Found in 1 list
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 43   Visited by: 148 users
02.09.2012 - 17:13
Rating: 3
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Also, the first one is quite a bit better than this, she doesn't sing as much, and there's some nice structure to the songs... still, it's probably only a 7 at best.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.09.2012 - 17:50
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Boxcar Willy on 02.09.2012 at 17:13

Also, the first one is quite a bit better than this, she doesn't sing as much, and there's some nice structure to the songs... still, it's probably only a 7 at best.

Is it the singing itself you find particularly bad or just how they're used with the music? I thought they were good, in fact the album wouldn't be much without them..
I'm intrigued to see how this one could be so different, sounds like they really fell apart.
02.09.2012 - 20:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by R'Vannith on 02.09.2012 at 17:50

Written by Boxcar Willy on 02.09.2012 at 17:13

Is it the singing itself you find particularly bad or just how they're used with the music? I thought they were good, in fact the album wouldn't be much without them..
I'm intrigued to see how this one could be so different, sounds like they really fell apart.

She doesn't use her opera voice as much, she kind of hums in nice gentle tone, in this she belts it out, which absolutely kills the entire album.

I listened to the first one again, and musically it's okay, but it's not really good or interesting, and the vocals still don't fit.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.09.2012 - 12:01
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Now that I've heard the album...
The tag "doom metal" by itself isn't really the best way to describe Herodias. Probably better off putting experimental, avant-garde or neo-classical in front of it. Ambient could work, but the vocals get too proninent for mist ambient works.
This sounds like the b-side to Dance Of The 7 Veils. Possibly they were concieved as a double album, as the songs are completly interchangable. If, like me, you enjoy piano music and female vocals, you probably would like this. If you liked 7 Veils you should give this a go. If you hated 7 Veils, avoid this - it's a notch or 2 below.
I wouldn't be suprised if Herodias were fans of Star Of Ash, there's bits of Iter.Viator all through these 2 albums. However, the backmasking is over used, there's serious editing problems here (too much silence at the end of the tracks and gaps within some songs) and a prominent spoken word section, something which, with the rare exception, I loath.
Probably a 7, maybe an 8 if it grows on me.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
14.09.2012 - 17:25
BogdanIonut
Account deleted
Too much drama around here for such a masterpiece. Honestly now, this duo is fantastic both in song composition and singing. I did not expect much from production quality since this is a self-recorded/self-released album like the previous one but it has exactly what I want from a funeral doom band with a female vocalist.

I doubt that most of you who bashed her for her vocals ever tried listening to either Omit or Skumring, which are high quality funeral doom acts. Herodias does not really fit in the funeral doom category though, as the female vocals seem to be a little bit high too, but the terms "avant-garde" or "experimental" exists for a duo that tries to bring something new.

I don't want to brag about the fact that I have been listening to doom metal for almost a decade but hey, this band is one of a kind at the moment. I compared it with Omit/Skumring since both bands feature the same female vocalist in the line-up but Kristina's voice is enchanting, it catches exactly the mood of the song and it mostly stands as an atmospheric element. The piano passages are brilliant as well, in fact, the singing and the piano solos are probably the best I've heard in a while.

I think that they funeral doom genre became more colorful with a duo like Herodias.
15.09.2012 - 14:32
Rating: 8
Merchant of Doom

I quite liked it... my only problem with this are the over-fuzzy guitar sound and the vocals, when the singer is not using the operatic style, as in Una Vida Aislada... that's really terrible. Doom? There's a bit of Doom, but not much. In fact, I wouldn't call them a doom band. Don't understand why people are hating it so much.
19.09.2012 - 00:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 14.09.2012 at 17:25

but the terms "avant-garde" or "experimental" exists for a duo that tries to bring something new.

Shitty or Awful would work to.

I honestly have heard this three times now, and it's still garbage, I don't understand, but opinions are opinions.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.09.2012 - 02:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.09.2012 at 00:56

...I don't understand...

I don't rate it as low as you but I also don't understand the rpaise some people give it or even the people that say it is okay.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.09.2012 - 12:33
BogdanIonut
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.09.2012 at 00:56

Written by Guest on 14.09.2012 at 17:25

but the terms "avant-garde" or "experimental" exists for a duo that tries to bring something new.

Shitty or Awful would work to.

I honestly have heard this three times now, and it's still garbage, I don't understand, but opinions are opinions.

Excuse them for trying something new and experiment a bit. That is why it is called "experiment", you do not know if it will appeal for all people, some of them are traditionalists that don't stand and don't want changes some other people are open minded and care to dig a little bit deeper.

I listened to it more than 3 times, and the more I listen to this album, the more it grows for me. In a sea of funeral doom acts, this band managed to come up with something a little bit different. I managed to spot this right away, that is why I like them, because it does not sound so generic. And yeah, opinions, to each his own. You consider it garbage, I consider it a masterpiece, nothing can change my mind about it. The vocal stands as an atmospheric element, it is like part of the instrumental, it sets the mood of the song, it is esential, without it, the entire album would not be the same. As for the piano parts, I think this album has some of the best piano solos I heard in a long time (I myself being a piano player).
12.01.2013 - 16:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Enter my vote for worst album of the year.

Or don't. Because it really sucks.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.11.2015 - 05:31
Rating: 8
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
I genuinely didn't think this was that bad. I was all psyched for it to be a horrible piece of garbage to chuck a low number at, but I actually enjoy it.

I think this site has led me into more good albums that I expected to be awful rather than vice versa, which I suppose is a good thing, but it gets confusing.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
29.06.2016 - 14:16
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 02.11.2015 at 05:31

I genuinely didn't think this was that bad. I was all psyched for it to be a horrible piece of garbage to chuck a low number at, but I actually enjoy it.

I think this site has led me into more good albums that I expected to be awful rather than vice versa, which I suppose is a good thing, but it gets confusing.

Well after your comment I expected this to be another misunderstood metalband, it isnt

And who the **** put up those similar bands? Sunn O))) and Skepticism
08.11.2016 - 04:41
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Was searching for this thread sometime. I really love how Marcel bossed them around at the top here.

As for the music, I'm gonna take Willy's word for it and just skip it anyway.

Hits total: 5664 | This month: 18