Metal Storm logo
Phantom notifications

‹‹ Back to Bugs
19.05.2006 - 01:17
KryptoN
imperceptible
I've seen it at least 3 times already, the indicator 1n shows in the upper bar and when I click it, there are no new notifications or messages or anything. So I wonder what this is about. As far as I know it's not an "old" notification caused by old cache.
25.05.2006 - 01:59
Deus Ex Machina

Yup,it happened to me today so i decided to check out here if it happened to anyone else.Well,i noticed while i was writing a post that it said i had 2 new messages,and when i posted i saw it said i had 3 new.When i opened it there was nothing,of course.
01.06.2006 - 05:38
Daru Jericho

Ah, so it's not only happening to me.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

01.06.2006 - 17:25
Legacy_Of_Kings
Account deleted
It has happend to me a while ago ;P
01.06.2006 - 21:58
Damnated
Churchburner
Yes, I noticed that, but I didn't gave it any atention.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
03.06.2006 - 10:53
TheKreator
Account deleted
) today when i logged in it showed me i had 41 notifications ...of course there were no new ones...
23.06.2006 - 02:36
Deus Ex Machina

It stopped happening for a while but i got another phantom notification today.And what i noticed is,if it happens,it always happens after i write a new post.Just as it gets posted i get an unexisting notification.It's probably not gonna bother me unless it starts happening as often as it did before.
23.06.2006 - 15:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Could it be that if someone quotes you, but then decides to edit the post and not quote you anymore, something like this happens?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.06.2006 - 10:38
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Lucas on 23.06.2006 at 15:13

Could it be that if someone quotes you, but then decides to edit the post and not quote you anymore, something like this happens?

No, as soon as someone quotes you, a notification is sent to you, and it won't be deleted by anyone except yourself.
24.06.2006 - 13:27
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Ok, thanks.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.07.2006 - 20:20
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Happened to me just then in a matter of 10 seconds after refreshing my page. Said that i had 5n and i had nothing there ... this was straight after i had said something in the Shout Box.

*EDIT* And again after i posted this post said i had 3n and still nothing.

*EDIT, again* Said i had 5n again and i didnt check it, i posted something and it went up to 6n ... then i clicked on FORUM and they all cleared by them selves. This hasnt happened to me before, and all this happened in the matter of 15 minutes.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
01.07.2006 - 21:38
KryptoN
imperceptible
I recently visited a review (for the first time) and on that page it said I had 144 notifications, all of them phantom of course, hehe.
07.07.2006 - 05:36
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Man, the weirdest things happen to you people on MS eh...I mean damn, so many people have claimed so many weird things have happened to them on MS over the years...this is another one of those 'wtf?' cases..are their glitches in certain browsers or something that make weird glitches happen in MS that I don't know of or what?
09.07.2006 - 23:01
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
just happened to me. it said i had 1 new PM and for notificiations but i didn't have either
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
10.07.2006 - 02:06
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by -tom- on 09.07.2006 at 23:01

just happened to me. it said i had 1 new PM and for notificiations but i didn't have either

I think I had exactly the same thing today. Maybe it's possible that the data gets sometimes mixed and it requests the page from a wrong profile where there are some notifications? Maybe it happens more often than we know because when it loads a page with no notification it goes unnoticed?

I don't know, just some random ideas...

And by the way, try this page: http://metalstorm.ee/pub/interview.php?interview_id=382&page=&message_id=
On that page I've got "[ 1pm, 6n ]" and it stays there even if I refresh the page, all of those are not actual messages in my profile. Does anyone else have the same problem?
10.07.2006 - 02:51
Stigmatized
Written by KryptoN on 10.07.2006 at 02:06

Written by -tom- on 09.07.2006 at 23:01

I think I had exactly the same thing today. Maybe it's possible that the data gets sometimes mixed and it requests the page from a wrong profile where there are some notifications? Maybe it happens more often than we know because when it loads a page with no notification it goes unnoticed?

I don't know, just some random ideas...

And by the way, try this page: http://metalstorm.ee/pub/interview.php?interview_id=382&page=&message_id=
On that page I've got "[ 1pm, 6n ]" and it stays there even if I refresh the page, all of those are not actual messages in my profile. Does anyone else have the same problem?

It's happening to me, same exact thing.
10.07.2006 - 17:44
Ivan
Retired Admin
OK, I tried something that might work. However, I can't test it myself, since I never had the problem with notifications. So, let me know if the problem is still there, and I'll try something different. Thanks!
10.07.2006 - 18:15
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Hmm, it seems like it isnt working, at least not for me. When I open the Tarja Turunen interview, I always get [ 1pm, 6n ]

So it also says I have a pm, but when going to the forum, its all gone.
10.07.2006 - 19:10
KryptoN
imperceptible
Yeah, the problem's still there, except now I've got [ 1pm, 7n ].

EDIT: And now it has [ 1pm, 8n ].
10.07.2006 - 20:04
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by KryptoN on 10.07.2006 at 19:10

Yeah, the problem's still there, except now I've got [ 1pm, 7n ].

Damned if I know what can be wrong there. The code is really simple and seemingly flawless...
Another difficulty - I can't see the result of my actions. If you're OK with it, could you please PM me your password, so I could login under your account and see what makes these phantom notifications appear? It would make things so much easier.
11.07.2006 - 03:42
Damnated
Churchburner
Same on this page: http://metalstorm.ee/pub/interview.php?interview_id=382&page=&message_id= I have 1pm and 11n. I'll PM you my pass.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
11.07.2006 - 09:55
Ivan
Retired Admin
Thanks a lot, guys! I managed to fix the problem - as usually, it was just a tiny stupid misspelling (= instead of ==). If you ever notice anything like this again, please let me know.
11.07.2006 - 10:56
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Thanks Ivan I didn't had the problem again
11.07.2006 - 11:27
KryptoN
imperceptible
Nice.
12.07.2006 - 01:08
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Yes I was having the same problem as well numerous times yesterday, but it's gone 100% as of now. Glad to see it was quickly found Ivan
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley