Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm's Favourite Album Art: Round 4!

300, then 50, then 20. Now 10. We're drawing ever closer to figuring out Metal Storm's collective favorite album artwork!

We've changed the voting scheme around every round so far, how is this one going to work? Well, it's going to be a lot like last round, but instead it's going to be 5 and 5. 5 you like/are ok with/find least reprehensible, and 5 you want to see gone. 5 thumbs up, 5 thumbs down.

In order to have your votes counted, you MUST choose both 5 thumbs down, and 5 thumbs up. If you can only find 1 or 2 you'd give a thumbs up to, then fill out the remainder with the ones you find least ugly.

Here is the top 10:
Alcest - Ecailles de Lune
Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thundergod
Amorphis - Skyforger
Cormorant - Dwellings
Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées
Mastodon - Leviathan
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
Vildhjarta - Måsstaden

Tune in on August 22nd for Round 5 when we reveal the final 3!

Remember, only picks PM'd to Doc Godin will be counted.
Posted: 16.08.2012 by Doc G.

Comments page 5 / 7

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 196   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 519 users
19.08.2012 - 17:54
Unna Med
No Ahab? No "The Call Of The Wretched Sea"? For shame, for shame...
----
Hello?
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?
19.08.2012 - 19:04
testdrug
Perhaps nobody on this website likes power metal, but I am shocked there isn't a single cover from that genre.

Seems pretty biased to me.
19.08.2012 - 19:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by testdrug on 19.08.2012 at 19:04

Perhaps nobody on this website likes power metal, but I am shocked there isn't a single cover from that genre.

Seems pretty biased to me.

More like that 98% of power metal artwork is horrible

Case in point.
19.08.2012 - 20:04
testdrug
Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 19:06

More like that 98% of power metal artwork is horrible

Case in point.

incorrect.
19.08.2012 - 20:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by testdrug on 19.08.2012 at 20:04

incorrect.

You're right.... it's probably closer to 99%.
19.08.2012 - 20:27
testdrug
Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 20:23

You're right.... it's probably closer to 99%.

Wrong again.
19.08.2012 - 20:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by testdrug on 19.08.2012 at 20:27

Wrong again.

Dude, I hate power metal artwork as much as anyone but saying more than 99% of it is bad is just being hateful.
19.08.2012 - 20:35
testdrug
Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 20:31

Dude, I hate power metal artwork as much as anyone but saying more than 99% of it is bad is just being hateful.

I can tell you hate power metal artwork. Probably hate power metal as well.

Like I said, biased.
19.08.2012 - 20:38
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Best ever, love the premise:

----
rekt
19.08.2012 - 20:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by testdrug on 19.08.2012 at 20:35

Like I said, biased.

You say biased, I say you're a butt hurt power metal fan that's annoyed because there's no power metal artwork.

Take another look at the album arts featured. There's no death metal artwork either. Guess people must be biased toward death metal as well, despite the abundant amount of death metal fans here.
19.08.2012 - 20:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 19.08.2012 at 20:38

Best ever, love the premise:

Very nice artwork. Great colours and love the fact it's a thousand miles away from modern day photoshopping.
19.08.2012 - 20:55
testdrug
Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 20:38

You say biased, I say you're a butt hurt power metal fan that's annoyed because there's no power metal artwork.

Take another look at the album arts featured. There's no death metal artwork either. Guess people must be biased toward death metal as well, despite the abundant amount of death metal fans here.

sorry Susan. You're wrong again.

Stop being a butthurt troll who can't take an opinion that isn't yours. There's several melodic death metal bands on that list. I'm STILL surprised no power metal album covers broke the top 10 (or the top 20), regardless of what your silly fanboy opinion is.
19.08.2012 - 21:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by testdrug on 19.08.2012 at 20:55

sorry Susan. You're wrong again.

Stop being a butthurt troll who can't take an opinion that isn't yours. There's several melodic death metal bands on that list. I'm STILL surprised no power metal album covers broke the top 10 (or the top 20), regardless of what your silly fanboy opinion is.

For reference, If you can't differentiate between melodeath and death metal (two genres which share virtually nothing in common aside from the name) then you should probably go back and learn the basics first.

There's also no post-metal, no metalcore, no heavy metal, no thrash and probably a bunch of other genres not featured here. Yet you're the first one moaning about the lack of a particular style. Poor baby.

I might be a troll (it seemed appropriate when someone makes such erroneous arguments) but I don't have anything to be butthurt about because I'm not getting personally offended that a genre I like isn't featured in an album art competition But please, continue to make invalidated claims plagued with personal bias.

Also, my "silly fanboy opinion?" Haha, what opinion was that then? I think you probably mean "hater" with my regard to power metal artwork. As I've explained in this thread and similar my distaste for power metal artwork is separate from the music. It's a form or "art" that is plagued by generic, copy + paste photoshop botch jobs. That Google link I posted is evidence of that. Same themes, same overly saturated colours and shiny textures that involve zero talent or imagination. I feel the same about generic, black and white "grim" black metal artwork as well.

Now, Shirley, go ahead and tell me I'm "wrong again."
19.08.2012 - 21:41
testdrug
Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 21:03

For reference, If you can't differentiate between melodeath and death metal (two genres which share virtually nothing in common aside from the name) then you should probably go back and learn the basics first.

There's also no post-metal, no metalcore, no heavy metal, no thrash and probably a bunch of other genres not featured here. Yet you're the first one moaning about the lack of a particular style. Poor baby.

I might be a troll (it seemed appropriate when someone makes such erroneous arguments) but I don't have anything to be butthurt about because I'm not getting personally offended that a genre I like isn't featured in an album art competition But please, continue to make invalidated claims plagued with personal bias.

Also, my "silly fanboy opinion?" Haha, what opinion was that then? I think you probably mean "hater" with my regard to power metal artwork. As I've explained in this thread and similar my distaste for power metal artwork is separate from the music. It's a form or "art" that is plagued by generic, copy + paste photoshop botch jobs. That Google link I posted is evidence of that. Same themes, same overly saturated colours and shiny textures that involve zero talent or imagination. I feel the same about generic, black and white "grim" black metal artwork as well.

Now, Shirley, go ahead and tell me I'm "wrong again."

Really? Feel free to school me on how "melodeath" and death metal have absolutely zero things in common with each other. Maybe we can start making up some genres in the process. Really though, I need a lesson.

Sure, there's a lot of genres left out. However, I wasn't commenting on those genres. Notice that? I am sure I am not the first to be surprised such and such cover didn't make this list and I am sure I'm not the first (nor the last) to hear a crybaby response telling me how much a genre sucks. I'm sorry you hate power metal covers, just don't whine about it to me.

Clearly you're hurt over me telling you that your opinion is wrong. Unfortunately...it is. My statement towards the list being biased is true. Do you take personal offense that I think it's biased? You shouldn't...I don't. It is what it is. However, I'm just pointing that out.

It's just that, a silly fanboy opinion that's biased. Where you might think something is tiresome, uninventive and overly cheesy, someone enjoys. I personally don't care to see a dark forest or a brooding castle on all my album covers, but hey, if people think that's original and creative, more power to them. It's not. The google link you provided mostly composed of logos that weren't covers or bands that really weren't power metal bands.

I get it Lucy, you hate power metal. Got it.
19.08.2012 - 21:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by testdrug on 19.08.2012 at 21:41
My statement towards the list being biased is true.

How the hell is it biased if absolutely EVERYONE on this website was able to vote. Might as well say that any regular voting is automatically biased since some certain people happened to not be around during the voting. That's not how the word "biased" works. It's not like we started with a list artworks on the beginning... the very first round was like this:

OKAY GUYS! each and everyone of you send us your 3 favorite artworks!
All the artworks that get at least 2 votes get in the second round.

I don't see where the bias part comes in. It was very fair.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.08.2012 - 21:52
Misfit74
Well this thread (and contest) is an epic waste of time...
19.08.2012 - 21:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Misfit74 on 19.08.2012 at 21:52

Well this thread (and contest) is an epic waste of time...

You should stick around for the "worst album art". That one will be way more hilarious considering the huge amount of horrible shit out there...
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.08.2012 - 21:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by testdrug on 19.08.2012 at 21:41

Really? Feel free to school me on how "melodeath" and death metal have absolutely zero things in common with each other. Maybe we can start making up some genres in the process. Really though, I need a lesson.

Sure, there's a lot of genres left out. However, I wasn't commenting on those genres. Notice that? I am sure I am not the first to be surprised such and such cover didn't make this list and I am sure I'm not the first (nor the last) to hear a crybaby response telling me how much a genre sucks. I'm sorry you hate power metal covers, just don't whine about it to me.

Clearly you're hurt over me telling you that your opinion is wrong. Unfortunately...it is. My statement towards the list being biased is true. Do you take personal offense that I think it's biased? You shouldn't...I don't. It is what it is. However, I'm just pointing that out.

It's just that, a silly fanboy opinion that's biased. Where you might think something is tiresome, uninventive and overly cheesy, someone enjoys. I personally don't care to see a dark forest or a brooding castle on all my album covers, but hey, if people think that's original and creative, more power to them. It's not. The google link you provided mostly composed of logos that weren't covers or bands that really weren't power metal bands.

I get it Lucy, you hate power metal. Got it.

But my "opinion" isn't an opinion, it's a fact being pointed out. I was pointing out how your assertion that people are "biased" against power metal is completely off, and, ironically, a statement based on personal bias and something that can't be proved (and you haven't even began to try to explain why one genre not being here, amongst a dozen others is "biased"). There's a shit ton of power metal fans here. A lot more than there are djent fans (yet there's a djent album cover here, go figure). If you had any kind of level head you'd know that it was probably a fluke that no power metal artwork was featured here yet you chose a disingenuous avenue of discussion by using "bias" as part of the reasoning.

I still don't understand your reasoning on the "fanboy" premise. My arguments are made with points to back up it that call in to question rehashed themes and styles. That's not "fanboyism." Saying outright that the lack of power metal artwork is down to people's bias IS fanboyism. I'm not complaining that there's no Sunn O))) or Deathspell Omega artwork here, despite the fact that it's my opinion that it's far closer to "art" than the majority of power metal album covers. I'm not suggesting people are "biased" against those genres.

As for the death/melodeath comment I can only apologise. I should have figured out that someone who didn't realise power metal is amongst the most popular of metal genres probably couldn't tell the difference between death and melodeath
19.08.2012 - 22:06
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Agree with the Doctor, you can stop your cat fight (seriously, what's up with the girl nicknames? ) and realize biasing has nothing to do with the choices so far. If the majority of users registered on this site have preference for one genre (I believe it's melodic death here) and have common hate for another (probably nu-metal, power metal and Lulu) it's just the way this site is and it's not related to biasing. And as Joe pointed out, there are no melodic death choices either, I think some really good artworks made it this far.
19.08.2012 - 22:35
testdrug
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.08.2012 at 21:46

How the hell is it biased if absolutely EVERYONE on this website was able to vote. Might as well say that any regular voting is automatically biased since some certain people happened to not be around during the voting. That's not how the word "biased" works. It's not like we started with a list artworks on the beginning... the very first round was like this:

OKAY GUYS! each and everyone of you send us your 3 favorite artworks!
All the artworks that get at least 2 votes get in the second round.

I don't see where the bias part comes in. It was very fair.

Actually, if I recall correctly, the first part of submission called for people to submit their favorite 3, but it never specified how the first 50 was compiled. I assumed they chose what albums were most commonly being submitted and then filled in the rest with what they feel were worthy. If I were choosing, I'd probably be bias.

So why wouldn't they be? After that point, it was left up to people to vote from the list given. But even voters can be biased...just because there is a vote, doesn't mean there isn't bias decision at hand. If I try to pass a law banning blacks from bathrooms and 90% of the voters are members of the KKK...don't you think there is some bias there?

I'm not really bashing anyone for being bias...I'm just pointing out it's presence. It's just the reality.
19.08.2012 - 22:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by testdrug on 19.08.2012 at 22:35
I assumed they chose what albums were most commonly being submitted and then filled in the rest with what they feel were worthy.

Lols, that's even more biased dude... If the staff fills in will obviously cause more problems because there are less people involve and there not even less representative.

Every single round was voted by all users, bya comunity. That's nto what biased means. Biased would apply if some higher power took care and did adjustments which is not the case here because everything was done by evreryone in this website, staff or not.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.08.2012 - 22:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

Actually, if I recall correctly, the first part of submission called for people to submit their favorite 3, but it never specified how the first 50 was compiled. I assumed they chose what albums were most commonly being submitted and then filled in the rest with what they feel were worthy. If I were choosing, I'd probably be bias.

Baseless speculation. You need to stop doing this because you have no proof of any sort and have yet to show any. This is "fanboy" behaviour.

Quote:
So why wouldn't they be? After that point, it was left up to people to vote from the list given. But even voters can be biased...just because there is a vote, doesn't mean there isn't bias decision at hand. If I try to pass a law banning blacks from bathrooms and 90% of the voters are members of the KKK...don't you think there is some bias there?

What you fail and refuse to understand is the popularity of power metal. Something that popular and liked here could never succumb to people's bias.

Quote:
I'm not really bashing anyone for being bias...I'm just pointing out it's presence. It's just the reality.

This isn't reality you're pointing out, it's a skewed personal vision of the genre and of the term "bias"
19.08.2012 - 22:46
testdrug
Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 21:57

But my "opinion" isn't an opinion, it's a fact being pointed out. I was pointing out how your assertion that people are "biased" against power metal is completely off, and, ironically, a statement based on personal bias and something that can't be proved (and you haven't even began to try to explain why one genre not being here, amongst a dozen others is "biased"). There's a shit ton of power metal fans here. A lot more than there are djent fans (yet there's a djent album cover here, go figure). If you had any kind of level head you'd know that it was probably a fluke that no power metal artwork was featured here yet you chose a disingenuous avenue of discussion by using "bias" as part of the reasoning.

I still don't understand your reasoning on the "fanboy" premise. My arguments are made with points to back up it that call in to question rehashed themes and styles. That's not "fanboyism." Saying outright that the lack of power metal artwork is down to people's bias IS fanboyism. I'm not complaining that there's no Sunn O))) or Deathspell Omega artwork here, despite the fact that it's my opinion that it's far closer to "art" than the majority of power metal album covers. I'm not suggesting people are "biased" against those genres.

As for the death/melodeath comment I can only apologise. I should have figured out that someone who didn't realise power metal is amongst the most popular of metal genres probably couldn't tell the difference between death and melodeath

Why is that? You even backed up my statement of there being bias when you brought up the question of why other genres were ommitted from some of these lists...I can answer that. Because the majority of the people are bias. Hell...we all are. We should be. Maybe 95% of the people who made suggestions and voted, are fans of this genre...it obviously wasn't power metal. Which is cool, but for a list that's supposed to be the definite top album covers, there's definitely covers from all genres that were sorely overlooked (and that includes power metal). As for there being a shit ton of power metal fans here...I really doubt that. I've lurked this site for years and there's plenty of people who voiced their distaste for the genre...and hey, that's cool, but there's a small minority that probably really enjoy it. As for djent, I don't recognize that silly made up genre. Feel free to be offended by my last statement, i won't defend it however.

I disagree with your opinion on power metal covers. You think they are silly rehased themes and styles (yet, what genre really isn't rehased and following themes?), but I find them bold and ambitious. I think death metal has some great covers and even though I don't really like grind, but shock value aside, they have some well done covers. But hey, if you wanna accept that people don't have bias opinions that they won't disregard, then feel free to think that. Maybe people left those bands off their voting list because they think those specific bands produce terrible album covers...or maybe they just don't like the music to give them a fair shake. Maybe you should question it...would it really be so bad to do so?

Your apologizing to me, but you still haven't clarified your own comments. I never said power metal was the most popular of genres, far from it. I just asked you to tell me what you think the differences are between melodic death metal and death metal, but you hesitate. Do you even know?
19.08.2012 - 22:48
testdrug
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.08.2012 at 22:42

Lols, that's even more biased dude... If the staff fills in will obviously cause more problems because there are less people involve and there not even less representative.

Every single round was voted by all users, bya comunity. That's nto what biased means. Biased would apply if some higher power took care and did adjustments which is not the case here because everything was done by evreryone in this website, staff or not.

Care to link me to the first round? I'm looking at it right now and don't see where it states how they produced the list. It just asks people to submit 3 covers.
19.08.2012 - 22:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by testdrug on 19.08.2012 at 22:48
Care to link me to the first round? I'm looking at it right now and don't see where it states how they produced the list. It just asks people to submit 3 covers.

Quote:
Step 3: Tune in on July 31st, and we will reveal the top 50 picks. You can then choose your top 3 favorites out of those 50, and we'll continue to whittle it down in that manner.

And the top 50 were nothing more and nothing less that the 50 artworks that got the most votes. Nothing more about it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.08.2012 - 22:55
testdrug
Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 22:43

Baseless speculation. You need to stop doing this because you have no proof of any sort and have yet to show any. This is "fanboy" behaviour.

Quote:

What you fail and refuse to understand is the popularity of power metal. Something that popular and liked here could never succumb to people's bias.

Quote:

This isn't reality you're pointing out, it's a skewed personal vision of the genre and of the term "bias"

Not baseless, it just doesn't state anywhere how the first list was put together. Please link me to where it says this so I may get my facts straight. Until then, there's nothing baseless about my statement that I can retract.

What are you talking about? The popularity of power metal? Power Metal is one of the least popular genres out there and especially one of the least centric on this website. Telling me a genre is popular doesn't make it so. You need to have some sort of basis to back that up, which you don't.

Oh all right. Call it what you will. Everyone is bias, including you. Stop with the holier than thou attitude and just accept the fact that you aren't any different.
19.08.2012 - 23:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by testdrug on 19.08.2012 at 22:46

Why is that? You even backed up my statement of there being bias when you brought up the question of why other genres were ommitted from some of these lists...I can answer that. Because the majority of the people are bias. Hell...we all are. We should be. Maybe 95% of the people who made suggestions and voted, are fans of this genre...it obviously wasn't power metal. Which is cool, but for a list that's supposed to be the definite top album covers, there's definitely covers from all genres that were sorely overlooked (and that includes power metal). As for there being a shit ton of power metal fans here...I really doubt that. I've lurked this site for years and there's plenty of people who voiced their distaste for the genre...and hey, that's cool, but there's a small minority that probably really enjoy it. As for djent, I don't recognize that silly made up genre. Feel free to be offended by my last statement, i won't defend it however.

You're running around in circles. The pure fact that there's something as esoteric as a djent cover art here refutes your theory of people voting for fans of the genre. You don't seem to want to accept the possibility that power metal has hideous covers that even power metal fans might not want to vote for it. You don't understand what bias means clearly.

Quote:

I disagree with your opinion on power metal covers. You think they are silly rehased themes and styles (yet, what genre really isn't rehased and following themes?), but I find them bold and ambitious. I think death metal has some great covers and even though I don't really like grind, but shock value aside, they have some well done covers. But hey, if you wanna accept that people don't have bias opinions that they won't disregard, then feel free to think that. Maybe people left those bands off their voting list because they think those specific bands produce terrible album covers...or maybe they just don't like the music to give them a fair shake. Maybe you should question it...would it really be so bad to do so?

People have tastes, that's not bias. If you believe what you say, that everything and all decisions are plagued with bias then your comment was the most redundant comment possible. I took it to mean that there was unfair decision making going on, which is not the case. Power metal had its chance and failed, despite it being a very popular genre (which it is, that's a fact).

Quote:
Your apologizing to me, but you still haven't clarified your own comments. I never said power metal was the most popular of genres, far from it. I just asked you to tell me what you think the differences are between melodic death metal and death metal, but you hesitate. Do you even know?

I was being sarcastic, I was actually apologising. I'm very well aware of the huge differences between death and melodeath, as are most people. There are plenty of places you can educate yourself on that but in a nutshell melodeath has far more in common with the likes of Iron Maiden than it does with death metal. This is an offtopic issue and irrelevant at this point.
19.08.2012 - 23:00
testdrug
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.08.2012 at 22:51

And the top 50 were nothing more and nothing less that the 50 artworks that got the most votes. Nothing more about it.

Which was exactly what I had stated. I had assumed they picked what was most commonly submitted. However, they never state that. But thank you for reinforcing what I had just typed.
19.08.2012 - 23:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by testdrug on 19.08.2012 at 23:00

Which was exactly what I had stated. I had assumed they picked what was most commonly submitted. However, they never state that. But thank you for reinforcing what I had just typed.

More presumption on your part. You presume the worst with no evidence and expect to use it as a valid point in a discussion.
19.08.2012 - 23:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by testdrug on 19.08.2012 at 22:55

Not baseless, it just doesn't state anywhere how the first list was put together. Please link me to where it says this so I may get my facts straight. Until then, there's nothing baseless about my statement that I can retract.

It's baseless because there's no evidence. Scientists don't make theory's based on anecdotal evidence, which is what you're doing now. That is baseless.

Quote:

What are you talking about? The popularity of power metal? Power Metal is one of the least popular genres out there and especially one of the least centric on this website. Telling me a genre is popular doesn't make it so. You need to have some sort of basis to back that up, which you don't.

Yet a "non-genre" as you would regard it is here, but power metal is not? That's illogical on your part to use that argument then.

Quote:
Oh all right. Call it what you will. Everyone is bias, including you. Stop with the holier than thou attitude and just accept the fact that you aren't any different.

The difference is I understand the difference between taste and bias and don't use erroneous argument when something I like isn't featured.

Hits total: 14261 | This month: 15