Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm's Favourite Album Art: Round 2!

Round 2 is here folks!

Before seeing the top 50 covers that made it into Round 2, let's explain how Round 3 is going to work; this time, you pick your top 4! The 4 you choose MUST be from the list below (the 50 most popular choices from Round 1). Round 3 will see this list of 50 drop down to 20. Be sure to check out as many of these as possible, you may have missed some awesome artwork!

Please message Doc Godin with your TOP 4 picks from Round 2.

Here is the list for Round 2:
Agalloch - Marrow Of The Spirit
Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea
Alcest - Écailles de lune
Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thundergod
Amorphis - Skyforger
The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls With Sand
Ayreon - The Universal Migrator Part 1: The Dream Sequencer
Be'Lakor - Stone's Reach
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond
Born Of Osiris - The Discovery
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Cormorant - Dwellings
Death - The Sound Of Perseverance
Diablo Swing Orchestra - The Butcher's Ballroom
Dissection - Storm Of The Lights Bane
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Gamma Ray - Land Of The Free: Part II
Godflesh - Streetcleaner
High On Fire - Death Is This Communion
Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
Iced Earth - Horror Show
Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Keep Of Kalessin - Reptilian
Kvelertak - Kvelertak
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées
Mastodon - Leviathan
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Obituary - Cause Of Death
Opeth - Heritage
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
Septicflesh - The Great Mass
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Solstafir - Svartir Sandar
Spawn Of Possession - Incurso
Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Vildhjarta - Måsstaden
Wintersun - Wintersun

The end of Round 2/Beginning of Round 3 will be on August 8th.
Posted: 31.07.2012 by Doc G.

Comments page 2 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 110   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 510 users
31.07.2012 - 17:20
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2012 at 17:12

But then again most art work here is of the modern photoshop variety

I don't mind people that use photoshop but photoshop album art tends to look really cheesy (Nile's latest for example). I'm surprised to see so much of it here.
31.07.2012 - 17:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 31.07.2012 at 17:20

I don't mind people that use photoshop but photoshop album art tends to look really cheesy (Nile's latest for example). I'm surprised to see so much of it here.

But then again most people who like that sort of art also like cheesy music and there are loads of people on MS who love cheesy music
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2012 - 17:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Personally I've always favored paintings, or at least if it's digital... something that looks like it was painted, not simply Shopped.

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.07.2012 - 17:43
Tiago Rocha
Dark Lighthouse
Oh my god this is a shitty list...
31.07.2012 - 20:08
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Dissection, Emperor, and Esoteric. They're good enough i guess....
31.07.2012 - 20:55
Jam4Lyfe
Account deleted
Def da best eva!!!!!

31.07.2012 - 21:04
metlfan
Only 1 of my choices made it but a couple that I had as alternates did but really surprised that no Cannibal Corpse covers made the list, especially Tomb of the Mutilated or Butchered at Birth becuase those were just awesome!
31.07.2012 - 21:09
strade
Written by Tiago Rocha on 31.07.2012 at 17:43

Oh my god this is a shitty list...

Well, this pretty much proves it's a popularity contest (as we already should have known). There were only a couple here I'd even consider putting in my top 10. T'was all expected, though, so no harm, no foul.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
31.07.2012 - 21:29
thewaytonever
Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power<----- Seriously? It's not even cover art for christ's sake its a god damn picture of a dude faking getting punched in the face. Stupid trendy bastards and your silly votes. On a brighter note how can you go wrong with Todd McFarland doing your cover art Iced Earth's the Dark Saga is a winner but I personally think that Night of the Stormrider was their best album art.
----
follow me on twitter @thewaytonever
http://www.last.fm/user/thewaytonever
31.07.2012 - 21:48
Icy
Account deleted
Three Opeth albums, Reptillan from Keep Of Kalessin and The Great Cold Distance beats Viva Emptiness... etc. I'm guessing many didn't even bother to spend more than two minutes figuring these out.
31.07.2012 - 21:52
?apleee
Mouthcrab
All three of mine made it, and I'm only surprised about Somewhere Far Beyond, I was expecting IFTOS or NFIME. I'm going to vote for different ones this time.

Written by BloodTears on 31.07.2012 at 12:11

Where's the love for Pain Of Salvation's Scarsick?

I considered it, but it's not THAT good, is it?
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
31.07.2012 - 21:59
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Kvelertak - Kvelertak

This was the only one of mine that made it
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.07.2012 - 21:59
Mattybu
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaame

starting my own album artwork contest, no wintersun/opeth/pantera cock straddlers allowed
31.07.2012 - 22:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Edmund Fogg on 31.07.2012 at 16:40

Hahaha!This is turning into mini-MS Awards. All that's left to do is sitback, grab a beer and enjoy the show.

it is pretty funny, really.

"everyone's taste sucks but mine."
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.07.2012 - 22:47
Dinruth
Nice 2 out three from my picks made it
31.07.2012 - 22:47
Ocean Sage
I like Black Sabbath's first album cover, both Mastodon ones, and High on Fire's Death is this Communion. It has Cthulhu on it!
31.07.2012 - 23:07
CHEF METALHEAD
KEEP IT METAL
I know it's to late but this is killer...

----
Chef Metal Head
31.07.2012 - 23:18
Got 2 of em.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
31.07.2012 - 23:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I would have thought The Human Equation or 01011001 would have topped the Ayreon artwork. Both are fantastic, but the voted one is pretty good too.
01.08.2012 - 00:36

Account deleted
Fuck. I cant choose only 4.
01.08.2012 - 00:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Alakazam on 31.07.2012 at 16:17

Number Of The Beast? Seems like a fucking Kerrang Poll.

Ouch! Keep in mind this is readers poll type thing. Popular vote will generally see these types of results.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.08.2012 - 00:58
theFIST
Written by Doc G. on 01.08.2012 at 00:39

Ouch! Keep in mind this is readers poll type thing. Popular vote will generally see these types of results.

that"s why the system chosen for this doesn"t work
sorry for not having given any input for that on time, but here"s how it coud work: include all nominations in list 1 (round 2) with the album covers
then people"d have the complete range to choose from, not just the typical write in candidates
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
01.08.2012 - 01:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by theFIST on 01.08.2012 at 00:58

sorry for not having given any input for that on time, but here"s how it coud work: include all nominations in list 1 (round 2) with the album covers
then people"d have the complete range to choose from, not just the typical write in candidates

how is it not working? just because you don't like the results?

how in hell could we possibly reasonably judge something like album art? limit it to Art History majors?

if we allow audience participation, the popular artists will always do better. it's the way it is here and everywhere.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.08.2012 - 01:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Posting all the nominations would have resulted in a list damn near 300 names long. Some people (most people) want to go about this casually, not spending tons of time sorting through a list in which the results will serve no actual purpose, but just be a fun observation. The amount of people that would just choose their own picks again would be almost 100%
----
- George Carlin
01.08.2012 - 01:17
theFIST
Written by BitterCOld on 01.08.2012 at 01:03

how is it not working? just because you don't like the results?

how in hell could we possibly reasonably judge something like album art? limit it to Art History majors?

if we allow audience participation, the popular artists will always do better. it's the way it is here and everywhere.

yes, but it"s the usual story of many simply submitting their favourite albums (many having the same favourite leading to the already popular albums getting into the top 50) which in combination with the 50 limit gives those people no chance to even look at the covers of less popular albums
if all nominated album covers got displayed in the round 2 list, that"d allow for people to look at and choose from all covers submitted, not just the already well known ones
of course some would still vote for their favourites without checking anyways, but if the 50 limit was just for entering round 3 good looking covers of less known albums would have a more serious chance of staying in the race until the end
it would be one round more to get through, but the results would be much more based on looks than on already likes
----
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
01.08.2012 - 01:24
theFIST
Written by Doc G. on 01.08.2012 at 01:11

Posting all the nominations would have resulted in a list damn near 300 names long. Some people (most people) want to go about this casually, not spending tons of time sorting through a list in which the results will serve no actual purpose, but just be a fun observation. The amount of people that would just choose their own picks again would be almost 100%

yes, the list would have been longer, but making the pictures accessible in he post instead of just writing the album names as text would allow longer lists to be looked at more casually than the short list requiring image searches

also, the long list would include many others than the common "their own" picks, while in the short list most of the others are already taken out

of course it doesn"t serve a purpose, but a big part of this site doesn"t to casual visitors
----
01.08.2012 - 01:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
It wouldn't make a lick of difference. the vast majority would vote for the same albums.

every year MS puts up 10 bands for a genre in the awards. every year a popular band fails to make our cut. every year people froth at the keyboard about how Megadeth/Kreator/Dimmu/Absu whatever should be in the awards. Every year that band gets more write-in votes than 3 or 4 of the lesser known bands we nominate. Combined.

it doesn't matter that we literally go out of our way to try and provide links to sites to explore nominees music.

it would be exactly the same here.
----

01.08.2012 - 01:29
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Went through all of them. At least 60% of these have awful or uninteresting artwork. With that said, I found two albums with some kickass artwork that I voted for in addition to the two that I had from last round that made it into this one.

Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
Vildhjarta - Måsstaden
Spawn Of Possession - Incurso
01.08.2012 - 01:33
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by theFIST on 01.08.2012 at 01:24

yes, the list would have been longer, but making the pictures accessible in he post instead of just writing the album names as text would allow longer lists to be looked at more casually than the short list requiring image searches

also, the long list would include many others than the common "their own" picks, while in the short list most of the others are already taken out

of course it doesn"t serve a purpose, but a big part of this site doesn"t to casual visitors

I'm sorry. Putting this together has already been fairly time consuming, I don't have endless hours to put into linking roughly 300 albums to there images for what might curb the voting slightly, which would then be rendered unnecessary by the time the next round is up. All that just for a fun little observation? Pass. I don't get paid to do this, and there is other shit to do around here.

Also, this:
Written by BitterCOld on 01.08.2012 at 01:26

It wouldn't make a lick of difference. the vast majority would vote for the same albums.
----
- George Carlin
01.08.2012 - 02:08
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Damm I have to individually look at all these??? some links woulda been nice... Well Ill get to this tomoro I guess.

But hey one of my top 3 made the list!
----
pewpew.. gotcha

Hits total: 8423 | This month: 11