03. Equilibrium Obsolete
04. Home Invasion
05. Human Trafficking
06. Instincts Of Flesh
07. Memories Of Defilement
08. Psalm Of Impurity
09. Scriptures Of Foreign Tongues
10. Severing Humanity

If you're gonna play meat n' potatoes style death metal, play it the right way, play it the Deadly Remains way.

What makes Deadly Remains special is the great balance between crunching, grooving straightforward attack with just enough neck-breaking technical prowess violently shoved in there. Most of those generic death metal bands out there seem to take one of two paths; either the simplistic, probably going for a primal feel, but coming across as more lazy than anything, or the technically focused wankery, which loses any feeling of brutal intensity as the music feels more like some type of audio math equation than music. Cannibal Corpse is one of the few bands that has this similar balancing approach without having to resort to the infusion of melody to make the music recognizable. Deadly Remains certainly feels more raw and brutal than Cannibal Corpse for sure, but it hits many similar spots.

Severing Humanity - despite being a well-balanced album - still feels like it's two steps away from having something truly solid going on. This is just a debut, so maybe the band is still sculpting their sound, but you get that sense that the album could be so much more. The guys from Deadly Remains are talented, and by talented I mean beyond being able to wank really fast on their instruments, but there still is a large amount of unremarkable pieces throughout this album.

Psychotic, brutal, and quite a bit of fun. Severing Humanity is a death metal album for those who want nothing more than to sink their teeth into some crunchy, no bullshit death metal. Great for some, leaves a lot to be desired for others.

Written on 09.08.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 134 users
10.08.2012 - 03:53
Crucifux
Account deleted
I thought this was their sophomore album.
10.08.2012 - 10:04
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 10.08.2012 at 03:53

I thought this was their sophomore album.

The press release says debut. Perhaps MA made a mistake and has an EP listed as a full-length?

The press release reads as follows:
Quote:
One of the best new American death metal bands, California's Deadly Remains truly crushes all in its path. The band's debut album, "Severing Humanity," is an impressive display of pure, brute force.

This says debut as well.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.08.2012 - 18:48
thefallenalchmst

I still think the band has a way to go, but it's not terrible. I still think the latest album from Offending is leaps and bounds better. But that's just me.
----
www.thegrimtower.com (updated ftequently with reviews and interviews!)

www.torii.bandcamp.com (black/doom/death)
10.08.2012 - 21:09
Rating: 9
Misfit74

This is their 2nd album, though they played death/thrash on their first release: Before The Nothing (2010).

As for this album it's one of my favorite albums in the genre. One of the best of 2012 and one of the best BDM releases I've heard so far. I absolutely love it.

This is what I had to say about it in my little blurb on RYM:

Fantastic album in the vein of Pathology, Dying Fetus, Defeated Sanity, Cannibal Corpse, Severe Torture, and Abnormality with some Abominable Putridity sprinkled in. What you get here is energetic brutal riffing enhanced by filthy chord-work that doesn't deviate too far from what makes BDM good. However, the band adds a slew of disgusting sounding chords that really brings the otherwise formulaic but very high quality BDM sound up a few levels. There are not a ton of slams or breakdowns - very few if any, really. The vocals are a component of the music - the don't get in the way. The vocals are actually very similar to those of Pathology. The bass-work stands out in a good way. This album really hits the mark for me and I keep listening over and over. One of my favorite BDM albums to date, in part because it has no real faults but also brings the standard BDM fare up several notches in terms of creativity and sound/production above and beyond what you would expect from more typical bands in the genre. A great find and really worth checking out.
10.08.2012 - 22:45
Crucifux
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 10.08.2012 at 10:04

The press release says debut. Perhaps MA made a mistake and has an EP listed as a full-length?

The press release reads as follows:
Quote:
One of the best new American death metal bands, California's Deadly Remains truly crushes all in its path. The band's debut album, "Severing Humanity," is an impressive display of pure, brute force.

This says debut as well.

That's strange, cause the label has their first release too and also lists it as a debut. Though it has it pegged as an EP/MCD of sorts, which could explain why they're both labeled that way.
I really don't think it's an EP though, 'cause according to MA Before The Nothing is longer than Severed Humanity.
11.08.2012 - 02:38
Sync
Account deleted
Quote:
meat n' potatoes

You have my attention.
05.05.2014 - 04:52
Rating: 9
Misfit74

This ended up being my #1 album of 2012.

Hits total: 4841 | This month: 4