02. Cast In Stone
03. Desert Rain
04. Brainwashed
05. Disciples Of The Lie
06. When The Night Falls
07. Diary
08. Blessed Are You
09. Violate

I won't spend much words on this live album. Recorded during two live shows in Athens in 1998, it is simply the best live album I've ever heard: perfect sound, often heavier than in the studio albums themselves, clean and clear. You'll understand what being at a IE's concert mean. Raw power.

Barlow's voice is outstanding, this is the demonstration that he doesn't use any electronical devices for the recordings?.he simply sings like God. Schaffer is a metronome with his guitar and so are all the other band members who play with undoubtable precision and power.

In the european relase we have 31 of the best IE's songs in 3 cds... What more could you possibly need?! Some songs (in my opinion) sounds better in this live cd rather than in the original album.

I won't describe you the whole CD song by song, they're all perfectly played. Moreover, you can hear the crowd of Athens screaming "ICED EARTH!!! ICED EARTH!!!" and Matt presenting the names of the songs.

If you don't know Iced Earth, this will be a perfect start, with all their best songs - if you already know them, this album is anyway worth being owned... just to hear your favourite band play the 16 minutes of "Dante's Inferno" live without any mistake whatsoever and immediatly restart for another song without a minutes pause... Cocaine? No, they are just professional and talented musicians.

Written by | 18.09.2003

Comments

Comments: 11   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 119 users
15.11.2006 - 04:09
Rating: 10
iaberis
Advice Troll
Indeed a great album. The best live album I've ever heard.
But I've also heard that this is not actually a live album... it was recorded in a studio, that's why you listen the crowd only at the begining and the end of each track...
I don't know if this is just a rumor or a true deception...
----
Bitch! Please
15.11.2006 - 07:20
Eternal Flames

Simple but brilliant review. Definitely one of the best live albums ever and it really shows IE in their pure glory.

As for the rumour of it being recorded in the studio, I have never heard anything about that and I doubt it is true because they're releasing an Alive In Athens DVD soon too.
20.11.2006 - 20:59
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Eternal Flames on 15.11.2006 at 07:20

As for the rumour of it being recorded in the studio, I have never heard anything about that and I doubt it is true because they're releasing an Alive In Athens DVD soon too.

Yes, we'll see soon if the sound is indeed live when the DVD will be released...
----
Bitch! Please
22.11.2006 - 06:45
Eternal Flames

Yeah we will see. I'm not necessarily saying that it is not true, but I don't personally think it is true because you can hear some singing along at times. For example, on Slave To The Dark you can hear the crowd improvising along with the guitar after the first verse.

I mean, it could be true and it could not. I personally hope that it isn't, but we'll just have to wait and see.
09.12.2007 - 23:28
Glabrezu

No doubt. Best Live ever!!! They played all best songs better than in the cds.
They also played Dante's Inferno xD!
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
16.12.2007 - 16:37
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Wow, Ive heard this album just yesterday, and damn, isnt this some heavy shit?! Man, certainly one of the greatest live albums Ive heard ever, if not THE greatest!
----
16.12.2007 - 19:59
Valentin B
Iconoclast
absolutely flawless, i just can't see how anyone can go wrong with this album..
02.04.2008 - 04:10
IconMaiden

I was born when i listened to this album. i remember the first time i saw it in Greece when a friend gave it to me to listen. that was 6 years ago and since then only maiden has been more dear to me than iced earth.
02.04.2008 - 04:10
IconMaiden

In my opinion, this is the best ANYTHING ever released. I can't live without this.
13.04.2009 - 02:58
Lord_Regnier

Among the best live albums ever released. And Iced Earth's greatest work in all their career.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.07.2009 - 10:52
Icedburden

I agree with the review 100%. Only song I really wanted that isn't there is Reaping Stone. But I'll live.
----
Born Out Of Hate, Descending Upon The Earth

Hits total: 6604 | This month: 6