Metal Storm logo
Marduk In Calgary June 12th/2012

Event: Marduk: Serpent Sermon World Tour 2012 - North America
Written by: Doc G., Lemski
Published: 26.06.2012

Reverend Kill
Reverbnation
Opening this night of extreme metal was local death metallers Reverend Kill...Not a whole lot to say, really. Yes, these guys are pretty solid, but after seeing them 3 days before, there wasn't a whole lot of surprises in the bag. Just solid death metal.

Weapon
Facebook
Now here's a band surviving solely on word-of-mouth alone...And not a whole lot more. Not to say this band is bad, but their music is about as creative as their band name. Coming across as almost a poor mans Deströyer 666, it's essentially a lot of decent riffs flung together haphazardly. Typical opening act material, right here.

Withered
Was this band good or bad? Honestly, I could not for life of me tell you anything about how this band sounded. What makes this even more odd was the fact that I was present (and sober) throughout the entire set. "Wall of noise" would be just about the only way to describe what I heard here. Not the bands fault, mind you. You could have replaced anything coming through the speakers with the sound of the inside of a jet engine and there really wouldn't have been much of a difference. The sound guy seemed to just have cranked everything as high as it could go, then walked away, making the music being played in this set totally indecipherable.

Just flat-out awesome. Reminiscent of a live Watain set (minus the dead animals), this is a band with stage presence. Unlike Watain, these guys projected the same atmosphere of menacing ferocity with absolutely no stage set up...Hell, there's barely even a stage at The Distillery! Combine that stage presence with material that seemed to pick up a whole other dimension to it in the live setting and what you've got is a band that really gave the headliner a run for their money. Even their most typical, bland tracks seemed like black metal super-hits here.

Marduk
Remember when I said 1349 almost stole the show? Well, that's because the only thing that gave Marduk the edge was the crowd size/density, otherwise, it was neck-and-neck. Atmosphere goes a long way, having that extra couple dozen people crammed into the club can make the difference between seeing a great concert and having a real explosive party. Aside from a slightly warmer crowd reception, Marduk's set seemed to pick up seamlessly where 1349's left off. Stripped-down set with great menacing stage presence? Check. Material sounding better live? Check.

...And yes, they totally played your favourite song, and you missed it.

*Photos courtesy of Lemski

Written on 26.06.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 71 users
26.06.2012 - 09:38
BudDa

Doc, what's my Marduk favorite song?
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
26.06.2012 - 11:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by BudDa on 26.06.2012 at 09:38

Doc, what's my Marduk favorite song?

My Heart Will Go On
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.06.2012 - 13:01
BudDa

Written by Doc G. on 26.06.2012 at 11:31

My Heart Will Go On

Hahaha. Oh Look! Something we've got in common.
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
26.06.2012 - 18:05
D.T. Metal

Nice! So bummed that this tour didn't come my way. How was Jon Rice on drums for 1349 since Frost is with Satyricon in Europe right now?
26.06.2012 - 18:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by D.T. Metal on 26.06.2012 at 18:05

Nice! So bummed that this tour didn't come my way. How was Jon Rice on drums for 1349 since Frost is with Satyricon in Europe right now?

Seamless. Nothing seemed out of place there.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.07.2012 - 00:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Shame about Withered's sound. i dig Withered.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 5970 | This month: 7