‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 [2]
Users visited: 217  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by Valentin B on 06.07.2012 at 10:37
Mostly I would say that old bands are generally in this category, and out of those I've witnessed I would mention Metallica, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Manowar, but the best example I can think of is Motley Crue. Now regardless of how much you hate them (and they are a pretty despised group around here) their studio songs have a certain quality to them, but live it completely falls apart, with the drunk driver asshole Vince Neil being the most appalling. Just judge for yourself:

"Wild Side" studio version..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hihge6FFVw

sounds pretty good right? well, just wait until you hear this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op3tFWN8crM

what the hell is he saying? it seems like he can't articulate one proper word anymore, Sixx's bass is turned way too high up, and Mars' guitar is all over the place. the only one who seems to be doing a good job is Tommy Lee but even he is not doing anything extraordinary as this song is extremely easy on all instruments.

thoughts? other bands to be added to the black list?

Page 2 of 2

sentinel65

02.08.2012 at 03:20
Written by malaikat on 11.07.2012 at 01:48

Nobody mentioned Mastodon? I've never heard them live, but from what I've seen from their concert video clips, their live vocals are horrendous.

I recently just saw them live; while they're not perfect they're far from horrendous.
malaikat

02.08.2012 at 11:02
Written by sentinel65 on 02.08.2012 at 03:20

Written by malaikat on 11.07.2012 at 01:48

Nobody mentioned Mastodon? I've never heard them live, but from what I've seen from their concert video clips, their live vocals are horrendous.

I recently just saw them live; while they're not perfect they're far from horrendous.

Really? As I said, I never actually seen them live, I just saw them on YT and DVDs - their performance was pretty ok, no doubt there, they're great musicians, but vocals.... Oh god the vocals.
Misfit74

05.08.2012 at 00:19
Disturbed sucked ass live, though the music was tight and similar to their records the singer was totally sleepwalking, giving no energy or effort. If you're a front-man and all you do is sing, surely your job is to be that front-man, lead, and get the crowd involved. Though I don't care for Disturbed anymore - this was the 'Sickness' era IIRC I figured I'd mention it. The opening band, Bloodsimple, was far better in terms of show.

Still, nothing will be worse than enduring a set from St. Vitus. Couldn't wait for them to get over with. They opened for Helmet a year or so ago.

The Faceless was so lame live I went and sat w/ a friend in the restaurant connected to the venue for most of the set. Awful.
----

My Music on RYM
Last.fm
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Fuck

05.08.2012 at 00:22
Written by Misfit74 on 05.08.2012 at 00:19

Still, nothing will be worse than enduring a set from St. Vitus. Couldn't wait for them to get over with. They opened for Helmet a year or so ago.

St. Vitus are great live. Saw them not too long ago headlining and playing a 90 minute set and not a single second felt too long. I must have seen them about 10 times now and only one time they weren't good and that was their reunion gig at Roadburn a couple of years ago, but that had to diwth Armando's terrible drumming. It's not surprising he was replaced shortly after that gig
But then again St. Vitus opening for Helmet is a musical mismatch
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

!J.O.O.E.!
Mr. Off-Topic

05.08.2012 at 00:56
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.08.2012 at 00:22

playing a 90 minute set

90 minutes of St. Vitus? Dear God, I'd rather watch cricket whilst sitting naked in an alkali bath.
----
skrog1

10.03.2013 at 03:52
Rob Zombie, for sure! I'm not a big fan of his solo stuff but even when he was in White Zombie, the dude just loses his breath so quickly! He doesn't even sing half his set most of the time!
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
Deithial

10.03.2013 at 16:57
I saw King Diamond when he came with MF for the "Dead Again" tour. For the show at least he hit the high notes, it was impressive. I will agree with Megadeth live, my biggest complaint was a) He doesn't play any of his older songs cept Peace Sells & Anarchy & b) the man never moved, the entire show he just parked at the mic, could have been a robot for all we knew.

My addition would have to be Danzig, seen him live twice. He gets out of breath pretty fast then his voice goes a little off. But hey, it happens, the last time we saw him (Danzig 4 tour) I got backstage passes so it made up for it big time. Cool guy in person for sure.
Vikcen
Metálico

14.05.2013 at 21:26
Written by erikwithafro81 on 01.08.2012 at 10:26

Written by Drahcir on 23.07.2012 at 04:58

Symphony X - Great in the studio, but boring live!

No idea what you're talking about amigo, Symphony X tear it up so good when they play live, and they're spot on to boot. Maybe you caught a bad show?

I've never seen Deicide put on a good show. Granted, I don't care for them whatsoever, but I at least know when a band puts on a good show regardless of how I feel about them. Also Leaves Eyes. Bleh.

I also saw Symphony X one time, in a small venue, and they sounded spectacular .
Jtbmetal123

15.05.2013 at 14:28
Ive heard Dragonforce is like that. I havent seen anybody live thats really bad.
Lit.
Brütal Legend

15.05.2013 at 20:44
Cannibal Corpse is another to bring up. At Summer Slaughter, they were so dull! It felt like a full hour of the same song over and over again. They don't even do anything, too. They just stand there and play. Honestly, I think it was a massive mistake having Between the Buried and Me go before them, cause BtBaM blew them out of the freaking water.
----
REPUBLICAN CAR!
JorgonQ

17.05.2013 at 15:53
Written by Vikcen on 14.05.2013 at 21:26

Written by erikwithafro81 on 01.08.2012 at 10:26

Written by Drahcir on 23.07.2012 at 04:58

Symphony X - Great in the studio, but boring live!

No idea what you're talking about amigo, Symphony X tear it up so good when they play live, and they're spot on to boot. Maybe you caught a bad show?

I've never seen Deicide put on a good show. Granted, I don't care for them whatsoever, but I at least know when a band puts on a good show regardless of how I feel about them. Also Leaves Eyes. Bleh.

I also saw Symphony X one time, in a small venue, and they sounded spectacular .

Maybe Symphony X awhile ago wasn't that hot live, I remember seeing them in Cleveland early 2000's and I kinda moved on. I then saw them with Iced Earth in Seattle for their Iconoclast world tour and they absolutely crushed that show. They had a good balance of slower songs like "Dehumanized" with faster tunes like "Eve of Seduction".

As a side note, Iced Earth had the gumption to play Dante's Inferno live, which was killer. Don't know how they made that work, but they did.
----
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Vikcen
Metálico

19.05.2013 at 22:56
Written by JorgonQ on 17.05.2013 at 15:53

Maybe Symphony X awhile ago wasn't that hot live, I remember seeing them in Cleveland early 2000's and I kinda moved on. I then saw them with Iced Earth in Seattle for their Iconoclast world tour and they absolutely crushed that show. They had a good balance of slower songs like "Dehumanized" with faster tunes like "Eve of Seduction".

As a side note, Iced Earth had the gumption to play Dante's Inferno live, which was killer. Don't know how they made that work, but they did.

Yeah, also i saw them in the Iconoclast tour, one of the best concerts in my live. Well, the three last albums are the best in their career in my opinion, though they played the entire album of Iconoclast =) plus some song from the The Odyssey and Paradise Lost , here you can see the tracklist of this concert and some videos.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 [2]

Login or register to post here.