitely agree that Lords of Hypocrisy is a better album than the debut, but I love them both.
04.10.2012 - 17:07
Aristarchos

Written by Bad English on 25.06.2012 at 11:57

ALL there shood be option all , than I will vote, but how many albums pagan Altar relise in early days

If there was an option all there would be no point doing this thread. Pagan Altar first album was at least unofficially released by themselves on tape in 1982.
04.10.2012 - 17:16
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Candlemass? I actually listened them in the '80s!
----
rekt
08.10.2012 - 12:46
Aristarchos

Written by tea[m]ster on 04.10.2012 at 17:16

Candlemass? I actually listened them in the '80s!

If I had brought Candlemass to the poll they would probably win, and there would be no fun doing this.
04.11.2012 - 14:30
Aristarchos

Written by Jackson on 14.07.2012 at 04:05

I love all of these bands, but Pentagram were doing it before any of the others. Even Wino credits Bobby Liebling as the true doom pioneer. Just listen to All Your Sins or Burning Saviour. Bobby's vocals and Victor Griffin's unique riffs are unbeatable.

I agree that Pentagram are the true pioneer of doom metal, if you don't count Black Sabbath, but Trouble and Saint Vitus took the genre further and I guess they were more influential for later bands, although Candlemass was even more influential for the 90's band, but they weren't as early as the others. Overall I guess those four bands could be considered quite equal influential for the genre. I don't know that many bands that have mentioned Witchfinder General or Pagan Altar as there main influence, and I don't know how influential they were for Trouble/Saint Vitus.
18.03.2013 - 18:25
Aristarchos

Only ten votes so far? Too few people knows these band. Personally I love all of them even more than Candlemass, with the exception of Saint Vitus, too much hardcore for me. For the one interested in more info about the bands I have written an article about the history of doom metal here: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=1219&page=&message_id=
19.03.2013 - 05:25
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Either Witchfinder General or Saint Vitus for me.
17.05.2019 - 06:45
blacktooth85

I went with Pentagram.