Metal Storm logo
Stargate

28.07.2012 - 14:10
Torelli

So is there anyone here that like the franchise?
28.07.2012 - 15:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Damn skippy. Definitely one of my favourite shows. Naturally I enjoy them slightly less with each series, though I did learn to enjoy Universe despite my initial reaction to it as being one of sheer boredom. I suspect I would like Atlantis a lot less if not for Dr. McKay, probably the best Stargate character (and generally one of my favourite actors, I particularly like the fact he pops up in most Vincenzo Natali films).
28.07.2012 - 15:41
Uldreth

I also like it.

I dunno anything about SGU bit I plan to watch it but I like the other two. Especially SG1's mid-series. The early parts were too underdeveloped (necessary for the series' development but not very enjoyable for me to watch after I watched once) and the last two seasons felt a bit... weird.

The Ori is too over-the-top and too much feels like a rushed attempt at finding another race of new and improved Goa'ulds. And I think they overdid ascension too. It was good in "Maternal Instinct" where it felt mysterious and interesting but when everyone and their mother is "ascending" and "descending" and whatever the fuck it feels like bad comedy. But it's a minor point.
28.07.2012 - 15:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Oh yeah, being a fan of Farscape helps immensely with the new replacement characters in the final few series of Stargate SG1
28.07.2012 - 16:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I like the ones with Richard Dean Anderson. That's pretty much the most in-depth analysis I can provide.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.07.2012 - 16:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.07.2012 at 16:08

I like the ones with Richard Dean Anderson. That's pretty much the most in-depth analysis I can provide.

Actually I'm pretty sure he pops up in every series at some point or another
28.07.2012 - 17:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 16:16
Actually I'm pretty sure he pops up in every series at some point or another

Oh, I thought he was just in that SG1 one or whatever. I think he was a part of that for like 6 or 7 seasons. I haven't watched a full one all the way through, but I've seen various episodes throughout and they all seem really interesting. Tons of back story.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.07.2012 - 17:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.07.2012 at 17:21

Oh, I thought he was just in that SG1 one or whatever. I think he was a part of that for like 6 or 7 seasons. I haven't watched a full one all the way through, but I've seen various episodes throughout and they all seem really interesting. Tons of back story.

Yeah I was just being facetious really, he's the main character for the majority of SG1 and then pops up infrequently in the other two as a guest basically.
28.07.2012 - 17:46
Malphas

Well, imo ofc the best is the original SG1 series, but i loved Atlantis too and i started watching SGU like a week ago, i'm at episode 5 of season 2 atm and i have to say i love SGU too so...all in all one of my favorite franchises
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
28.07.2012 - 21:22
Torelli

Stargate have more or less been sg-1 for me. i watched the original movie after the series ended. i think i should have done it the other way around, think i would have appricated the movie alot more though, lol. Seeing the re-runs of the serie cast things in a different light though, the postcolonial connections are some times a bit hard to digest : S

As for SG atlantis, there are some good episodes. I don't know, it didnt have the same charm as SG-1.

Have get to see SGU, is it any good?
28.07.2012 - 21:36

Account deleted
I've only seen the first two episodes some time ago. Used to love it.
28.07.2012 - 22:37
dougver1

Love SG1, and I enjoy a bit of Universe, although I have yet to sit down and watch all of it. Regardless, I definitely enjoyed what I saw of it.
29.07.2012 - 00:05
Uldreth

Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 15:49

Oh yeah, being a fan of Farscape helps immensely with the new replacement characters in the final few series of Stargate SG1

It's not really the replacement characters that bother me, although I miss O'neill (and Mitchell is just not a good enough replacement), Vala is a really good character that compensates for O'neill's loss so it's fine.

It's just the Ori overall makes it hard to suspend disbelief. I mean, you just defeated a race of advanced alien beings who pose as gods and wish to enslave everyone only to meet another race of aliens posing as more powerful "gods" wishing to enslave everyone.

This alone would not bother me but they are also kind of unmemorable, sure at first feels cool but they are kind of faceless and bland compared to Anubis or Ba'al (two best villains of SG imo).

But I still DO like s9-10, just not as much as s4-8.

Ps: I just came home from pub so execuse my typing mistakes