Metal Storm logo
Grindcore vs hardcore

Original post

Posted by vgmaster9, 11.08.2012 - 01:21
Both grindcore and hardcore mix elements of punk and extreme metal, the former including bands like Napalm Death, the latter including bands like Hatebreed. Which genre do you prefer?

Poll

Grindcore or hardcore?

Grindcore
Hardcore
Both
Neither

Total votes: 45
14.08.2012 - 07:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.08.2012 at 05:32

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.08.2012 at 04:17
And like Craig said hardcore actually is way more extreme.

I might have misinterpreted what he said, but I think he meant hardcore is more extreme than melodic metal (a la power metal, prog, etc.) not that hardcore is more extreme than grindcore.

In any case, I'd argue against it anyway. Grindcore is clearly a more extreme genre, kind of like how brutal death metal is more extreme than traditional death metal, or how funeral doom is more extreme than traditional doom. It may be an offshoot of an original genre but that doesn't make it any less extreme.

yeah, i was comparing Hard Core/Hard Core Punk against the bulk of what sits in the Melodic section of the forum.

and at the time it originated it was the extreme in music, much the way that grindcore upped the ante.

i still find it hilarious people are dismissive of it simply because the way extreme music has continually tried to push boundaries... although from my perspective it hasn't really changed much over the last 20 years. i think the jump from radio to Punk/Hard Core and the jump from that to Grind/Death/Black by the early 90s was far more significant than any since.

sure the acts now are more extreme variants, but nothing hit me like the first time i heard Suicidal in '85 or the first time i heard Napalm Death in '91. those completely etcha-sketched my views on what was extreme music. after that it's sort of a matter of swell variations or boring derivations.

having listened through early versions of both, it all falls back to that "experience/age" thing that shows up on other threads. witnessing it from A->B->C->D gives a completely different perspective and appreciation from jumping in at point D and checking out the rest in the rearview mirror.

and unless metal somehow manages to change in some drastic and new direction, it's one our "younger" (in metal years) contributors won't experience.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.08.2012 - 15:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 14.08.2012 at 07:29
and unless metal somehow manages to change in some drastic and new direction, it's one our "younger" (in metal years) contributors won't experience.

I definitely agree with that, especially as one of the younger listeners. The only "regret" I have (if you can call it that) is that I wasn't around for Metallica's debut - the extremity in music wasn't new to me at that point. By the time I was listening to old school death metal I'd already been exposed to a lot of modern extreme stuff, so it didn't have that same magic. Much in the same way as those who, say, listen to grindcore first, and then decide to check out a few hardcore bands. They'll likely end up feeling as though hardcore is some light, watered down radio music or something, whereas older folks who grew up with hardcore as the primary extreme before listening to grindcore later will still be able to appreciate what hardcore did in terms of pushing the envelope of extremity before leading the way for grindcore bands.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.08.2012 - 15:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.08.2012 at 06:35
...it doesn't shock...

If we're calling extreme music extreme based on shock value, it's safe to say extreme metal doesn't even exist for me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.08.2012 - 17:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Re-reading my ramblings I have no clue as to what I was trying to get across.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.08.2012 - 19:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.08.2012 at 17:19

you were just channeling your inner CyniK7.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.08.2012 - 19:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 14.08.2012 at 19:41

That must be it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.08.2012 - 19:46
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by BitterCOld on 14.08.2012 at 19:41

Excuse me Oldbutt! Did you mock my name or something? (:
15.08.2012 - 16:07
helofloki
Grindcore is pretty amazing in every way. The shitty grindcore is hilarious especially if you like a good gimmick, and the cream, Pig Destroyer, Nasum, T.O.O.H., Cephalic Carnage et cetera is extraordinary absolutely powerful music. One of my favorite genres in general.

Hardcore, well I definitely like hardcore. Some of it is really bad and the scene surrounding it tends to be wicked annoying, but the good bands are great. I especially like the early hardcore punk scene like Minor Threat and Bad Brains but bands like Converge and Terror rock me pretty good too.

Still, I voted grindcore because I just love it. What an amazingly strange genre.
15.08.2012 - 22:15
DeadHeadPunk
Account deleted
If the hardcore on this topic is the hardcore punk that started in the 80s then i would say that. Although i do like grindcore there are alot more hardcore punk bands that i like than there are grindcore. But if its the "hardcore" that people listen to today then i would have to say grindcore.