04. Nightblade
05. Another Dimension
06. The Infinite
07. Desert Inferno
08. The Fort
09. Speedwarrior
10. Windcaller
11. Hangman's Noose

Is old-school revivalism still cool, guys? Old school revival thrash was a novel thing a few years ago, then got big, which usually makes it uncool, if I'm not mistaken. Well, fucked if I know what's cool anymore, or whether there's room in people's gullets for another old school style thrash band, but Razorwyre's Another Dimension is an album that just rips, pretty damn hard.

All movements, genres, and street cred points aside, Another Dimension is another album based off of aggressive riffing and incredibly catchy songwriting. It's an interesting album production-wise; it's definitely got that heaviness and riff clarity you've come to associate with modern metal releases, but with a certain "echoing" type sound (especially on the vocals), which gives it an old school, NWOBHM type feel. This album is essentially that ambiguous crossbreeding between thrash and NWOBHM played at top speed from start to finish. You could say it's a revivalist album with one foot planted in each generation.

The complaints about this are obvious - it's derivative, unoriginal, blah blah blah. While looking at song titles like "Fight Or Be Fucked" or "Speedwarrior", it's clear this band has a healthy sense of self-mocking humor. Considering how much fun Another Dimension is, trying to dock them points for being a bit derivative makes me feel like that arsehole who shows up at parties and starts correcting drunk peoples grammar. Everyone's having a blast, so sit down and shut the fuck up.

Minds may not be blown by Razorwyre's originality (or lack thereof), but I'll be damned if you don't have a shit ton of fun listening to Another Dimension

Written on 09.08.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 143 users
09.08.2012 - 22:40
UnknownCheese

Tranny loving kiwi metal. I like it.
09.08.2012 - 23:25
Void Eater
Account deleted
They used to be called Gaywyre. Heh. But yeah, this is exactly what a thrash resurgence band should be like. And old school revivalism will ALWAYS be cool.
10.08.2012 - 01:02
JÄY
Metal slave
Not released till September?
09.10.2012 - 10:13
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Sounds like Maiden-esque performing live in Rio especially spits in "Nightblade" and "The Infinite".

Hits total: 5649 | This month: 8