Largest Disapointment:
Slayer - Christ Illusion

Top 5 currently of 2006 for me:
I - Between Two Worlds
Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium
Beyond Twilight - for the love of art and the making
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Kalmah - The Black Waltz

Edit: I added as to why I picked these choices, after wrathchild bugged me about it:

Personally, I felt that slayer could have done much better. I mean david lombardo came back, thats great. Every review I read about Christ Illusion they all mentioned how Supermist, Catalyst, Skeleton Christ stood out from the rest of the songs. As much as I agree with the reviews, I have to say that Lombardo's other project Grip Inc. has 3 songs that exactly sound the same as those 3 I just mentioned, to the T. I had a fight about this on the Slayer forums and when people noticed the similarities they were appauld by it. Don't ask me to mention the 3 Grip Inc. songs...its 1 AM right now, and i was drinking.

As for kalmah...its catchy...I can listen to it from beginning to end without getting bored. Same goes for I, both bands don't bore me even after I listen to it in my car for days upon days. That and kalmah finally moved away from the Children of Bodom copy-cat music, which I have to give them props and thats why they deserved to be mentioned. As for I, because as i said not boring, I like the tunes, its dark, yet catch music.

Beyond the Twilight - The reason I like it...is because well no particular reason, maybe its the fact that when I listen to it none stop, the music always shocks me, its so well constructed by lyrically and musicially that I always find something new with it.

Unexpect - Probably my pick as being the best album of the year, I dont get bored, its different, its catchy, but yet dark and sinnister at the same time, which is hard...I truely love the album.

I was gonna put Suffocation on that list, but this album is a grower, which doesn't make it #1 for me, its a great album but it just doesnt hit me...not until i actually listen to it a few times.

i obviously left a lot of bands out, NOISM, Cruachan, Ministry, Neuropathia, Pyorrhoea are all great bands that released an album in 2006, but they are tedious in a way that they will get boring and old after my 100th listen, and i listen to music constantly so everything gets boring after a while.
07.03.2007 - 05:35
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
For me top 5 bands for this year are
Amon Amarth
Slayer
Cannibal corpse
Deicide
Vader.
I can't remember others now... I chose these bands because their albums these year(I mean 2006) are quite good.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
07.03.2007 - 05:58
Sonic MrSumo

For mine, it would be:

Sacramant - Lamb of God
Blood Mountain - Mastodon
Come Clarity - In Flames

Biggest let down:

10,000 Days - Tool, it was good, but after waiting 5 years, and then comparing it to the amazing Lateralus, it just didn't do it for me.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
07.03.2007 - 17:20
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I was hoping that COF would do something better, but their Thornography was worst album ever.
----
11.03.2007 - 17:24
Anathemani@c

Written by Paganblood on 07.03.2007 at 17:20

I was hoping that COF would do something better, but their Thornography was worst album ever.

Indeed.. It was too bad alboum to be after Nymphetamine..
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
12.03.2007 - 11:54
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
@anathemani@c
Yes, Nymphetamine was already bad..thornography (what does it mean?) is worse.... there new album might be worst. after that... lets wait and see
----
28.03.2007 - 05:12
DeathFist
Account deleted
2007 there is only one

type o negative dead again it didnt bring what a type o negative album should
28.03.2007 - 09:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 28.03.2007 at 05:12

2007 there is only one

type o negative dead again it didnt bring what a type o negative album should

What? IMO Dead Again is the best Type O in years and years, just there after October Rust, okay nothing beats Slow, Deep And Hard, and of course Bloody Kisses, but then it's October Rust very closely followed by Dead Again
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.03.2007 - 11:32
Anathemani@c

Written by Paganblood on 12.03.2007 at 11:54

@anathemani@c
Yes, Nymphetamine was already bad..thornography (what does it mean?) is worse.... there new album might be worst. after that... lets wait and see

To tell the truth I like Nymphetamine. It's melodic and I find it really good.
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
28.03.2007 - 23:40
DeathFist
Account deleted
world coming down is type os best album
20.06.2007 - 03:49
Nazeef

Largest Disapointment: C.O.F

Top 5:
-Lamb of God - Sacrament
-Nile - Annihilation of the wicked
-Textures - DRawning Circles
-Into the Moat - The Design
-Angtoria - God has a plan for us all
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
20.06.2007 - 04:37
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Nazeef on 20.06.2007 at 03:49

Top 5:

hehe that was released in 2005 man.
20.06.2007 - 23:50
Nazeef

Written by Dangerboner on 20.06.2007 at 04:37

Written by Nazeef on 20.06.2007 at 03:49

Top 5:

hehe that was released in 2005 man.

Oh yeah dude!! You're right, but believe me I was wrong due to the fact that I've listened to this album for 2 years so that it looked like only the last one, it's about the sublimity of their work!! thanks for Info!!
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
21.06.2007 - 00:10
VPeter

My top 5 changes every time but I know wich is the biggest letdown for 2006:

Satyricon-Now, Diabolical
it's really disturbing how this cheesy piece of garbage won the award best black metal album of 2006 here.
Volcano was not a dissapiontment, ND is. It's just purely made for MTV and it's just boring lame "catchy"" evil rock and all the songs are the same.
23.06.2007 - 18:09
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
My biggest disappointment was Lacuna Coil's Karmacode, after four years off, they released a very average album...

Some of the highlights of 2006 for me...
Ihashn - The Adversary (I was so impressed by this album, Ihashn show his tallents with so many instraments, and as a clean singer, he is brilliant. The songwriting too was amazing.)

Edenbridge - The Grand Design (I really enjoy the more progresive sound to this album, it really suits the vocals better, and it suits the tallent of the band more. Amazing release.)

Demons & Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King (This was the best release of 2006 in terms of songwriting and just as a complete album... Jon Schaffer & Hansi Kursch really outdid themselves on this one)

My Dying Bride - A Line of Deathless Kings (At first this album seemed very stock and boring, but it is just one of those album which got better and better each time you hear it... there are some real classic MDB songs on this album.)

Tystnaden - The Sham of Perfection (This is the best debut album of the year by a long way, and probably one of the best in years. This album is so catch with very deathmetalish riffing, and angellic beautiful female vocals in contrast.)
23.06.2007 - 19:22
Basso
Account deleted
Written by VPeter on 21.06.2007 at 00:10

My top 5 changes every time but I know wich is the biggest letdown for 2006:

Satyricon-Now, Diabolical
it's really disturbing how this cheesy piece of garbage won the award best black metal album of 2006 here.
Volcano was not a dissapiontment, ND is. It's just purely made for MTV and it's just boring lame "catchy"" evil rock and all the songs are the same.

I can repeate that exact same sentence all day if needed...
01.07.2007 - 17:45
Abattoir

My top 5 list of albums for year 2006 is :
In Flames - Come Clarity
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
Catamenia - Location:COLD
Kalmah - The Black Waltz
Insomnium - Above The Weeping World
These are the best 5 albums...great albums and absolutely striking

The biggest let down i think that would be from COF - Thornography...nothing special, just trying to do something new but it didin't work out for me...
01.07.2007 - 18:59
Account deleted
Top 5:
Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion
I - Between Two Worlds

Biggest disappointment:
In Flames - Come Clarity
28.09.2007 - 02:23
Monster_616
Account deleted
Written by Paganblood on 07.03.2007 at 17:20

I agree, Im was really dissapointed. I didn't even buy if after hearing a few tracks, I have all the old albums though.
28.09.2007 - 20:15
Baz Anderson

it's amazing how different my "top albums of 2006" list would be now compared to how it was at the end of the actual year 2006
my number one album then probably wouldn't even be in the top ten now. haha
28.09.2007 - 23:00
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 28.09.2007 at 20:15

it's amazing how different my "top albums of 2006" list would be now compared to how it was at the end of the actual year 2006
my number one album then probably wouldn't even be in the top ten now. haha

That's exactly why I don't do "top albums" lists . It changes so quickly.

But usually, disappointments remain the same.. I'd say it was Satariel's EP "Chifra" and Draconian's "Burning Halo". Burning Halo is a very good piece of Doom Metal, but compared to Arcane Rain Fell, it's... disappointing.
03.11.2007 - 03:40
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Guttural Secrete's one and only release, titled "Reek of Pubescent Despoilment" came out in '06, and it blew me away! Brutal DM from Vegas with crazy-ass riffage. Everyone should check it out!

As far as things that disappointed me, I don't know where to start, so I just won't. Lol.
03.11.2007 - 12:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I keep on discovering stuff from 2006!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.11.2007 - 21:21
*ODEN*
Account deleted
for sure AMON AMARTH... nd deicide...Cannibal corpse...kaoteon...abigor...
19.11.2007 - 21:50
Scuzz
Account deleted
Trivium
A7X
As I Lay Dying
Killswitch Engage
Slipknot
19.11.2007 - 21:53
GT
Coffee!!
Written by Guest on 19.11.2007 at 21:50

Trivium
A7X
As I Lay Dying
Killswitch Engage
Slipknot

Are they disappointments or bands that stood out...you need to explain your posts
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
19.11.2007 - 22:01
Sunioj

Written by Guest on 19.11.2007 at 21:21

abigor...

Fractal Possession is released this year though , yes I also like that album. Unless it was another band you were talking about. (?)
14.12.2007 - 04:13
ArcanaHereticae

Top 5 (in no particular order) would definitely have to be:

Internal Suffering - Awakening of The Rebel
Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton
Spawn of Possession - Noctambulant
Suffocation - Suffocation

Biggest upset of 2006:

I would just have to say-
Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain, not because it was a horrible album, but because it was just my least favorite of the Agalloch albums.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
16.12.2007 - 05:53
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Kalmah - The Black Waltz

all three are great melodeath albums, with great, catchy melodies, wonderful guitar work, and brutal vocals, definately three of the best of 2006, for the toher 2, maybe later...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
11.07.2008 - 09:29
MortalTheory
Account deleted
In Flames - Come Clarity
Lamb of God - Sacrament
All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals
Tool - 10,000 Days
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings

that's my top 6.
worst dissapointment: Slayer - Christ Illusion.
22.08.2008 - 09:15
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 07.03.2007 at 05:58

For mine, it would be:

Sacramant - Lamb of God
Blood Mountain - Mastodon
Come Clarity - In Flames

Biggest let down:

10,000 Days - Tool, it was good, but after waiting 5 years, and then comparing it to the amazing Lateralus, it just didn't do it for me.

Sacrament Definitely made Lamb Of God stand out to me