Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm's Favorite Album Art?

Have you ever taken a good look at some albums in your collection and thought to yourself "My God, if only this piece of shit album was half as good as the album artwork that covers it, it would be a solid 10/10." Pretty much anyone who owns Manowar's Anthology has surely thought that at some point or another.

The point being, it's time to give some props to the unsung heroes who create the album artwork of your favorite, and not-so-favorite albums. We want to know what Metal Storm, as a collective, considers the very best album artwork of all time.

Here's how it works:
Step 1: Go through your album collection, pick out your top 3 favorite album covers of all time, regardless of the quality of the music on the albums.
Step 2: Send a PM to Doc Godin here on Metal Storm with your 3 picks.
Step 3: Tune in on July 31st, and we will reveal the top 50 picks. You can then choose your top 3 favorites out of those 50, and we'll continue to whittle it down in that manner.

The deadline for Round 1 is July 30th.

The point? No point. Just for fun.

- The Metal Storm Team
Posted: 24.07.2012 by Doc G.

Comments page 5 / 6

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 158   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 666 users
29.07.2012 - 02:24

Account deleted
Written by Milena on 29.07.2012 at 02:15

This one's awesome.
29.07.2012 - 02:31
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Guest on 29.07.2012 at 02:24

This one's awesome.

It's hideously awesome.
----
7.0 means the album is good
29.07.2012 - 13:18
wrathchild
staff
Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 19:36

The key is, once you think you have enough detail and colour and planets and shit, ADD A FUCK LOAD MOAR.

I can't find Waldo
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
29.07.2012 - 13:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by wrathchild on 29.07.2012 at 13:18

I can't find Waldo

I think if you look closely he's standing on the massive planet in the sky.
29.07.2012 - 13:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 29.07.2012 at 02:15

I'll be voting for my mainstream faves when this gets filtered, but getting a few underdogs in:

Fursy Teyssier an underdog? He's probably odds on to win this along with Baizley.

Saying that, this is probably my favourite Fursy artwork:

29.07.2012 - 16:25
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Guest on 29.07.2012 at 13:23

Fursy Teyssier an underdog?

Based that on the fact that no one's posting any Les Discrets so far, though I've seen Alcest (that is, if that's him who did Alcest, and I think it is) Though, I really had no idea people liked him THAT much. Maybe I should just talk to people more
----
29.07.2012 - 20:21
PocketMetal
Written by Milena on 29.07.2012 at 16:25

Based that on the fact that no one's posting any Les Discrets so far, though I've seen Alcest (that is, if that's him who did Alcest, and I think it is) Though, I really had no idea people liked him THAT much. Maybe I should just talk to people more

I sent that Les Discrets' artwork as my second favorite after one of D:S:O's covers
also people need to look at Todtgelichter's last album , very nice artwork .
29.07.2012 - 23:12
MIXHELL
My choice:

30.07.2012 - 01:15
Zap
Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 19:36

I'll just bookmark this one in case there's a "Metal Storm's Least Favorite Album Art?"
Along with this atrocious... atrocity.
30.07.2012 - 01:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 30.07.2012 at 01:15

I'll just bookmark this one in case there's a "Metal Storm's Least Favorite Album Art?"
Along with this atrocious... atrocity.

AHH GET IT AWAY FROM MEEEE!
30.07.2012 - 02:35

Account deleted
^ this is horribad.
30.07.2012 - 05:39
Edmund Fogg
I went for simplicity and/or shiver/hypnotic factors.

----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
30.07.2012 - 05:47
VanHelsing
Pretty tough to pick only 3 albums...

I'll go with

Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man

Heathen - The Evolution of Chaos

Exodus - Exhibit B: The Human Condition

Honorable mention to:
Dezperadoz - The Legend And The Truth
Amorphis - Skyforger
Barren Earth - Curse of The Red River
In Mourning - Monolith
Death Angel - Relentless Retribution
----
-V
30.07.2012 - 06:09
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs
Shrinebuilder - Shrinebuilder
Agrypnie - 16[485]

With Pyramids' Pyramids being a strong fourth.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
30.07.2012 - 07:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Edmund Fogg on 30.07.2012 at 05:39

Woa woah... whjat is that? Because it looks amazing.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.07.2012 - 07:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Now that voting is pretty much in, my three picks.

endname - anthropomachy

cathedral - forest of equilibrium

godflesh - streetcleaner
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.07.2012 - 08:21
Edmund Fogg
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.07.2012 at 07:13

Funerary Call - Fragments of the Aethyr
An amazing album too.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
30.07.2012 - 08:47
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 01:02

I don't think it's that necessarily, I just think it would be nice if people put a bit of thought into what they were choosing instead of putting album arts from their favourite records. Obviously art is in the eye the beholder yada yada, but personally I think people have bloody awful taste in art. I mean that Sabbaton cover... seriously...

You realize how idiotic it is to say that other people have bad taste in art?

Everyones opinion is different and while I dont like all the artworks posted here, most are pretty good or at least interesting. Even the not-so-good ones I still can see the idea or message behind it and understand why that person might like that artwork.

That being said.. I really enjoy this piece you selected. Sometimes beauty is in simplicity..

Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 16:01

Somehow forgot about this one. The album is nothing special but the artwork is truly something else:

----
pewpew.. gotcha
30.07.2012 - 11:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by AngelofDeth on 30.07.2012 at 08:47

I don't think it's that necessarily, I just think it would be nice if people put a bit of thought into what they were choosing instead of putting album arts from their favourite records. Obviously art is in the eye the beholder yada yada, but personally I think people have bloody awful taste in art. I mean that Sabbaton cover... seriously...

No, not really... Everyone has the right to their opinion even if their opinion is about how the opinion of someone else sucks balls.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.07.2012 - 12:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by AngelofDeth on 30.07.2012 at 08:47

There's nothing idiotic about it. There's an awful pandemic in modern artwork and that is terrible, no-talent photoshopping. Artwork that requires no real artistic ability, only some skill with photoshop and the know-how to splice together a few images in a haphazard and collage-like manner. That to me is not "art."

Saying I dislike particular art is no different than saying that some people have awful taste in art, both opinions stem from the same source, just essentially worded a bit differently. It's my opinion that many people here have some dire taste in their choices. Was I attacking them because of it? No, I don't think. That would have been idiotic.
30.07.2012 - 12:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.07.2012 at 07:13

I agree, great artwork.
30.07.2012 - 12:20
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule

I agree. I think most people will choose their favourite albums and not base it on the art.
I doubt most people would have taken the time to find out who did the album art either.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
30.07.2012 - 12:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Spirit Molecule on 30.07.2012 at 12:20

I agree. I think most people will choose their favourite albums and not base it on the art.
I doubt most people would have taken the time to find out who did the album art either.

Unfortunately I think this is largely the case. Also, I think there's often a bit of a correlation between bad art and popular music, and more imaginative art and more esoteric and obscure music. Can't really prove that, but i find that the more aware the band are of their own unique and original approaches the better and more unique their artwork often is. You don't get shiny, photoshop disasters in the funeral doom sphere for example, whereas every single power metal album will have exactly that.
30.07.2012 - 12:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 30.07.2012 at 12:25

You don't get shiny, photoshop disasters in the funeral doom sphere for example,...

I am almost sure there must be some, especially with all the run of the mill funeral doom bands from Russia currently popping up
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.07.2012 - 12:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.07.2012 at 12:29

I am almost sure there must be some, especially with all the run of the mill funeral doom bands from Russia currently popping up

Hmm possibly a few. Certainly more tolerable than other genres though.

Actually funeral doom was a bad example. I'm not a fan of a lot of funeral doom artwork. Should have said sludge or something, sludge albums tend to have very good, hand drawn artwork.
30.07.2012 - 12:58
Uldreth
Didn't end up voting for them but these two were close ones:

30.07.2012 - 12:59
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
You're right about those being bad as art, Joe, but what about them being good as metal album covers? I don't know, I don't personally like any of these Nile/Obscura/power metal covers, but if you'd ask me what usually constitutes a metal album cover, I'd say blood, guts, "scary" creatures and monsters, machinery, occultism, all done in a very glossy, over-the-top way. Stuff that metalheads like wearing on their shirts, just because.

All that can be done in a classy, mature way, and some of these classy, mature covers were indeed posted, but I don't think any of the artists who did these "photoshop disasters" wanted to be classy and mature. They wanted to create stereotypical metal album covers, something you'd pick up and say "oh yeah, this is definitely a power/thrash/death metal album" (based on what's on the cover). Cliches were always a part of metal - the "metal" album cover is one of them, really. And that's what people like and what works for them.
----
30.07.2012 - 13:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 30.07.2012 at 12:59

You're right about those being bad as art, Joe, but what about them being good as metal album covers? I don't know, I don't personally like any of these Nile/Obscura/power metal covers, but if you'd ask me what usually constitutes a metal album cover, I'd say blood, guts, "scary" creatures and monsters, machinery, occultism, all done in a very glossy, over-the-top way. Stuff that metalheads like wearing on their shirts, just because.

All that can be done in a classy, mature way, and some of these classy, mature covers were indeed posted, but I don't think any of the artists who did these "photoshop disasters" wanted to be classy and mature. They wanted to create stereotypical metal album covers, something you'd pick up and say "oh yeah, this is definitely a power/thrash/death metal album" (based on what's on the cover). Cliches were always a part of metal - the "metal" album cover is one of them, really. And that's what people like and what works for them.

That album art type quite often represents the music if you ask me: fake, sterile, overly shiny and polished with no real creative talent =P As you say, generic metal-looking artwork for generic metal really. The roughage of metal unfortunately.

And yeah, I don't really like cliches either, but a cliche is slightly better when it's done well.
30.07.2012 - 13:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Uldreth on 30.07.2012 at 12:58

Didn't end up voting for them but these two were close ones:

Ugh... I fucking love that Catacombs artwork more than you could know. Great stuff, and great album.

The Darkthrone one is also very good indeed.
30.07.2012 - 13:34
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Milena on 30.07.2012 at 12:59

Well in that case CC would have the best album covers

Anyway what you say makes sense, certain genres have certain imagery and themes that go with it and these are usually part of the art.
At the end it's just personal choice, just like everything else.

I prefer the art from the sludge scene, I love the use of colour with some great illustration as compared to photoshop covers, though there are certain exceptions.
I'm just quite curious to see what are the top 50.

Anyway some nice digital art(nick keller) from the band beastwars

----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here

Hits total: 17422 | This month: 25