Metal Storm logo
Is there something you buy a lot of?

06.07.2012 - 06:59
MetalSpider

Hopefully a thread like this hasn't been done before (can't find one).

So is there something (besides music and movies/games) that you buy a lot of? Are the items you buy expensive? Is it a collection you've been building for years? etc.

I have 5 headphones (well 4, 1 hasn't arrived yet). Collectively the 5 cost $1000. I've had headphones for many years but they were nothing special. Just the average headphones that you find anywhere and don't cost much. However, one day I bought a pair of $200 headphones (which I bought 4-5 years ago now and still have) and than a second for $250 not long after (the second pair still being used and still my favourite). Ever since than, I can't go back to cheap standard headphones. And it was just last week that I bought 2 more and today I bought my most expensive set yet $300 (originally $450 but they were on sale). I'm definitely thinking of buying more in the near future.

So anyone else out there crazy like me?
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
06.07.2012 - 17:02
Ernis
狼獾
Coffee. As I'm rather snobbish about it, I only buy high quality stuff. Can't really stand the sawdust marketed under the name of "coffee" that you find at an average supermarket. Bought three kilograms of different Lavazza brands to ensure adequate supplies for at least a couple of months.

Another thing I used to buy a lot was wine. There was no meal without a glass or two of good wine. But as I'm not living in Italy any longer, I can't afford that any more (due to the high prices of alcoholic beverages and pretty much everything in Estonistan) and even though I have several bottles stored at home, I only keep them for special occasions.
06.07.2012 - 17:22
Thrashette

Next to anything related to school, metal, or chilling with friends, most of my spent cash goes towards yarn. It makes sense because I knit and crochet, but I have at least 30 skeins of yarn hanging around, some of which I bought around 6 months ago and haven't even opened yet. I probably am a little on the obsessive side since I always have to check out the yarn section when I'm at Walmart or wherever, and I always stop to check out the pattern when I see things made out of yarn. My yarn supply has been growing since I was 8 years old and I actually do have some yarn that's been hanging around since then (like this huge amount of rainbow yarn that I thought was really cool back then but now realize isn't even that nice nor useful). With that being said, I have 8 crochet hooks and at least 6 sets of knit needles but haven't got any new ones since last summer mostly because they were on sale. Oh well, most of this stuff is inexpensive and it actually earns me money if I sell stuff I make or make something for my friends on their birthdays instead of buying them something.
06.07.2012 - 17:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I used to buy a lot of junk food. All kinds of candy, chocolate bars, ice cream, baked goods and snack pastries, fast food... A significant percentage of my outcome was junk food-related.

However, I've since made the decision to eat healthier and now I spend barely any money on that kind of stuff. Now I don't really have anything to spend money on like I did before, but I do tend to spend a little here and there on vinyl records when I can. Not exactly "buying a lot of", though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.07.2012 - 18:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.07.2012 at 17:41

I used to buy a lot of junk food. All kinds of candy, chocolate bars, ice cream, baked goods and snack pastries, fast food... A significant percentage of my outcome was junk food-related.

Me too. I can't cook to save my life, so I have to eat something

I also have bought quite a lot of coca-cola these past days. I fear I may be addicted to it as I was feeling a bit weird yesterday though I hope it was not from the lack of drinking it
06.07.2012 - 20:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Beer. i buy a lot of beer.

and i buy headphones all too often as earbuds seem to be cheap (well, cheaply made, not cheap costing) pieces of shit. unfortunately they are the most comfortable to fall asleep with them on.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.07.2012 - 20:29
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 06.07.2012 at 20:20

and i buy headphones all too often as earbuds seem to be cheap (well, cheaply made, not cheap costing) pieces of shit. unfortunately they are the most comfortable to fall asleep with them on.

Do you wrap the wires up? When tightly wrapped, they usually last me a month. i've had this pair now for about 8 months, i dont wrap the wires, but untangling can be a bitch.
06.07.2012 - 20:45
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 06.07.2012 at 20:29

Do you wrap the wires up? When tightly wrapped, they usually last me a month. i've had this pair now for about 8 months, i dont wrap the wires, but untangling can be a bitch.

nah, but i seldom put them in a position where it's bad. they sit on the end table next to the bed laid out unless being used, outside of the occasional trip - but those are few and far between. it's the apple ones that suck - but seeing as i listen to half my music on an iphone, those are preferred.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.07.2012 - 20:46
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 06.07.2012 at 20:45

nah, but i seldom put them in a position where it's bad. they sit on the end table next to the bed laid out unless being used, outside of the occasional trip - but those are few and far between. it's the apple ones that suck - but seeing as i listen to half my music on an iphone, those are preferred.

Not only do the apple ones last for an extremely short period of time, they're overpriced and extremely uncomfortable.

Theres some nice senheisser in-ear headphones, which have a little mic built in, so you'll never need the apple ones again.

Edit:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001FWYXF0/ref=asc_df_B001FWYXF08637511?smid=A1IIYMYOTS1BFY&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B001FWYXF0
06.07.2012 - 21:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Haha, the feedback on those seems just as bad. my Cowon mp3 headphones are well enough, but the cord had issues and had to use electrical tape to cover up exposed wires. Zune (my prior player) had good headphones, but uncomfortable to use while sleeping. also have a Skullcandy pair that sound great, but my ears are not shaped in a manner which coincide with the rubber cones they provide for optimal listening.

a cheap ass Sony pair actually do well for evenings, but sound quality is worse than apple.
----

06.07.2012 - 21:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Only cds and movies, mostly cds though
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.07.2012 - 23:52
Sync
Account deleted
Hmm, Lucozade for me. Bought about 1 every day for the past 4 years -ish. I should really cut down on those things soon... ;_:
07.07.2012 - 01:08
Butters49

Weed. and beer.
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
07.07.2012 - 01:29
MetalSpider

Written by BitterCOld on 06.07.2012 at 21:27

Haha, the feedback on those seems just as bad. my Cowon mp3 headphones are well enough, but the cord had issues and had to use electrical tape to cover up exposed wires. Zune (my prior player) had good headphones, but uncomfortable to use while sleeping. also have a Skullcandy pair that sound great, but my ears are not shaped in a manner which coincide with the rubber cones they provide for optimal listening.

a cheap ass Sony pair actually do well for evenings, but sound quality is worse than apple.

You should check the forums HeadFi if you want some good and cheap headphones that have great sound quality. The people there will definitely help you find one....thats if you're interested in finding better headphones of course. I know a lot of people can't be bothered. But ever since I bought my first 2 high end headphones...I just can't buy any cheap old headphones or any headphones for that matter without researching them first.
----

07.07.2012 - 01:39
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Condoms.

I like to make balloon animals in my spare time.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.07.2012 - 01:49
Void Eater
Account deleted
Manowar condoms.
07.07.2012 - 02:21
Mattybu

unfortunately they are the most comfortable to fall asleep with them on.

I have a computer in my room so I guess if you don't it's not really an option but I find that to be the best way to listen to music before sleeping. I listen to Caress of Steel before I go to sleep basically every night.

Anyways, other than CD's and video games and such, I have a bunch of mild collections but Hot Wheels is probably my biggest one. Here is a picture:

About 250 cars in that picture and that's not the whole collection. It's not too expensive (although I've paid $30+ for some cars) and it's a fun thing to collect.

I've also met Larry Wood and I got his autograph, he's a nice guy.
07.07.2012 - 02:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by MetalSpider on 07.07.2012 at 01:29

I know a lot of people can't be bothered. But ever since I bought my first 2 high end headphones...I just can't buy any cheap old headphones or any headphones for that matter without researching them first.

just not sure of the point of awesome headphones if i'm listening to an iPhone. to me it'd be like using a 1080dpi Hi Def tv to watch blurry old home movie footage transferred to a VHS cassette.

i actually debated buying a noise canceling pair at the airport, but again... even my nice mp3 player lacks an EQ and i haven't had a home component system in 15 years after my receiver blew up. considering how much music i listen to, my music listening devices are a sad, pathetic embarrassment.
----

07.07.2012 - 03:13
MetalSpider

Written by BitterCOld on 07.07.2012 at 02:30

Written by MetalSpider on 07.07.2012 at 01:29

I know a lot of people can't be bothered. But ever since I bought my first 2 high end headphones...I just can't buy any cheap old headphones or any headphones for that matter without researching them first.

just not sure of the point of awesome headphones if i'm listening to an iPhone. to me it'd be like using a 1080dpi Hi Def tv to watch blurry old home movie footage transferred to a VHS cassette.

i actually debated buying a noise canceling pair at the airport, but again... even my nice mp3 player lacks an EQ and i haven't had a home component system in 15 years after my receiver blew up. considering how much music i listen to, my music listening devices are a sad, pathetic embarrassment.

I think with some headphones, they are designed to be very forgiving in terms of the sound source you use (there are headphones out there though that do require an amp and better sound source to really sound good). My latest headphones are Denon D2000's ($300)...I plug straight into my laptop. My laptop has a standard soundcard, nothing special. I tried the headphones on my iPhone as well. They sound incredible the way they are. Yes they would sound even better plugged into a better sound source that's for sure, but they still sound 10x better than the pair of $80 headphones that I have. So imo, I do think buying awesome headphones even if you plug them into an iPhone is a good idea. But of course that's just me...since I'm hooked on expensive headphones lol.

And that's not to say cheap headphones can't sound good. I tried a pair of $250 headphones and I didn't like their sound whatsoever compared to some of the cheaper ones offered.
----

07.07.2012 - 20:46
Lit.
Account deleted
Books. I have a full ceiling-high bookshelf and a full midget one. I also have a couple on my computer desk and my nightstand. 75% are fiction, 25% are non-fiction.
07.07.2012 - 23:55
MetalSpider

Written by Mattybu on 07.07.2012 at 02:21

unfortunately they are the most comfortable to fall asleep with them on.

I have a computer in my room so I guess if you don't it's not really an option but I find that to be the best way to listen to music before sleeping. I listen to Caress of Steel before I go to sleep basically every night.

Anyways, other than CD's and video games and such, I have a bunch of mild collections but Hot Wheels is probably my biggest one. Here is a picture:

About 250 cars in that picture and that's not the whole collection. It's not too expensive (although I've paid $30+ for some cars) and it's a fun thing to collect.

I've also met Larry Wood and I got his autograph, he's a nice guy.

When I was a kid I had 100's of hot wheels and what not. Wish I still had them!
----

08.07.2012 - 01:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
In the spirit of this thread I would also say that at least for the past 8 months about 80% of all my income went to travelling and music-related things (like guitars, festival/concert tickets, etc.). In March I actually spent my entire previous month's pay on my newest guitar, a Dean Michael Schenker V with case. Ah, I'm gonna miss not having to pay rent ;d
08.07.2012 - 04:59
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I have to buy gasoline for my car --- that damn thing consumes fuel like ... something
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
08.07.2012 - 06:32
Mattybu

Written by MetalSpider on 07.07.2012 at 23:55

When I was a kid I had 100's of hot wheels and what not. Wish I still had them!

Some of them can be very valuable later on. But yeah, they are an easy thing to collect and they really look good on display.

I would estimate the value of my collection at $800, selling them to the right people.
09.07.2012 - 14:37
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

untangling can be a bitch.

I fucking hate the most. :/
09.07.2012 - 18:05
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Junk food, chocolates, ice cream etc. Generally followed after some good bud
Also metal tees. I noticed that my wardrobe now consists of only metal tees.
Occasional beers, but I guess not too much, maybe 1-3 times a week
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
09.07.2012 - 22:51
Fredd
Account deleted
Juice. Shitty canned juice.
10.07.2012 - 00:21
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.07.2012 at 14:37

untangling can be a bitch.

I fucking hate the most. :/

It could suit the fun stuff thread somewhat better but as you already mentioned it...

11.02.2013 - 16:28
snowfall

Cigarettes. In every age i had things to waste money.. cardgames or other useless toys as a kid, then i started smoking and since then thats my 'package to carry around with me'
13.02.2013 - 13:56
Jtbmetal123

Magazines, over the years ive subscribed to Revolver, Guitar World, Terrorizer and Im about to subscribe to Deicibel. So I have a lot.