05. Coldhearted
06. Breathe The Disease
07. Annihilation
08. Left In Torment
09. Slay the Firstborn
10. The Orchestra Of Death
11. The Path Of The Dead
12. This Fuck You Is My Last Goodbye

Metalcore is a trend nowadays and if a lot of these bands started to play this music in USA, we have now more and more releases that come from Europe, Belgium and Denmark being one of the most productive countries of the continent. "Midnight Tornado" is the second album of the Danish combo As We Fight. Their first album "Black Nails And Bloody Wrists" got some good words and the bands even won the awards of best "Live Band" at the Danish Metal Awards. Promising isn't it? Well yes but unfortunately, "Midnight Tornado" the new album is a bit common and not so surprising?

We have some good things on this release even if all is not perfect. The songs are catchy in general and I understand why they got this best "Live Band" award? their songs are just perfect for the live performances. It's basic Metalcore but the riffs are well done and the catchy melodies are perfect to jump and headbang like an crazy dude in the pit. It's not unpleasant to listen to the album but it can become a bit boring at the end. Why? Well, because the songs are a bit all the same?

And when all the songs of your album are all a bit similar and when your music sounds like the one of a ton of others Metalcore bands, it's not so easy to catch the attention of the potential listeners. I listened to this album a lot of time but I can't give you the title of a song that found a way to stay in my memory. It's not a matter of bad quality, I cannot say that the music of As We Fight is bad but it's extremely unoriginal and a bit repetitive at the end so?

I don't really know what to think about this release. For sure the songs are made for the lives and on stage, they will kick ass. But it's also a bit basic and well, when I listened to this release I just had a feeling of deja-vu and it's a bit sad. As We Fight is not a bad band and "Midnight Tornado" is not a bad album, but it big lacks of personality will be a real problem for a potential success. Let's hope that the band will find a way to release something a bit more personal the next time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written by Jeff | 20.11.2006

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 37 users
20.11.2006 - 21:29
Herzebeth

Here's a very insightful comment: this sounds really gay
----
15.01.2008 - 17:18
GT
Coffee!!
Don't know how the sound on CD, but live these guys really rock. Loads of energy and catchy riffs...too bad their release doesn't confirm this
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep

Hits total: 5195 | This month: 5