Metal Storm logo
What's his face Pt.1

Written by: Boxcar Willy
Published: 29.06.2012

There are many musicians who are famous and overrated: Lars Ulrich, Jari Mäenpää, and many more - overwhelmed with fanboys and given more credit for talents that many others have... but what of the other side of the spectrum? No, not terrible and overrated, but rather fantastic and underrated. There are hundreds of thousands of musicians in this world, and not all can achieve the fame that they deserve. With this article, I'd like to show a few of those musicians.

Sven De Caluwé of Aborted, System Divide, ex- Leng Tch'e.

Sven is not so much underrated as overlooked. As the frontman of Aborted, Sven has been belting out the vocals since '95, and has been in several bands and on several albums. Sven is underrated simply because he has the perfect death metal voice. It's powerful and dirty, he has amazing highs as well superb lows. He also played drums in Leng Tch'e, so that's another bonus to this fantastic musician. His work in Aborted is very well known; I mean, how many metalheads don't know Aborted? They've released some killer albums in their career.

Javier Gálvez of Horn Of The Rhino.

When one has a musical talent, it's fantastic, they can join a band and preform with that talent to the best of their abilities. But... what if someone has two talents? Javier plays guitar, and sings for Horn Of The Rhino. Not only is his guitar work excellent, but his vocals are on a whole 'nother level (refer here for a more detailed description). His voice is full of hate, anger, sadness, and passion, pure unadulterated pass-- er... let's not go there. His voice ranges from thick sludge growls to falsetto doom metal shrieks. He certainly can do it all.

Yannick St-Amand of Despised Icon.

Another underrated musician in the sea that is metal is Yannick St-Amand. Yeah, I know you just went who? and searched him in the musicians category. Boom, I'm a psychic. If you search, you'll find out that he was the guitarist of a little known Montreal band called Despised Icon.

Despised Icon? Those deathcore playing pussies?

Yeah, them. Now, Eric hasn't done anything since leaving the band in 2006, but what's more important is what he did from 2002 to 2006. Yannick was the main guitarist for the band, and he was a damn fine player. He had the talent to perform leads and the crushing breakdowns I know you all love. He may not be the most talented musician in this article, but he definitely deserves to be acknowledged. Check his work in the song "Absolu".

Paul Romanko of Shadows Fall.

(bass boost on)
Paul has been Shadows Fall's bassist even since their inception by Phil LaBonte in 1996. Most people overlook bassists in general. I mean, half the time you don't even know there's bass on the album, and look at all the great bands that dont even have a bassist ( Pig Destroyer, for one). Anyway, Paul is a fantastic and extremely technical bassist. He creates cool grooves and even some technical bass leads. He provides excellent backing for the guitars and he really ties together the whole band.

Adam Trakinskas of Baptized In Blood.

Metal vocals aren't easy. Sure, anyone can scream into a mic and hope for the best, but being a halfway decent vocalist requires some skill, and a whole lotta heart. Adam belts out the cheese-filled, scuzzy lyrics of Baptized In Blood and he does it well. Highs and lows, he's got it all. His fun thrash-esque metalcore voice fits well with the soaring leads of the band, or even with the crushing breakdowns. Check out the song "Dirty's Back" or even his earlier works, like "Kickin' Ass And Takin' The Blame" (however, the production on this one is quite spotty).

With this, I hope I have inspired you all to listen to these, and find some other underrated musicians yourselves! Next issue, I'll be focusing on entire bands that are underrated.

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 25   Visited by: 211 users
29.06.2012 - 15:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I personally don't know too many people who overlook Svencho as a death metal vocalist - although you've kind of overhyped his talents a tad in my opinion. He doesn't have the perfect death metal voice, being that his growls are underutilized and his higher-pitched fast-paced screams are far better suited for grindcore.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.06.2012 - 15:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.06.2012 at 15:48

I personally don't know too many people who overlook Svencho as a death metal vocalist - although you've kind of overhyped his talents a tad in my opinion. He doesn't have the perfect death metal voice, being that his growls are underutilized and his higher-pitched fast-paced screams are far better suited for grindcore.

I think that when someone asks "Hey, who's a good Death metal Vocalist?" not a lot of people would say Svencho, hence the reason i put him here.I think his work is best in Goremegaddon, which is deathgrind I guess, but whatever genre it is, he preforms very well.

Check out Javier for an AMAZING vocalist.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.06.2012 - 15:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.06.2012 at 15:50

You're forgetting I've already listened to this guy (and the band) before.

As for Svencho being overlooked - that's simply because there are dozens of other extreme metal vocalists that do it better, whether in death metal or grindcore. Even though I consider myself a bit of a fan, I can definitely separate myself from that and call him for what he is: a serviceable frontman with a nice mix of scarce gutturals and pitched screams.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.06.2012 - 15:57
Milena
gloom cookie
You basically just wrote an article about your favorite underground musicians. But it's cool.
----
7.0 means the album is good
29.06.2012 - 16:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Milena on 29.06.2012 at 15:57

You basically just wrote an article about your favorite underground musicians. But it's cool.

That's kind of the point, I'm just showing you some good musicians that not a lot of people know, and that I think deserve more regognition.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.06.2012 - 16:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Come on Sven is really well-known it's almost safe to say ABorted is a mainstream "brutal" death metal band
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.06.2012 - 16:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.06.2012 at 15:56

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.06.2012 at 15:50

You're forgetting I've already listened to this guy (and the band) before.

You didn't listen to stoner Javier, their 2010 albums sounds like a totally different band as compared to their 2012 release.

Also, I think Svencho is my favourite DM musician, so maybe I was a little biased. But he still deserve a mention here
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.06.2012 - 16:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.06.2012 at 16:14

Come on Sven is really well-known it's almost safe to say ABorted is a mainstream "brutal" death metal band

Fine, he shouldn't be here >:{

Are you guys happy now?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.06.2012 - 16:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.06.2012 at 16:16

At the end of the day it's your opinion, but it's just strange seeing such a well-known vocalist of such a popular extreme metal band being mentioned as an underrated/overlooked musician. Not that the other bands are mired deep in the underground or anything, but at least with them I don't see them mentioned everywhere by legions of metalheads. Svencho has quite a big following and he's very well known to basically anyone who listens to death metal or grindcore. And those who've heard him probably understand that he's definitely good at what he does, but he's by no means someone to consider as an elite talent in the genre.

Although that's only my opinion, which simply differs from yours. Nothing to do with being happy or upset that he's listed here. It's your article after all.
----
29.06.2012 - 16:22
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.06.2012 at 16:21

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.06.2012 at 16:16

At the end of the day it's your opinion, but it's just strange seeing such a well-known vocalist of such a popular extreme metal band being mentioned as an underrated/overlooked musician. Not that the other bands are mired deep in the underground or anything, but at least with them I don't see them mentioned everywhere by legions of metalheads. Svencho has quite a big following and he's very well known to basically anyone who listens to death metal or grindcore. And those who've heard him probably understand that he's definitely good at what he does, but he's by no means someone to consider as an elite talent in the genre.

Although that's only my opinion, which simply differs from yours. Nothing to do with being happy or upset that he's listed here. It's your article after all.

No, you're right, I don't know why I thought that he was overlooked :/

Brain farts suck.

Still I think he's a very good musician
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.06.2012 - 19:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
You should have covered it more.

anyways, I think MIKE SHINODA deserves the place out here.....r-ight?! With being a good rapper, he writes a pretty good music too. You know, the main guy who lift up the LINKIN PARK and then went further to uplift his side project( FORT MINOR) incredibly.

Mike is always an underrated musician to be honest.
01.07.2012 - 05:00
Lit.
Account deleted
I'm surprised David Gold isn't on here.
01.07.2012 - 05:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 01.07.2012 at 05:00

I'm surprised David Gold isn't on here.

Cool.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.07.2012 - 11:49
Void Eater
Account deleted

Diamond Plate's guitarist is the best thing to come out of the thrash resurgence, and should get more credit for his insane solos. And seriously, look at this kid Willy! He's your age!
02.07.2012 - 15:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 02.07.2012 at 11:49

Diamond Plate's guitarist is the best thing to come out of the thrash resurgence, and should get more credit for his insane solos. And seriously, look at this kid Willy! He's your age!

He's actually 20 or so
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.07.2012 - 17:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

Too bad the vocals ruin that. But yeah He's a very giood guitarist.

Also, is that Roddy on bass
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.07.2012 - 17:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 02.07.2012 at 17:33

Aslo, is that Roddy on bass

----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.07.2012 - 18:28
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.07.2012 at 15:17

He's actually 20 or so

The video description says that the members were 15/16 at the time, and since the video was filmed 4 years ago, and the guy is 20 now, he was probably 16 when the video was filmed. Close enough to Willy's age.

Actually, his birthday is March 28, and since the video was filmed in February, yup, he was 15 at the time. Now apologize for your foolishness.
02.07.2012 - 21:03
malaikat

Jari is overrated? Why? He is considered to be fantastic guitar player and songwriter, nothing more. He's not some self-proclaimed metal legend, he's just one of the many great metal musicians.

Plus, as Mora said, this is basically "Boxcar's Top Underground Bands". Some of them are great, but nothing special.
02.07.2012 - 21:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by malaikat on 02.07.2012 at 21:03

Jari is overrated? Why? He is considered to be fantastic guitar player and songwriter, nothing more. He's not some self-proclaimed metal legend, he's just one of the many great metal musicians.

Plus, as Mora said, this is basically "Boxcar's Top Underground Bands". Some of them are great, but nothing special.

Calm your tits, it was just a jab at the guy, nothing more.

And like, I said to Mora, that's pretty much what it is, except I focused on the musicians. you'd have known that if you read past the Jari line.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.07.2012 - 12:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 02.07.2012 at 18:28

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.07.2012 at 15:17

He's actually 20 or so

The video description says that the members were 15/16 at the time, and since the video was filmed 4 years ago, and the guy is 20 now, he was probably 16 when the video was filmed. Close enough to Willy's age.

Can''t read the video description here on MS now can I? Could I have read it I would have agreed with your statement.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2012 - 21:34
Sync
Account deleted
Quote:
There are many musicians who are famous and overrated: ...Jari Mäenpää

I stopped reading at this point.
21.10.2012 - 12:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 20.10.2012 at 21:34

Quote:
There are many musicians who are famous and overrated: ...Jari Mäenpää

I stopped reading at this point.

well, there is no denying he is overrated. Loads of people treat the guy as if he is some frigging genius. Which he totally is not.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.01.2013 - 03:46
thundercunt
Account deleted
Yo dawg i jus found this article here
u gonna write anotha one a these things or what
it be cool to see what a brotha into last year n what you into now
16.01.2013 - 03:55
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 16.01.2013 at 03:46

Yo dawg i jus found this article here
u gonna write anotha one a these things or what
it be cool to see what a brotha into last year n what you into now

Totally forgot about this

Well, I'll have a stab at another after exams. I still listen to all of these bands fairly regularily, but my taste has expanded.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 5685 | This month: 5