Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm's Favorite Album Art: The Final 3!

Alright folks, here it is - the final 3! The round is simple; pick your #1 favorite from these 3! The highest picked album artwork for this round will be considered the Metal Storm users favorite album art!

Remember: ONLY votes PM'd to Doc Godin here on Metal Storm will be counted. I'd like to congratulate those of you who followed this direction correctly, your reading comprehension skills do you justice. To the nice people who decided to e-mail me their picks; thank you, all your votes were completely disregarded. Good work.

Alcest - Ecailles de Lune
Cormorant - Dwellings
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées

Deadline for voting is August 29th.
Posted: 24.08.2012 by Doc Godin

Comments page 3 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 83   Visited by: 553 users
26.08.2012 - 07:21
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Edmund Fogg on 26.08.2012 at 06:30

Written by Vermoorden on 26.08.2012 at 05:50

How does the cormorant artwork even fit on a cd/vinyl?!?!? Its beautiful though.

Their is something magical one can do with paper. It's called folding. I shit you not progress just keeps on going.

26.08.2012 - 11:02
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
26.08.2012 - 11:38
Vermoorden

Written by Edmund Fogg on 26.08.2012 at 06:30

Written by Vermoorden on 26.08.2012 at 05:50

How does the cormorant artwork even fit on a cd/vinyl?!?!? Its beautiful though.

Their is something magical one can do with paper. It's called folding. I shit you not progress just keeps on going.

Derp derp, but that kinda ruins the flow youknow? Id rather buy a huge rectangle shaped album then one with 3/4ths of the cover hidden inside the case.

I'll have to check into this folding sorcery though. Looks pretty blasphemous.
26.08.2012 - 19:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Unhealer on 25.08.2012 at 21:25

I insist that if the MS Awards had this 5 positive votes and 5 negative votes or something similar, the results would be a lot less fanboy-driven.
Thing is that system doesn't sound very aesthetic for such awards...

this is a hilarious assertion.

because when, say, 552 Mastodon fans show up to vote for sludge/stoner, those 2760 negative votes aren't going to tank the living hell out of bands like Sleestak's scores, amirite?

if you look at the results it's just one or maybe two bands running away with most categories... average margin of victory in larger categories is 200, 300, 400... hell, Amorphis nearly locked up half the votes (648 of 1300) in their category, beating the next 12 bands vote totals combined.

you'll just have a ton of lesser known bands who released great material with negative scores.

not to mention that the amount of work that goes in to the awards as it is is near Herculean for the 10 or so that step up.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.08.2012 - 20:04
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by BitterCOld on 26.08.2012 at 19:23

because when, say, 552 Mastodon fans show up to vote for sludge/stoner, those 2760 negative votes aren't going to tank the living hell out of bands like Sleestak's scores, amirite?

It may work at times, since there are also other 4 votes that'd go for bands that deserve it. Not for the lesser known bands probably if you do some math, but yeah, I noticed THAT specific system wouldn't work.

I thought of that based on the results of this contest. I believe, for example, Amon Amarth/Wintersun fans were voting that awful artwork out of fanboy-ism or whatever and giving negative votes to other potential winners that might hold a chance against their favourite band. At the same time, they (hopefully) gave positive votes to artwork they fairly liked and negatives to the ones they didn't.
This way, fanboy-driven candidates eliminate each other, while the rest of the people go though the artworks and rightfully choose their favorite artworks and then these have an actual chance of winning.

It's just a theory, one would have to go though the actual results and check... but don't you believe that if this contest had been positive votes only we'd have a very different (and fanboy-ish) set of results?
26.08.2012 - 20:48
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Unhealer on 26.08.2012 at 20:04

well, a single positive and a single negative vote would be better for that. but i dont think downvoting is a good idea anyway.
26.08.2012 - 20:56
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 26.08.2012 at 20:48

well, a single positive and a single negative vote would be better for that. but i dont think downvoting is a good idea anyway.

Yup, just the idea of thinking "MS Awards 2012!!! Vote your favourite band and prevent your least favourite band from winning!!!" sounds awful, even if it may have a chance of giving better results.
26.08.2012 - 21:00
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Unhealer on 26.08.2012 at 20:56

Yup, just the idea of thinking "MS Awards 2012!!! Vote your favourite band and prevent your least favourite band from winning!!!" sounds awful, even if it may have a chance of giving better results.

that and the fact that a sizeable proportion of votes are made by people who may be directed to vote for a certain band by the band on their FB page or whatever. they'd just upvote for what they came here to vote for and downvote their quota at random.
27.08.2012 - 04:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Unhealer on 26.08.2012 at 20:04

It may work at times, since there are also other 4 votes that'd go for bands that deserve it. Not for the lesser known bands probably if you do some math, but yeah, I noticed THAT specific system wouldn't work.

I thought of that based on the results of this contest. I believe, for example, Amon Amarth/Wintersun fans were voting that awful artwork out of fanboy-ism or whatever and giving negative votes to other potential winners that might hold a chance against their favourite band. At the same time, they (hopefully) gave positive votes to artwork they fairly liked and negatives to the ones they didn't.
This way, fanboy-driven candidates eliminate each other, while the rest of the people go though the artworks and rightfully choose their favorite artworks and then these have an actual chance of winning.

It's just a theory, one would have to go though the actual results and check... but don't you believe that if this contest had been positive votes only we'd have a very different (and fanboy-ish) set of results?

it wouldn't. if you don't think staff have analyzed patterns and discussed options you are delusional. hell, you're delusional if you think everyone listens to everything in every category they vote in.

i'd rather have fanbois voting for their favorite album than fanbois voting for their favorite album and randomly punishing other acts.

i do see THIS contest would have different results, but THIS contest is not the MSA's. we didn't have people popping in out of the woodwork, promoting on facebook, nor MS staff contacting the top 50 and further cuts encouraging votes.

to a certain extent the majority of voting is fanboi voting, just a question of who has the biggest army of fanbois.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.08.2012 - 05:13
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by BitterCOld on 27.08.2012 at 04:48

it wouldn't. if you don't think staff have analyzed patterns and discussed options you are delusional. hell, you're delusional if you think everyone listens to everything in every category they vote in.

Take it easy, it was just an observation, I didn't say "You system is shit, change it" or meant any disrespect.
And you are right, checking out an artwork is a hell lotta different from checking out an album.
28.08.2012 - 05:33
Mattybu

It's not worth bothering to vote at this point, but the middle one is definitely the best. The other two are total duds. That's not to say the middle one is particularly amazing but it's pretty cool.
28.08.2012 - 13:27
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Mattybu on 28.08.2012 at 05:33

It's not worth bothering to vote at this point, but the middle one is definitely the best.

Then why wouldn't you vote for the middle one? Not that I'm trying to get you to vote one of my favourite albums into a win.
28.08.2012 - 13:45
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by R'Vannith on 28.08.2012 at 13:27

Not that I'm trying to get you to vote one of my favourite albums into a win.

28.08.2012 - 13:49
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 28.08.2012 at 13:45

Not that I'm trying to get you to vote one of my favourite albums into a win.

And you certainly haven't been implementing a bit of persuasion of your own have you Fredd?
28.08.2012 - 13:52
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by R'Vannith on 28.08.2012 at 13:49

And you certainly haven't been implementing a bit of persuasion of your own have you Fredd?

Preposterous! How could I!
28.08.2012 - 19:13
Mattybu

Written by Mattybu on 28.08.2012 at 05:33

It's not worth bothering to vote at this point, but the middle one is definitely the best.

Then why wouldn't you vote for the middle one? Not that I'm trying to get you to vote one of my favourite albums into a win.

Personally I'm not concerned with which one wins. In my personal poll the middle one wins by a margin of 1 vote. Congratulations
29.08.2012 - 06:12
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Mattybu on 28.08.2012 at 19:13

Personally I'm not concerned with which one wins. In my personal poll the middle one wins by a margin of 1 vote. Congratulations

Sorry.
30.08.2012 - 06:18
Mattybu

Written by Unhealer on 29.08.2012 at 06:12

Written by Mattybu on 28.08.2012 at 19:13

Sorry.

haters gonna hate.
30.08.2012 - 06:35
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
And the winner is... Football in the Groin.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.09.2012 - 12:10
Fredd
Account deleted
WHERE ARE THE RESULTS?
01.09.2012 - 12:17
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 01.09.2012 at 12:10

WHERE ARE THE RESULTS?

HERE: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=1149
03.09.2012 - 22:04
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by R'Vannith on 01.09.2012 at 12:17

Written by Guest on 01.09.2012 at 12:10

WHERE ARE THE RESULTS?

HERE: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=1149

He wasn't asking for the winner. The title suggests "Metal Storm's Favorite Album Artwork: The Results!" but except Cormorant I don't see which cover ended up on what place.
----
04.09.2012 - 17:00
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by qlacs on 03.09.2012 at 22:04

He wasn't asking for the winner. The title suggests "Metal Storm's Favorite Album Artwork: The Results!" but except Cormorant I don't see which cover ended up on what place.

Oh, I assumed he just meant the final result. Would be interesting to see a ranking I suppose, and how many votes they each got.

Hits total: 8482 | This month: 11