Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm's Favourite Album Art: Round 4!

300, then 50, then 20. Now 10. We're drawing ever closer to figuring out Metal Storm's collective favorite album artwork!

We've changed the voting scheme around every round so far, how is this one going to work? Well, it's going to be a lot like last round, but instead it's going to be 5 and 5. 5 you like/are ok with/find least reprehensible, and 5 you want to see gone. 5 thumbs up, 5 thumbs down.

In order to have your votes counted, you MUST choose both 5 thumbs down, and 5 thumbs up. If you can only find 1 or 2 you'd give a thumbs up to, then fill out the remainder with the ones you find least ugly.

Here is the top 10:
Alcest - Ecailles de Lune
Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thundergod
Amorphis - Skyforger
Cormorant - Dwellings
Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées
Mastodon - Leviathan
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
Vildhjarta - Måsstaden

Tune in on August 22nd for Round 5 when we reveal the final 3!

Remember, only picks PM'd to Doc Godin will be counted.
Posted: 16.08.2012 by Doc Godin

Comments page 7 / 7

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 196   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 519 users
21.08.2012 - 23:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Uldreth on 21.08.2012 at 22:44
Edit: The website confuses me though, can't seem to find it there :<

You gotta go all the way to the right side of the website (Use the scroll wheel). A book will appear.

Written by Doc G. on 21.08.2012 at 22:18
Reading is fun.

My mock-level are quite low atm so I didn't feel like writing something witty.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.08.2012 - 11:22
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Hahaha, you say that voting for the artwork to Born Again by Black Sabbath takes balls. Okay.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
22.08.2012 - 13:15
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I actually voted for Vildhjarta and Leviathan based on the extended art. Vildhjarta has some crazy art for their site, which I guess makes it to the album inlay and booklet.

I think I am biased towards bands that have good artwork.

Also I don't really get what testdrug is going on about. I mean its an awards list, I'm sure over half the votes are people voting for their favourite band, no matter how good or bad the artwork is. But considering that Vildhjarta and Alcest made it this far to the list, I'm sure that a lot of people voted based on the artwork and not just the bands popularity as well.

At the end, it's quite stupid if you give too much importance to the results of these kind of awards. Say that Vildhjarta wins this, does that make any other of your favourite artwork less pleasing to the eye?
No matter who wins this, my favourite artist are still going to remain the same, just that now, I've learnt of Rickard Westman (guy who did Vildhjarta if you didn't know) and Fursy Teyssier(Alcest and Les Discrets)

I've always stated this about awards, no matter if it's for the music or art, at the end, it doesn't change what your opinions are, it just gives you what you would have missed.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
22.08.2012 - 13:33
IronAngel

Man, that Cormorant is cool. I imagine Leviathan will win, considering how simple and effective it is. I voted for Vildhjarta too, but it's considerably less focused.

That Amorphis cover looks just awful and amateurish. Surprising to see it make it so far.
22.08.2012 - 15:38
Uldreth

And to answer that post, I don't think the Immortal cover is bad at all, in fact I do tend to like Necrolord covers BUT it is generic and overdone because every fucking black metal band under the sun does it and Immortal was nowhere near the first. And there is really nothing special about it to stand out or anything.

If anything, In The Nightside Eclipse should be here instead of that, as not only do I think it is much better, I think at the time, this type of cover wasn't that overdone as it is now.
I don't think the Opeth or STS covers are that special either but they both look really pretty and both bands definitely added their own touch to it, still they don't come anything close to the Alcest/Les Discrets/Cormorant/Vildhjarta level of awesomeness.
And that Black Sabbath artwork is not overdone or generic at all, it's just ugly as hell
22.08.2012 - 15:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The more I see the Black Sabbath one the more I like it.
22.08.2012 - 17:46
Metalex

Mastodon leviathan all the way!
22.08.2012 - 21:58
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
If we show the full Cormorant art (which is still my favorite on the list), i might as well put this here.

22.08.2012 - 23:59
afu

Hey. It's the 22nd. Where's Round 5? This is important internetz stuff, here.
23.08.2012 - 04:03
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 20:40

Very nice artwork. Great colours and love the fact it's a thousand miles away from modern day photoshopping.

Nice Joe. Dunno when this cover was painted but I know the album was released in 1986, and it's a PROG METAL BAND at that! Who says you're biased?
----
rekt
23.08.2012 - 04:05
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Unhealer on 21.08.2012 at 15:59

You can see it better on their website http://www.vildhjarta.com/masstaden/

Wow, cool shit. I would say out of the 10 covers left, this is the best.
----
rekt
23.08.2012 - 13:16
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
We demand round 5!!!
I'm at work, I need something to do
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
23.08.2012 - 16:32
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by tea[m]ster on 23.08.2012 at 04:03

Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 20:40

Very nice artwork. Great colours and love the fact it's a thousand miles away from modern day photoshopping.

Nice Joe. Dunno when this cover was painted but I know the album was released in 1986, and it's a PROG METAL BAND at that! Who says you're biased?

I was waiting for you to bring that cover up
----
7.0 means the album is good
24.08.2012 - 00:38
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Milena on 23.08.2012 at 16:32

I was waiting for you to bring that cover up

Oh, you like that one too? I have almost 900 albums in my collection, but quick going through some of the covers in my mind, this one popped up FIRST, I kid you not!
----
rekt
24.08.2012 - 00:48
Uldreth

So,

Wassup with round 5?
24.08.2012 - 11:27
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by tea[m]ster on 24.08.2012 at 00:38

Oh, you like that one too? I have almost 900 albums in my collection, but quick going through some of the covers in my mind, this one popped up FIRST, I kid you not!

It's wonderful, not surprising it did really
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 14244 | This month: 12