03. More Of Fire Than Blood [feat. Paul Harrington]
04. The Unbearable Filth Of The Soul
05. Terror In The Mind Of God
06. So Be It
07. The Lucifer Effect
08. Oil Upon The Sores Of Lepers [feat. Marcos Barba]
09. Satanarchrist [re-recorded]
10. Blood Eagles Carved On The Backs Of Innocents

Anaal Nathrakh is a powerhouse of raw, furious noise that achieves something very few bands can accomplish in a world where so many boundaries have already been crossed: it is frightening to witness. Not only does In The Constellation Of The Black Widow contain prime examples of musicianship and masterful songwriting, but its sound is something truly evil. There is an atmosphere of despair, anger, and utter damnation that permeates every note and emanates from its very soul.

In The Constellation Of The Black Widow seems to follow the same formula as its predecessors. Anaal Nathrakh employs massive layering to create a wall of sound that obliterates everything in its path, melding elements of black, death, thrash, industrial, and grindcore in a nightmare-inducing sonic wave. Crunchy, distorted guitars and breakneck drums (although programmed in part) lay the framework for a display of vocal devastation the likes of which have rarely been heard before. Dave "V.I.T.R.I.O.L." Hunt's vocals span the many genres of extreme metal, making use of deep death growls, the higher-pitched snarling more common among black metal singers, the occasional pig squeal, and even clean vocals that are not only tasteful but astonishingly powerful. At times, his vocals sound akin to the demonic screams of tormented souls, screeching and howling like savage animals and adding so much to the atmosphere of this album. Attila Csihar's influence is palpable. There is something almost gothic about this band, an arcane feeling of dread that conjures up images of things truly evil.

This album starts off strong with a title track that, after a brief intro, sets the tone for the album with a lightning-fast, unrelenting assault on the listener's ears. "More Of Fire Than Blood," "Blood Eagles Carved On The Backs Of Innocents," and "So Be It" prove to be the other highlights. "Oil Upon The Sores Of Lepers" also features excellent guest vocals from Repvblika's Marco Barba, and several tracks contain solos from frequent guest Paul "Ventnor" Harrington of Fukpig.

Everything about In The Constellation Of The Black Widow is aggressive, uncompromising, bleak, and absolutely hostile. This is Metal as it should be; it is almost lethal. When played through a good system, it sounds as though the world itself is being torn apart by the creatures trying to force themselves out from the underworld through these songs. Anaal Nathrakh is the musical embodiment of oblivion.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by ScreamingSteelUS | 17.08.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 140 users
17.08.2012 - 11:50
Neroese
Account deleted
I can honestly say that it's very good album and review:)
17.08.2012 - 18:10
Rating: 9
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Thanks!
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
17.08.2012 - 19:27
J. N.
Account deleted
To me, this album is perfection. I shat my pants when I heard Hunt's gutturals in "Blood Eagles" for the first time.
18.08.2012 - 07:40
JD
Account deleted
Well written review. I love this album.
23.08.2012 - 16:44
Rating: 8
Slyfang

Great review for one of the most brutal and venomous albums ever made.

Possibly my least favourite Anaal Nathrakh album though, but the production is unmatched, sterile and sharp as a surgical scalpel carving into your ears.
24.09.2012 - 00:14
Blackhand

I want to pick this album up for sure.
02.10.2012 - 23:53
monti_84

The problem i have with this music is that there´s not much difference from track to track. Gets boring very quickly. Listen to track 1 and 3, almost the same.
----
The universe does not need a creator
02.10.2012 - 23:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by monti_84 on 02.10.2012 at 23:53

The problem i have with this music is that there´s not much difference from track to track. Gets boring very quickly. Listen to track 1 and 3, almost the same.

But you like Amon Amarth; they've been making the same song over and over again for years now, as you yourself said
03.10.2012 - 00:41
monti_84

Written by Guest on 02.10.2012 at 23:56

Written by monti_84 on 02.10.2012 at 23:53

But you like Amon Amarth; they've been making the same song over and over again for years now, as you yourself said

True, but Amon Amarth plays very memorable music, while Anaal Nathrakh makes a lot of mess you wont remember a single note of...big difference.
----
The universe does not need a creator
03.10.2012 - 00:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by monti_84 on 03.10.2012 at 00:41

True, but Amon Amarth plays very memorable music, while Anaal Nathrakh makes a lot of mess you wont remember a single note of...big difference.

Anaal Nathrakh are anything but messy, I remember most of their songs very easily as they're all clearly structured. Personally Amon Amarth are far too generic of their genre to be memorable to me.

Hits total: 6194 | This month: 5