06. Arboreal Sleep
07. The Fawn
08. Night Bell

Top 20 albums of 2011: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 165

Guest review by
SSM
Rating:
It's not your fault if you listen to Griseus and mysterious images haunt you through the album. It's the attitude of this masterwork, you can just listen and totally get lost in it. Just lean back, play the music and let this be your marvelous journey to mystery and nature. You will be surprised how delightful it will be.

Read more ››
published 29.01.2013 | Comments (11)

Guest review by
qlacs
Rating:
N/A
I am currently in a round of doing reviews on first time listens. Everything that comes to hand from random searches. Right now, I'm so glad that this is the first piece of my experiment. Due to this I won't give any rating, you better try it for yourself.

Imagine your non-kvlt epic black metal band doing top notch music. Give it some more touch. And even more.

Read more ››
published 29.05.2013 | Comments (3)

Found in 50 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 76   Visited by: 1597 users
25.06.2012 - 16:27
Rating: 10
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Great album !! http://aquilus.bandcamp.com/album/griseus
13.07.2012 - 18:07
Rating: 8
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Isn't youtube wonderful? This album is absolutely fantastic
14.02.2013 - 22:13
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Griseus has seriously struck a powerful cord with me. An atmospheric masterpiece. 10/10.
05.04.2013 - 22:44
Erik M.

Written by CyberSymphony on 14.02.2013 at 22:13

Griseus has seriously struck a powerful cord with me. An atmospheric masterpiece. 10/10.

Agreed. This album is insanely good and unique.

I cannot rate this anything other than a 10/10. One of the most impressive debut albums ever in my opinion, especially since it's all done by just ONE guy.
06.04.2013 - 17:19
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Erik M. on 05.04.2013 at 22:44

Written by CyberSymphony on 14.02.2013 at 22:13

Agreed. This album is insanely good and unique.

I cannot rate this anything other than a 10/10. One of the most impressive debut albums ever in my opinion, especially since it's all done by just ONE guy.

Yes, and I don't give many albums 10/10, you could listen to this album over again and still find new melodies and elements. The length of the album doesn't bother me either, although it is rather long. Probably Nihil, Latent Thistle and Arboreal Sleep are the highlights for me, but the whole album is just fantastic and magical.
06.04.2013 - 17:44
Erik M.

Written by CyberSymphony on 06.04.2013 at 17:19

Yes, and I don't give many albums 10/10, you could listen to this album over again and still find new melodies and elements. The length of the album doesn't bother me either, although it is rather long. Probably Nihil, Latent Thistle and Arboreal Sleep are the highlights for me, but the whole album is just fantastic and magical.

I don't hand out a lot of 10/10's either. Anyway, even after 5 listens I feel I haven't even fully grasped this album, so yeah, you can indeed keep listening to this without being bored at all. Although it's hard for me to decide which song is my favourite (they're all great), right now I think In Lands of Ashes is the song I enjoy the most, along with Nihil and Loss probably, but as I said I really need to listen more to know.
15.06.2013 - 19:10
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
One of the best black metal albums ever recorded. Well worth the listen and the buy. Thank you MS for helping me discover such talent.
15.06.2013 - 19:36
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Great release, but far too long. could have cut out at least 20 minutes.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.06.2013 - 12:05
adace1

Just listened to this for the first time. Easily a 10/10 and I usually don't give those out very easily. This album absolutely floored me, already one of my all-time favorite BM releases.
22.07.2013 - 07:06
BigNaughtyV

This is one of the greatest things i've ever heard in my life.
28.09.2013 - 17:54
Erik M.

Written by Carl Berg on 15.06.2013 at 19:10

One of the best black metal albums ever recorded. Well worth the listen and the buy. Thank you MS for helping me discover such talent.

Written by adace1 on 19.06.2013 at 12:05

Just listened to this for the first time. Easily a 10/10 and I usually don't give those out very easily. This album absolutely floored me, already one of my all-time favorite BM releases.

I honestly don't see how you could consider this a BM album. It's highly atmospheric and progressive, as well as lots of neoclassical parts in it and even some folk, so calling it simply a BM album is totally off the mark.
28.09.2013 - 17:56
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 17.09.2013 at 11:56

Whoever shouted this out I commend thee. This is brilliant.

Don't mention it. I used to spam this album in the shoutbox quite often.
14.10.2013 - 18:20
Doge of Venice

This album is fantastic. It might be too long, but I don't notice that much. It's so easy to just lose yourself in the atmosphere the songs create.
20.10.2013 - 16:09
Ornusashas

Wow, this album paints an extraordinary picture. Excellent, excellent, excellent!
----
Need to make a living somehow... http://creamandpowder.com/
03.12.2013 - 20:01
Rating: 9
NorthernDickhead

Absolute wonderful sound!
17.12.2013 - 19:22
chomskeet

I highly dislike almost all albums in the "atmospheric black metal" genre but this is simply amazing. In Lands of Ashes is such a killer track.
19.12.2013 - 15:45
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
This is mostly non-metal, but that doesn't detract from its epicness
19.12.2013 - 16:10
Wukk

Waiting patiently for everyone to change their minds in a few years and say it's overrated and boring.

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely in agreement with you all now, this is a really really good album. But that seems to be the way things go nowadays.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
13.01.2014 - 20:37
It cant be better than, perfect album 10/10
31.01.2014 - 06:21
no one
Account deleted
Written by Wukk on 19.12.2013 at 16:10

Waiting patiently for everyone to change their minds in a few years and say it's overrated and boring.

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely in agreement with you all now, this is a really really good album. But that seems to be the way things go nowadays.

you don't have to wait for me...If there's going to be big sections of classical/folk elements in my black metal i want it too have a strong atmospheric magical feel to it, it just never really happened listening to this.
02.02.2014 - 03:20
Doge of Venice

Written by Guest on 31.01.2014 at 06:21

Written by Wukk on 19.12.2013 at 16:10

you don't have to wait for me...If there's going to be big sections of classical/folk elements in my black metal i want it too have a strong atmospheric magical feel to it, it just never really happened listening to this.

Really? That's one of the biggest things I felt listening to this. No accounting for tastes, I guess.
14.03.2014 - 03:30
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I'm 11 minutes and change into the first song and, holy shit, is this majestic.

It sorta sounds like Summoning minus their characteristically growled vocals, the LOTR influences and with much, MUCH more majesty woven into it.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
22.03.2014 - 16:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Too flimsy for my liking. And unnecessarily long as pointed out earlier in this thread. The songs have a decent flow but meander at times which creates a bit of a disjointed feel.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.03.2014 - 17:21
Rating: 8
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.03.2014 at 16:57

Too flimsy for my liking. And unnecessarily long as pointed out earlier in this thread. The songs have a decent flow but meander at times which creates a bit of a disjointed feel.

You're too flimsy for my liking...............
I actually think this album warrants is length. Listening to it again for the first time in a few months and I'm enjoying it
09.04.2014 - 03:06
Doge of Venice

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.03.2014 at 16:57

It's a great album to fall asleep to.

How do you mean flimsy, may I ask?
09.04.2014 - 05:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Doge of Venice on 09.04.2014 at 03:06

Just in terms of overall heaviness. The classical/symphonic approach distracts me from what would otherwise be an incredible album, but that's just a matter of personal taste. Reminds me of the reason I don't like Opeth - the extreme aspects are so well done, but their softer melodic moments ruin the experience for me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.04.2014 - 20:43
Doge of Venice

Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.04.2014 at 05:50

Written by Doge of Venice on 09.04.2014 at 03:06

Just in terms of overall heaviness. The classical/symphonic approach distracts me from what would otherwise be an incredible album, but that's just a matter of personal taste. Reminds me of the reason I don't like Opeth - the extreme aspects are so well done, but their softer melodic moments ruin the experience for me.

That's understandable. The album is definitely switches between the heavier and lighter sides of the spectrum quite frequently, though I think it flows from one to another quite well. I've personally always been a fan of symphonic and classical elements (as long as they don't sound too... symphonic, or synthonic if I can use such a term, if you get me), and I think it works really well on this album.
13.04.2014 - 12:32
Masonics

Incredible experience from this melbourne based band. The cinematic overtones in "Nihil" is spectacular. The other highlight is the brutal dark start to the middle eastern flok influences in "Latent Thistle" amazing!

Agree with other users comments, much patience is required for this journey.
29.04.2014 - 11:53
BloodMusic

The album is now available on Spotify, iTunes, Amazon mp3, X-Box Music, Google Play, Rdio, etc.

Please stream and purchase via these sites - do not pirate. Money from these sites goes directly to the artist.
----
*Available: maudlin of the Well/Lykathea Aflame/Ihsahn*

Coming soon: Sigh, Manii, Odium, Kauan, Aquilus, Negura Bunget, Thy Catafalque, Ne Obliviscaris, Strapping Young Lad

Blood Music
http://www.blood-music.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlooodMusic
30.05.2014 - 15:52
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Wow, I wonder how the hell I overlooked this album. Pretty amazing stuff here.

Hits total: 33441 | This month: 101