Metal Storm logo
Progressive rock vs. Progressive Metal

Original post

Posted by Fade To Black, 25.06.2012 - 07:33
Personally I've found I prefer prog rock over prog metal. I was wondering on the preference of the community here and why they prefer that.

The reason I prefer prog rock is that, it tends to focus on the overall structure of the song. Where as prog metal can turn into instrumental bits casually strung together.
09.11.2013 - 16:30
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Monolithic on 09.11.2013 at 09:06

Tricky, I say.

Progressive metal is indeed drawing influence from progressive rock, with the simplest example being the complexity. But, as in many other genres, progressive metal has gone way too far to be considered progressive rock anymore. (and you don't need to cite sources from encyclopedias or communities; just think about what you're listening to.) I would prefer progressive rock although I wouldn't deny that I like progressive metal as well.

Written by 3rdWorld on 08.11.2013 at 22:42

But then how can a subgenre be more welcoming than a parent genre?

Could you be more elaborate about "being more welcoming" in general?

Accepting and incorporating external influences more than the other one in context.
10.11.2013 - 00:22
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by 3rdWorld on 09.11.2013 at 16:30

Accepting and incorporating external influences more than the other one in context.

Aha. That's also a bit too tricky for genre designation. I've seen that a lot of people have these principle genres and anything that comes that is hard to be designated as such would either require them to come up with a new tag that would describe them as a fusion of those principle genres, or just write down the correlated principle genres down, just like what happens with Post-metal when some people instead use progressive metal, sludge metal and doom metal to describe it.

IMO having the ability to categorize is really essential because you can't simply put Asphyx in the same category as Marduk, but I find it to be overkill if it turns into a obsession. (e.g Asphyx being categorized as post-death/doom) Distinction exists among music bands and projects and the borderlines are obvious.
10.11.2013 - 04:42
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Monolithic on 10.11.2013 at 00:22

Aha. That's also a bit too tricky for genre designation. I've seen that a lot of people have these principle genres and anything that comes that is hard to be designated as such would either require them to come up with a new tag that would describe them as a fusion of those principle genres, or just write down the correlated principle genres down, just like what happens with Post-metal when some people instead use progressive metal, sludge metal and doom metal to describe it.

Indeed. An example would be the progarchives site where people use such terms like Eclectic prog, Neoprog, progfolk etc. It might seem totally unnecessary but for those who are extremely into prog, that might actually help categorize it more for the sheer number of bands they will have if they only use the tag as "Prog rock". I think it actually does help. But at the same time people should just listen to prog and enjoy it and not obsessed with categorizing into genres and labelling everything. Even if they are all called just "prog rock" that still wouldn't make them any less enjoyable.
29.06.2017 - 17:16
Frosst

I think I prefer prog rock over prog metal, although I'm a big fan of both. My favourite prog rock bands are Pink Floyd (one of my top ten favourite bands), Genesis, Rush and Yes. My favourite prog metal bands are Dream Theater, Symphony X, Fates Warning and Porcupine Tree. Although it's more complicated with the prog metal bands as I don't really have any clear band besides Dream Theater that I would really throw on a list of favourite bands in different genres, unlike prog rock where those I mentioned are easily in the top 20. That said I listen to a lot of bands of both prog rock and prog metal, not just those I mentioned.

EDIT: There are several other prog metal bands that I like more than some of those I mentioned, like Queensryche. I seemed to forget about them when writing my post.
----
Favourite bands:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls064836793/

Favourite artists:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls064836309/
30.06.2017 - 17:36
VIG
Account deleted
I prefer prog rock over prog metal easily. There are just more bands I like in prog rock (King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Rush, etc. although I am a sucker for Opeth's metal days)
30.08.2017 - 09:44
soltar777

I am a huge lover of both genres, but I would have to go with prog metal, that's probably just the devil in me coming out though
01.09.2017 - 17:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Lathely only prog rock, because those bands most classic, AOR Rush, Yes, King Crimson and all old school bands delivers music, good music, prog metal, just tries to be heavy, metal but cant, only few bands can be enjoable
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.12.2020 - 16:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.12.2020 - 17:08
JoHn Doe

Written by Bad English on 31.12.2020 at 16:54

QUEENSR�CHE: Unauthorized Biography Due In Late 2021

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/queensryche-unauthorized-biography-due-in-late-2021/

how tf is this relevant to this thread?
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
31.12.2020 - 20:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 31.12.2020 at 16:54

QUEENSR�CHE: Unauthorized Biography Due In Late 2021

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/queensryche-unauthorized-biography-due-in-late-2021/

I agree with the others. Post these sorts of things in the appropriate band thread or submit news if you want, but stop spamming irrelevant threads. You have a pretty long leash when it comes to posting but this is just taking advantage of that leniency.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."