03. Strigoi
04. A Note To Say Farewell
05. Depths Of A Sick Mind
06. Those Who Don't Return
07. Performed In Graphic Pain
08. Totem Of A Pagan Thought
09. Yet I Breathe
10. Departure

As I've probably gone over in countless reviews before, there's some genres that are typically just a little more difficult to get into. Funeral doom, for one. Yet, there are certain bands which seem to defy laws of accessibility while still keeping the integrity of the music they play in tact. In the case of funeral doom, Ahab is probably the most well-known example, now we can add Eye Of Solitude to that list.

When dealing with genres that put a not inconsiderable amount of emphasis on ambiance, it's really not uncommon to sift through dozens upon dozens of horribly contrived crap. Pointless creations born of pretentiousness it seems a lot of them are. In fact, it really seems playing "subtle", ambient, down-tempo music has become an acceptable cover-up for lack of talent amongst aspiring musicians. Now an album like Sui Caedere comes out, and those lazy asswipes who compensate lack of songwriting ability with faux-musical intellectualism just got their dicks shrunk. Significantly.

The layout is fairly simple; some crunchy death metal overtones played at glacial speed with a layer of symphonic keys underneath, with the main attraction - that being dark, sorrowful melodic guitar leads - riding along on top. It's simple, and from the description probably sounds pretty familiar, and it really is, it's just executed in a very impressive manner. Sui Caedere is as heavy as it is menacingly haunting, and instantly memorable as it is subtly detailed.

The sound - the production - is a bit too in-your-face at times. While certainly not atrocious production by any measure, and definitely not something that's noticeable upon first listen, but Eye Of Solitude would have been smart to try and add a little more depth here; you know, spacing the various layers a little further apart to give it more of that cavernous feel. It sounds incredibly petty to have that as the main complaint, but hearing an album as solid as Sui Caedere, you can't help but start imagining ways it could be just that much better.

In short, Eye Of Solitude are 100% great songwriting, riffs and ambiance with none of the snobbery.

Written on 13.08.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 261 users
13.08.2012 - 14:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
An immensely enjoyable album. Wonder if they can pull it off live. Well, will see in November in London
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.08.2012 - 14:30
Merchant of Doom

Only that Eye of Solitude are not funeral doom... death/doom with some funeral influences. See their Facebook page, for example:

http://www.facebook.com/eyeofsolitudeband?sk=info

I agree with the production. Could be a lot better, especially after their first album The Ghost was also marred by the same problem.
13.08.2012 - 16:03
Draugen

I listened to the first few songs on Bandcamp and I really like the sound of it (aside from the in-your-face production). Good stuff.
13.08.2012 - 16:22
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
@MoD

Really? I mean REALLY?

I'm pretty sure he wrote right in the review that it was death metal played at a glacial pace. He'd rather write Funeral simply because it takes less effort than death/doom with funeral influences. I'm not usually one to nitpick at genres, but come-the-fuck-on.

/rant

This sounds like something I'd like a lot, TO GOOGLE!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.08.2012 - 17:09
Kuroboshi

I don't see any point in getting so upset Box.

Great review. Although I'm not very fond of funeral doom, I might try this one out! I only listen to Ahab and Shape of Despair of said genre.
13.08.2012 - 18:13
Merchant of Doom

Written by Boxcar Willy on 13.08.2012 at 16:22

@MoD

Really? I mean REALLY?

I'm pretty sure he wrote right in the review that it was death metal played at a glacial pace. He'd rather write Funeral simply because it takes less effort than death/doom with funeral influences. I'm not usually one to nitpick at genres, but come-the-fuck-on.

/rant

This sounds like something I'd like a lot, TO GOOGLE!

mmm... is that why he mentions funeral doom 2 times just in the first paragraph? I'm not being pedantic, it's matter of describing the music in an accurate way. Death/doom with funeral influences is completely different from straight Funeral Doom.
14.08.2012 - 01:39
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Yup. I intentionally used funeral doom. No mistake, not for the sake of brevity. Intentionally used. Lets all calm the fuck down.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.08.2012 - 02:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
WHAT?! This isn't the exact correct description of the band's sound? OMFG QUIT WRITING YOU AMATEUR.

Oh, sorry. A little too late to the party. I suppose the only relevant comment I can make now is that I'll work on giving this a listen at some point soon, although doom in general hasn't been so kind to me recently.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.08.2012 - 09:59
Merchant of Doom

Written by Doc G. on 14.08.2012 at 01:39

Yup. I intentionally used funeral doom. No mistake, not for the sake of brevity. Intentionally used. Lets all calm the fuck down.

Personally, I'm very calm... It's just for the sake of clarity. You can call it what you like, obviously. The review is, in fact, spot on, apart that little detail.
14.08.2012 - 12:34
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Merchant of Doom on 14.08.2012 at 09:59

apart that little detail.

That's really up for debate.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.08.2012 - 12:58
Merchant of Doom

Written by Doc G. on 14.08.2012 at 12:34

Written by Merchant of Doom on 14.08.2012 at 09:59

apart that little detail.

That's really up for debate.

we don't have to debate it. For you it's funeral doom (or thereabout), for me it's not. I mentioned it for completeness, not to annoy anybody.
14.08.2012 - 13:31
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Merchant of Doom on 14.08.2012 at 12:58

we don't have to debate it. For you it's funeral doom (or thereabout), for me it's not. I mentioned it for completeness, not to annoy anybody.

I think you need to understand that your opinion isn't any more valid than anyone else's.

No, you don't understand it yet. You come across as deaf and blind to others' opinions about genres.
14.08.2012 - 14:41
Merchant of Doom

Written by Daniell on 14.08.2012 at 13:31

I think you need to understand that your opinion isn't any more valid than anyone else's.

No, you don't understand it yet. You come across as deaf and blind to others' opinions about genres.

Where did I say that my opinion is more important? I only stated that, to me, it's not Funeral Doom. Please, try and read the posts properly before jumping in, talking nonsense.
14.08.2012 - 14:50
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Daniell on 14.08.2012 at 13:31

You come across as deaf and blind to others' opinions about genres.

The bit you quoted would suggest otherwise to me, he seems to be acknowledging Doc's opinion, irregardless of how incorrect he thinks it is.
14.08.2012 - 16:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
MoD is somewhat of an avatar for personalising genres with little regard to consensus (something I learned from my Monolithe review as well as some amusing issues relating to traditional doom and its validity as a doom genre). There's no reason for anyone to get annoyed with someone like that really. Tolerance and perhaps a bit of self assurance is all that's needed.
14.08.2012 - 20:35
Daniell
_爱情_
Exactly Joe I'm not annoyed at all by the way, I'm just stating my opinion
15.08.2012 - 00:39
Merchant of Doom

Written by Guest on 14.08.2012 at 16:31

MoD is somewhat of an avatar for personalising genres with little regard to consensus (something I learned from my Monolithe review as well as some amusing issues relating to traditional doom and its validity as a doom genre). There's no reason for anyone to get annoyed with someone like that really. Tolerance and perhaps a bit of self assurance is all that's needed.

I think tolerance works both ways, don't you think? I'm glad you find my opinions amusing. If you are trying to put me off from posting here ever again, you are doing a good job...
15.08.2012 - 00:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Merchant of Doom on 15.08.2012 at 00:39

I think tolerance works both ways, don't you think? I'm glad you find my opinions amusing.

Who wouldn't find "apocalyptic progressive doom metal(ish)" amusing
15.08.2012 - 00:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Merchant of Doom on 15.08.2012 at 00:39
If you are trying to put me off from posting here ever again, you are doing a good job...

Besides more serious acts of Internet Bullying I never really understood how someone could leave simply because one or two dudes try to put him/her off... and in this case it was clear that Daniell didn't really read your posts since even though I disagree with you on a whole bunch of things I don't actually recall you saying that your opinion is more valid than mine.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.08.2012 - 12:40
Merchant of Doom

You keep bringing up the same old stuff, which is rather boring and childish. Feel free to think this is funeral doom, misinforming your readers. It's your website and your editorial policy, after all. Good luck with it.
15.08.2012 - 13:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Feel free to keep running doom-metal.com with a tenuous understanding and revisionist mentality toward doom my Italian chum
15.08.2012 - 14:16
Merchant of Doom

Written by Guest on 15.08.2012 at 13:14

Feel free to keep running doom-metal.com with a tenuous understanding and revisionist mentality toward doom my Italian chum

You just keep pleasing your adoring 15 year old fanboys...
15.08.2012 - 14:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Merchant of Doom on 15.08.2012 at 14:16

I have no idea what this means, and I suspect you don't either
15.08.2012 - 15:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 15.08.2012 at 14:18

Written by Merchant of Doom on 15.08.2012 at 14:16

I have no idea what this means, and I suspect you don't either

He's obviously refering to me, bb <3

http://kaotoxinrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sui-caedere

on a related note, here's the album in all its glory.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.08.2012 - 17:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.08.2012 at 15:54

Probably

Listened to a few tracks, it sounds a little on the unoriginal and generic side for my tastes m'afraid.
15.08.2012 - 17:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 15.08.2012 at 17:04

Probably

Listened to a few tracks, it sounds a little on the unoriginal and generic side for my tastes m'afraid.

I thought it was pretty good, vocals reminded me of Esoteric in places.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.08.2012 - 17:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 15.08.2012 at 17:04

Probably

then try and explain to me why you thiink Witchsorrow is good? Might as well dismiss them then as well
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.08.2012 - 17:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.08.2012 at 17:18

I thought it was pretty good, vocals reminded me of Esoteric in places.

It's definitely solid stuff but not really something I can get excited about.
15.08.2012 - 17:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.08.2012 at 17:20

then try and explain to me why you thiink Witchsorrow is good? Might as well dismiss them then as well

Please point me to more Cathedral clones then? Eye of Solitude is very dime-a-dozen funeral doom/death whereas Witchsorrow is essentially carrying on from Forest of Equilibrium. I don't know any other bands with that specific a sound

Anyway I would agree that Witchsorrow are indeed derivative and would never rate them in a review such as this more than a 7.5. I just happen to like it more on a personal level
25.08.2012 - 02:05
thefallenalchmst

Hey guys, the band considers the music to be "evil metal" but the label Kaotoxin says that it's funeral doom. That's from the promo sheet.

I tried to get into the album but just couldn't. I think I'd rather listen to doom like Akem Manah. Their 2010 record was much more interesting than this. I gave it a 6. I'm sorry, I just couldn't get into it. But if you like it as this gentleman apparently did, then go check it out. Alot of work was put into it regardless, so don't let that effort go unheard.

www.thegrimtower.blogspot.com (updating monday)
----
www.thegrimtower.com (updated ftequently with reviews and interviews!)

www.torii.bandcamp.com (black/doom/death)

Hits total: 7942 | This month: 18