03. Quarantine
04. The Ills Of Modern Man
05. A Fractured Hand
06. Sheltered Reminiscence
07. Nameless
08. Tears Of The Blameless
09. Oval Shaped Incisions
10. Fainted Blue Ornaments

The now defunct Despised Icon was one of many bands that fell under the hated category of deathcore. The hate is not justified with this band, they produce new riffs and do not recycle their music over and over again, that being said I found this album to be average.

When I gave this album a spin I was happy, but not as happy as I thought I was going to be; it let me down in a few categories. The first would have to be the riffs, they were okay, but they seemed watered down and lackluster compared to older Despised Icon. The second were the vocals. Don't get me wrong, they have their moments, especially the pig squeals, but if you take these and compare them to older Despised Icon, old Despised Icon wins hands down. They have more effort put into them, and they come from the soul, while the vocals on this album just feel fake. The drumming on this album is good, it shines its brightest during the breakdowns, where blast beats and crashes reign supreme.

The overall reason why I didn't really enjoy this album, is that even being completely different from all other deathcore bands, their sound has gotten boring. Everything they have done on this album has been done on the previous ones. Minus the few good drum and vocal parts there is really nothing distinguishable in this album.

Overall, I was disappointed with this album; I wish they would have taken the time to write more original material.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 9

Written by Boxcar Willy | 05.02.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 24 users
21.07.2012 - 16:52
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This is supposed to be a review of their 2010 release... I have no idea why it's here.
It's a poor review anyway though, so it really doesn't matter ^^
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.07.2012 - 17:11
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Boxcar Willy on 21.07.2012 at 16:52
This is supposed to be a review of their 2010 release...

You mean "Day Of Mourning" (which is from 2009, not 2010)? I don't think it would be much of a problem to change it, just ask around.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.07.2015 - 20:51
Rating: 6
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Doesn't really match your personal vote

Hits total: 3394 | This month: 9