Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm's Favorite Album Artwork: The Results!

Written by: Doc G.
Published: 01.09.2012

And the winner of Metal Storm's All Time Favourite Album art is none other than Cormorant! Congratulations to both Cormorant and artist Alice Duke on the great artwork.

Here's what you, the Metal Storm community, chose as your favorite album artwork:

Here's what the creator, Alice Duke, had to say:

"So the band had a really clear idea of the kind of thing they wanted, a kind of Bruegel-esque Tower of Babel with sections that linked thematically to each song. They were also pretty clear that they wanted to try to stay away from clichéd "metal" imagery, which made illustrating parts like the invading forces at the bottom a challenge. My background is in videogame concept art and comics, both of which can veer towards dark and complex imagery, so I really relished the story telling opportunities in making such a big piece."

"Generally I worked to a specific brief, it involved a lot of emailing back and forth ('how about adding this to represent this' etc) with various band members chiming in. Surprisingly this wasn't as frustrating as it might sound - I've had much pickier clients and they were very open to ideas I had, the whole process felt very collaborative. I also had the music on hand, as well as the lyrics, to mine inspiration from and make sure that I stuck to the overall concept."

For those of you who want to know a little more about Alice Duke herself:

"I'm a concept artist, illustrator and comics drawer based in Liverpool, UK. I've illustrated short comics for a variety of publications, including The Graphic Canon, Nelson, Lovecraft Anthology Volume 1 and Nevermore. I also make album covers, posters, book illustrations and now as a day job I draw things for games.

You can find my sketchblog at http://alicedraws.blogspot.com and twitter updates at http://twitter.com/aliceduke."

And of course, we couldn't leave things without hearing from Cormorant themselves, here's what guitarist Nick Cohon had to say:

"That is really so cool! Thank you very much for the support and publicity. We definitely didn't think that this artwork would be in a competition with these other bad-ass bands. Some of my all time favorites are Drudkh's Autumn Aurora, Enslaved's Frost, and Ulver's Shadow Of The Sun. The Alcest artwork is pretty cool too."

"Surprisingly enough, after we finished the art design for Metazoa, we wanted to scale it back, simplify it and add more of a human element. In hindsight, I think that the anthropocentric element was achieved, but it still is quite busy visually. Alice did such a good job though that there was very little we wanted to remove although there are some funny drafts that included swords and shit which probably will never see the light of day. This art is really meant to be a poster, 4-5 ft tall and 1-2ft wide as is Metazoa and eventually when we get our stuff together, we'll print them to order and sell them. Arthur printed one himself and it is breath taking!"

For a full interview with Cormorant discussing this artwork, go here.

Cormorant are currently on tour with Primordial and While Heaven Wept. Go here to check out the tour dates.

Written on 01.09.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 52   Visited by: 565 users
02.09.2012 - 20:25
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Good to see the whole picture, and actually it looks marvelous, but still, for me Alcest's is ultimate winner even if I don't like their music...

Good point at Oaken.
----
02.09.2012 - 22:19
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.09.2012 at 17:46

as if there were rules of how to make art.

I have rules about what I like in art and, when things aren't drawn to scale and look like it came out of a Where's Waldo book, I think it's crap. That's my opinion. Let's just agree to disagree about this cover.
03.09.2012 - 17:48
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Oaken on 02.09.2012 at 17:05

Now it's time for THE WORST COVER ART EVER CONTEST!!

With an interview to the winner band and artwork responsible as well
There must be a really interesting story behind the cover of Manowar's Anthology....
04.09.2012 - 07:50
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I guess it's too late to nominate Dio's Master Of The Moon?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
04.09.2012 - 12:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by M C Vice on 04.09.2012 at 07:50

I guess it's too late to nominate Dio's Master Of The Moon?

a few days
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.09.2012 - 19:38
Behdaad
DEAD
I voted for Alcest, but I think this one should have won.
It's a great album art though.

Thanks to Doc who managed all this contest.
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
04.09.2012 - 20:22
In Bone Factory

Nice cover art but I think album cover arts should be more minimal
----
The End Is Nigh ...
04.09.2012 - 23:55
JÄY
Metal slave
Its ok, i guess... not best album cover of all time material...or even close for that matter. And it seems unfair that the entire piece was taken into consideration, rather than the top 1/4 thats actualy the album cover
07.09.2012 - 21:05
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Deserved Winner.

But I kinda gave up on this contest because it was too narrow, it woulda been better as a Top10 favorite album cover type thing, because who really has 1 favorite cover?? everyone has multiple that they like for different reasons that are hard to compare.

oh and this might already be a thing but do the Metalstorm awards have best album cover of the year award??
----
pewpew.. gotcha
09.09.2012 - 18:37
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by AngelofDeth on 07.09.2012 at 21:05
oh and this might already be a thing but do the Metalstorm awards have best album cover of the year award??

Don't think it does, sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe you should pm a staffer.
09.09.2012 - 19:50
Lit.
Account deleted
How the hell does that fit onto a CD case?
09.09.2012 - 20:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 09.09.2012 at 19:50

How the hell does that fit onto a CD case?

Never heard of fold outs?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.09.2012 - 19:46
Grey Wind

I prefer different styles with album art but agree this is indeed impressive
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
12.09.2012 - 16:03
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Ridiculous
20.09.2012 - 11:05
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by wmp990702 on 20.09.2012 at 11:02

What is this? An ad? Cat walked across the keypad?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
20.09.2012 - 11:55
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by M C Vice on 20.09.2012 at 11:05

Written by wmp990702 on 20.09.2012 at 11:02

What is this? An ad? Cat walked across the keypad?

A cat with an interest in trending jewelry and the legal system in Houston apparently.
21.09.2012 - 05:48
Mattybu

ALICE DUKE SO SEXYYYYYYY
12.10.2012 - 22:39
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
Oh my fucking god! that is such an awesome artwork, i just stared at it for half and hour, just fucking beautiful, love you alice
29.01.2013 - 01:24
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Well shit happens !
29.01.2013 - 17:42
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.01.2013 at 01:24

Well shit happens !

Oh you
29.01.2013 - 17:57
Fritillaria