03. Riding On The Wind
04. Bloodstone
05. (Take These) Chains
06. Pain And Pleasure
07. Screaming For Vengeance
08. You've Got Another Thing Comin'
09. Fever
10. Devil's Child
11. Prisoner Of Your Eyes [Recorded during the 1985 Turbo sessions] [2001 re-release bonus]
12. Devil's Child [Live at Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, Tennessee in December 12, 1982] [2001 re-release bonus]

Back with the real NWOBHM sound Judas Priest kick the metal ass again. (They did too with British Steel, but I didn't like that album, it's predecessor and successor are way better). Still rocking but this time no real weak song, only the title track falls slightly behind compared to the rest of the material, though the solo is very cool.

Beginning with my all time Priest favorite 'The Hellion / Electric Eye', which of course belong together but they are mentioned seperately on the back cover and they make 2 tracks on the cd, not one. What else is there left to say? Difficult to tell, but this album is so full of atmosphere and energy that it is my favorite Priest album, I like it even better than the famous Painkiller, which is in general said to be Judas Priest's best work until today. But 'Screaming' is not so full of aggression, 'Painkiller' sounds more like a chainsaw massacre.
It is even hard to divide this album into favorite songs and generally good song, but if I should I'd say favs are besides Hellion/ Electric Eye: 'Riding On The Wind', 'Bloodstone' You've Got Another Thing Coming', 'Fever' and 'Devil's Child'. 'Prisoner Of Your Eyes' is one of, I guess, three different versions of this ballad, later also recorded by Halford on the 'Live Insurrection' album as studio track.

As mentioned I think this album is Judas Priest's best album, though I like 'Painkiller' I kind of prefer their classic sound of 'Screaming For Vengeance'. If you say Painkiller is the best you should at least consider this one being second best. It is a masterpiece indeed, filled with classics, filled with rocking NWOBHM.

Written by Pierre Tombale | 15.12.2003

Comments

Comments: 26   Visited by: 222 users
21.11.2006 - 02:23
danzig111
Account deleted
Well, I think it is a sort of good album But as an album, I liked 'British Steel' better . This only has a few good songs I like. This may come as a shock, but I am not fond of the 2 opening tracks
31.12.2006 - 11:44
Rating: 10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 21.11.2006 at 02:23

Well, I think it is a sort of good album But as an album, I liked 'British Steel' better . This only has a few good songs I like. This may come as a shock, but I am not fond of the 2 opening tracks

this is unheard of lol. as for the album, i think it's not their best, or second best, but it's a nice work. definetely not the best, but it's not bad either. sad wings of destiny, british steel, painkiller...are just better.
01.01.2007 - 01:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This might be my favorite Judas Priest album. Every song on this album is great...Riding on the Wind is bonerific.
19.02.2007 - 13:46
Bear88
Account deleted
I had this album a while ago, but everytime i listening to it i just got tired and reverted back to the good old days.
especially now since i've recently aquired rocka rolla and sad wings.
But i've never really liked the newish sort of priest, like defenders of the faith what a yawn fest (for me) and it's the same with this, saying that it still has some great songs, but as an albu, i grow tired.
18.05.2007 - 18:09
Lord TJ

If you guys love this album, check out the DVD "Live Vengeance 82"

Its my favorite concert DVD!
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
28.07.2007 - 23:52
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
hmmm i really love "Bloodstone" nice guitar work
21.01.2008 - 21:49
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I really enjoyed this album, I cant agree whether or not its there best album, since it is my first Priest album (but wont be my last), though it very well could be, just great.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.03.2008 - 01:50
Wintermute

I love this album. It's a lot more commercial then most of their works, but it has some classic Priest tracks.

The Hellion/Electric Eye, Bloodstone, Take These Chains, Pain and Pleasure and You've Got Another Thing Coming are all fantastic Judas Priest songs.

A lot of fans don't like this album, I've discovered but it is a great album, nontheless.
----
Life is a waste of time.... time is a waste of life.
29.03.2008 - 15:21
Samuel550
Account deleted
WHAT? This is far better then British Steel, that album was just a poor execution of commercial fillers. Screaming For Vengeance is a classic, period. Stop concerning yourselfs with comparisons of they're early albums and recognise the metal masterpiece that this album truly is let alone the fact it was released the same year as the mighty Number of The Beast by Iron Maiden which was only two singles (Run To The Hills and the title track) ahead of being better then Screaming.
29.03.2008 - 17:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 29.03.2008 at 15:21

WHAT? This is far better then British Steel, that album was just a poor execution of commercial fillers.

Exactly. British Steel is almost on a par with Turbo and Point Of Entry when talking about commerciality. And the original British Steel release has probably two of the worst JP tracks ever on it (United, a football club will even be ashamed to have such a song as anthem, and You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise) but on the remastered re-release they even manged to surpass those two songs with the utter crapfest called Red, White & Blue.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.04.2008 - 20:22
Samuel550
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.03.2008 at 17:27

Written by Guest on 29.03.2008 at 15:21

WHAT? This is far better then British Steel, that album was just a poor execution of commercial fillers.

Exactly. British Steel is almost on a par with Turbo and Point Of Entry when talking about commerciality. And the original British Steel release has probably two of the worst JP tracks ever on it (United, a football club will even be ashamed to have such a song as anthem, and You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise) but on the remastered re-release they even manged to surpass those two songs with the utter crapfest called Red, White & Blue.

Sorry I'm a bit late on this, but I have to say that I actually think Point of Entry is better then British Steel and probably not nearly as terrible as Turbo, which I do have in my Priest collection but have never listened to it nore wan't to since I know it's bad rep already, but I'll be bold and ask should listen to it anyway for the sake of history?

Anyways, songs like 'Heading Out to The Highway', Desert Planes' and 'Solar Angels' do more for me then any of the songs on British Steel bar 'Metal Gods'. PoE also has a better bonus track.
14.04.2008 - 20:52
Baz Anderson

forget the reputation "Turbo" has - I think it is a great album.. obviously it is different to the usual metallic Judas Priest - but it can be appreciated for what it is
25.06.2008 - 02:10
IronBlackZepp

This is better then Brittish Steal in almost every way, in fact it almost sounds like a different band. I still like Brittish Steal though, its just not as great as this.
10.10.2008 - 11:33
Murder

wow this album is a fucking Judas classic... simply I love it!

one of their heaviest albums I think... I love Electric eye and Riding on the wind...

awesome!
10.10.2008 - 13:48
Rating: 8
Elio
Red Nightmare
Surely not a 10 in my book, Sad Wings and Painkiller are way better.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.11.2008 - 08:21
Metalbound7

9.9? IMO its 10, this album is the meaning of perfection, Riffs, Rithm base, Energy, Power, and Halford's Voice are Huge in this album and doesn´t matter how old is this album all the songs still sounds like if they have been recorded yesterday, if you have to resume Heavy Metal in 3 songs Devil's Child, You've Got Another Thing Comin' and Electric Eye can do that work just fine.
26.03.2009 - 03:00
Mountain King
K i K o
When I first heard this album especially the first 3 songs i couldn't stop listening to it. Even the bonus track is amazing. This album was a milestone in 1982 with Scorpions' Blackout
17.05.2009 - 15:17
Rating: 6
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I don't like this one... only songs 2 and 7 sound good. pain and pleasure ssssucks...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
27.11.2009 - 19:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Good album i'd give it a 7.5 or an 8
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.03.2010 - 06:10
JohnWayneGacy666

Written by Boxcar Willy on 27.11.2009 at 19:05

YOU are insane this is Judas priest not iron maiden priest invented most of what we called heavy metal today in the mid 70s GOOD ALBUM? HAA very funny this is a awesome album most priest albums are perfect fuking ownage this is 10 out of 10 idiot
29.03.2010 - 17:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by JohnWayneGacy666 on 29.03.2010 at 06:10

YOU are insane this is Judas priest not iron maiden priest invented most of what we called heavy metal today in the mid 70s GOOD ALBUM? HAA very funny this is a awesome album most priest albums are perfect fuking ownage this is 10 out of 10 idiot

dude calm down! iron maiden and metallica made metal not judas priest besides power metal sucks!!!!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.04.2010 - 11:19
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by JohnWayneGacy666 on 29.03.2010 at 06:10

You should learn punctuation before you insult others. Anyways, I agree -
10.04.2010 - 17:03
I_Die_Often

This may come as a shock, but I am not fond of the 2 opening tracks

DUDE! Those are the best two IMO, and they NEED to be played together!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
10.04.2010 - 21:22
soadbyob
Account deleted
Written by I_Die_Often on 10.04.2010 at 17:03

This may come as a shock, but I am not fond of the 2 opening tracks

DUDE! Those are the best two IMO, and they NEED to be played together!

Agreed, best tracks on the album
21.07.2011 - 01:47
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted

You didn't like The Hellion/Electric Eye??? That's your opinion after all...
11.09.2017 - 11:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I disagree whit 1th statement, part of review, British Steel is much better album even not their best, as media and some of people including my friends and me back in a days thought. But this is way below priest level, even rock a rolla is better, being not heavy album as this, still its better. Maybe weakest whit Rob? I will tell later
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 13535 | This month: 20