05. Morndraper
06. Cinders Veil
07. Spit Forth From Failure
08. Final State Part III

Staff review by
Sephiroth
Rating:
The usual Swedish Death Metal band? No.
With their third album Umoored show us how to play following a genre without being repetitive or copycats.
Obviously infuenced by the swedish melodic death (mainly Hypocrisy), Unmoored mix melody with a strong amount of brutality, with vocals ranging from the "almost black" screaming to the classic growl but also some melodic (Opeth-flavoured) clean vocals lines.
Perfectly produced (Tagtgren is everywhere?I wonder: does he sleep sometimes?), and technically exemplary, the album sound is compact, powerful- but not too much crisp and boombastic, in order to keep the right harsh but dark atmosphere- and it ranges well from a good melodic death riffing to some heavy "floridian" thrashy passages, even if the best moments are just when they reaserch more the melodic complexity and the time changing (Leave-Taking , Cinders Veil and Spit Forth The Failure are the highlights)- breaking the pounding Death rhythmics with slower clean vocals parts - rather than other episodes like the isolated Morndraper, when they try to follow a more brutal and heavy approach, that frankly is less original and catchy.
As a "surprise" the album is closed by Final State Part III a pleasant semi-ballad, with clean vocals only, good ending for an album continously searching for the variation.
So, what about it? I don't find anything wrong in this album, but I cannot say that is a masterpiece. It's just a step under the perfection, I don't know why, but that's the feeling I have.
Anyway, my opinion on it grow better as much as I listen this album.
But, if you like this kind of death metal this album is more than recomended, nothing of incredibly innovative, but an excellent album in the overcrowded swedish death scene, an album that grasps somehting that others miss and a band that will surely be capable to impose itself it the phantheon of the Swedish Death.
published 27.09.2003 | Comments (0)

Staff review by
Undercraft
Rating:
Bands don't do much effort lately on their logos, just entangled and undecipherable letters with the typical pentagram, the inverted cross and other "evil" icons. Unmoored really thought this through and came up with a great logo, readable and symmetric, just the way I like it. Also they thought very well about their cover art, very "artsy" , until now the album is cliché free, but the music is what matters, so let's take a hear to this Swedish Death Metal combo.

Read more ››
published 06.08.2004 | Comments (0)

Found in 4 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 127 users
14.08.2012 - 22:38
Rating: 9
Starchild

Christian Alvestam is genius. Awesome album!
11.06.2023 - 06:05
Rating: 10
Pablo

Written by Starchild on 14.08.2012 at 22:38

Christian Alvestam is genius. Awesome album!

Totally agree... This album is one of the highlights in his prolific career.

Hits total: 6708 | This month: 13