Metal Storm logo
Bands that are good in studio, but horrible in concert

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 06.07.2012 - 10:37
Mostly I would say that old bands are generally in this category, and out of those I've witnessed I would mention Metallica, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Manowar, but the best example I can think of is Motley Crue. Now regardless of how much you hate them (and they are a pretty despised group around here) their studio songs have a certain quality to them, but live it completely falls apart, with the drunk driver asshole Vince Neil being the most appalling. Just judge for yourself:

"Wild Side" studio version..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hihge6FFVw

sounds pretty good right? well, just wait until you hear this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op3tFWN8crM

what the hell is he saying? it seems like he can't articulate one proper word anymore, Sixx's bass is turned way too high up, and Mars' guitar is all over the place. the only one who seems to be doing a good job is Tommy Lee but even he is not doing anything extraordinary as this song is extremely easy on all instruments.

thoughts? other bands to be added to the black list?
02.08.2012 - 03:20
Sentinel65

Written by malaikat on 11.07.2012 at 01:48

Nobody mentioned Mastodon? I've never heard them live, but from what I've seen from their concert video clips, their live vocals are horrendous.

I recently just saw them live; while they're not perfect they're far from horrendous.
02.08.2012 - 11:02
malaikat

Written by Sentinel65 on 02.08.2012 at 03:20

Written by malaikat on 11.07.2012 at 01:48

Nobody mentioned Mastodon? I've never heard them live, but from what I've seen from their concert video clips, their live vocals are horrendous.

I recently just saw them live; while they're not perfect they're far from horrendous.

Really? As I said, I never actually seen them live, I just saw them on YT and DVDs - their performance was pretty ok, no doubt there, they're great musicians, but vocals.... Oh god the vocals.
05.08.2012 - 00:19
Misfit74

Disturbed sucked ass live, though the music was tight and similar to their records the singer was totally sleepwalking, giving no energy or effort. If you're a front-man and all you do is sing, surely your job is to be that front-man, lead, and get the crowd involved. Though I don't care for Disturbed anymore - this was the 'Sickness' era IIRC I figured I'd mention it. The opening band, Bloodsimple, was far better in terms of show.

Still, nothing will be worse than enduring a set from St. Vitus. Couldn't wait for them to get over with. They opened for Helmet a year or so ago.

The Faceless was so lame live I went and sat w/ a friend in the restaurant connected to the venue for most of the set. Awful.
05.08.2012 - 00:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Misfit74 on 05.08.2012 at 00:19

Still, nothing will be worse than enduring a set from St. Vitus. Couldn't wait for them to get over with. They opened for Helmet a year or so ago.

St. Vitus are great live. Saw them not too long ago headlining and playing a 90 minute set and not a single second felt too long. I must have seen them about 10 times now and only one time they weren't good and that was their reunion gig at Roadburn a couple of years ago, but that had to diwth Armando's terrible drumming. It's not surprising he was replaced shortly after that gig
But then again St. Vitus opening for Helmet is a musical mismatch
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.08.2012 - 00:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.08.2012 at 00:22

playing a 90 minute set

90 minutes of St. Vitus? Dear God, I'd rather watch cricket whilst sitting naked in an alkali bath.
10.03.2013 - 03:52
skrog1

Rob Zombie, for sure! I'm not a big fan of his solo stuff but even when he was in White Zombie, the dude just loses his breath so quickly! He doesn't even sing half his set most of the time!
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
10.03.2013 - 16:57
Deithial

I saw King Diamond when he came with MF for the "Dead Again" tour. For the show at least he hit the high notes, it was impressive. I will agree with Megadeth live, my biggest complaint was a) He doesn't play any of his older songs cept Peace Sells & Anarchy & b) the man never moved, the entire show he just parked at the mic, could have been a robot for all we knew.

My addition would have to be Danzig, seen him live twice. He gets out of breath pretty fast then his voice goes a little off. But hey, it happens, the last time we saw him (Danzig 4 tour) I got backstage passes so it made up for it big time. Cool guy in person for sure.
14.05.2013 - 21:26
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by erikwithafro81 on 01.08.2012 at 10:26

Written by Drahcir on 23.07.2012 at 04:58

Symphony X - Great in the studio, but boring live!

No idea what you're talking about amigo, Symphony X tear it up so good when they play live, and they're spot on to boot. Maybe you caught a bad show?

I've never seen Deicide put on a good show. Granted, I don't care for them whatsoever, but I at least know when a band puts on a good show regardless of how I feel about them. Also Leaves Eyes. Bleh.

I also saw Symphony X one time, in a small venue, and they sounded spectacular .
15.05.2013 - 14:28
Jtbmetal123

Ive heard Dragonforce is like that. I havent seen anybody live thats really bad.
15.05.2013 - 20:44
Lit.
Account deleted
Cannibal Corpse is another to bring up. At Summer Slaughter, they were so dull! It felt like a full hour of the same song over and over again. They don't even do anything, too. They just stand there and play. Honestly, I think it was a massive mistake having Between the Buried and Me go before them, cause BtBaM blew them out of the freaking water.
17.05.2013 - 15:53
JorgonQ

Written by Vikcen on 14.05.2013 at 21:26

Written by erikwithafro81 on 01.08.2012 at 10:26

Written by Drahcir on 23.07.2012 at 04:58

Symphony X - Great in the studio, but boring live!

No idea what you're talking about amigo, Symphony X tear it up so good when they play live, and they're spot on to boot. Maybe you caught a bad show?

I've never seen Deicide put on a good show. Granted, I don't care for them whatsoever, but I at least know when a band puts on a good show regardless of how I feel about them. Also Leaves Eyes. Bleh.

I also saw Symphony X one time, in a small venue, and they sounded spectacular .

Maybe Symphony X awhile ago wasn't that hot live, I remember seeing them in Cleveland early 2000's and I kinda moved on. I then saw them with Iced Earth in Seattle for their Iconoclast world tour and they absolutely crushed that show. They had a good balance of slower songs like "Dehumanized" with faster tunes like "Eve of Seduction".

As a side note, Iced Earth had the gumption to play Dante's Inferno live, which was killer. Don't know how they made that work, but they did.
----
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
19.05.2013 - 22:56
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by JorgonQ on 17.05.2013 at 15:53

Maybe Symphony X awhile ago wasn't that hot live, I remember seeing them in Cleveland early 2000's and I kinda moved on. I then saw them with Iced Earth in Seattle for their Iconoclast world tour and they absolutely crushed that show. They had a good balance of slower songs like "Dehumanized" with faster tunes like "Eve of Seduction".

As a side note, Iced Earth had the gumption to play Dante's Inferno live, which was killer. Don't know how they made that work, but they did.

Yeah, also i saw them in the Iconoclast tour, one of the best concerts in my live. Well, the three last albums are the best in their career in my opinion, though they played the entire album of Iconoclast =) plus some song from the The Odyssey and Paradise Lost , here you can see the tracklist of this concert and some videos.
29.06.2016 - 20:46
Enteroctopus

Written by Guest on 15.05.2013 at 20:44

Cannibal Corpse is another to bring up. At Summer Slaughter, they were so dull! It felt like a full hour of the same song over and over again. They don't even do anything, too. They just stand there and play. Honestly, I think it was a massive mistake having Between the Buried and Me go before them, cause BtBaM blew them out of the freaking water.

CC is boring. How many times can your fill an album with songs like, "Impaled Through the Face" and "Boiled in Pigs' Urine," oh sorry that is giving them too much credit. What do you expect?
29.06.2016 - 21:08
SolemnBastion

Agalloch.. saw them 3 times.. more and more disastrous every time.. Worst of all was their massive fucking-it-up during the recording of their live dvd @ Biebob.
----
SOLEMN BASTION (distro) is an ADVOCATE of LEFT HAND PATH and OBSCURE art, based out of the Benelux.

https://solemnbastion.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Solemn-Bastion-448330452029415/
http://solemnbastion.tumblr.com/
30.06.2016 - 06:52
Metal Ninja

Whenever "Ozzy Osbourne" sings live (or tries) ,bloody awful! rather listen to "Sabbath" or his own solo band do a instrumental live show instead than hear that fucked up mess trying to warble all over it! ..unlike "RJD "& "Tony Martin" at least they nailed it live when in "Sabbath".

Mastadon also, musically excellent live but their vocals get very sloppy at times, Brann does well mostly when he does his parts but shit the other two is very hit & miss during their shows.
And Megadeth on recent past experiences are awful live too because of Dave's crap singing voice, rest of band were ok. But back in the early 90s when they had Marty & Menza they were solid live & Dave was not too bad on vocals either.
04.07.2016 - 23:37
ADIresiduos

Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 03:52

Rob Zombie, for sure! I'm not a big fan of his solo stuff but even when he was in White Zombie, the dude just loses his breath so quickly! He doesn't even sing half his set most of the time!

I agree with this one... I've never seen him live but I have seen some live videos from him and he does loses his breath! does he suffer from an illness or something? or maybe he just isn't that good as a live singer, considering that in the studio they can make x amounts of takes before reaching the good one.
04.07.2016 - 23:54
ADIresiduos

Draiman, he's off sometimes... Vince Neil, current Mustaine... back in the day he was good singing (gnarling) live.
David Lee Roth, Chester from Linkin, a little bit and Mike form the same band, although he raps, he doesn't sound so good live, kinda off... current Geof Tate sounds really bad live, same as current Stephen Pearcy... Randy Blythe tends to lose his notes.
Either they need some help from professional singing coaches or they just simply don't have it in them: to have the talent to be really good live singers.
08.07.2016 - 08:06
Lucid Fairytale

Written by SolemnBastion on 29.06.2016 at 21:08

Agalloch.. saw them 3 times.. more and more disastrous every time.. Worst of all was their massive fucking-it-up during the recording of their live dvd @ Biebob.

I saw Agalloch last year at Bloodstock and they were absolutely superb, although I will confess I am probably not as familiar with their material as most. But certainly had a stunner that day.

For me it would be Arch Enemy, although to be fair I haven't seen them with Alyssa yet. But certainly with Angela they lacked all intensity and heaviness live.