Metal Storm logo
First examples of songs in different genres

This is a list about what I think could be the first examples of songs in different genres. If you disagree with something or have any opinion of first example of any other genre, just write a comment.

Created by: Aristarchos | 19.09.2012

1. Roy Brown
Good Rockin' Tonight (1947): Probably as far back as rock & roll can be traced.
2. The Kinks - Kinks
You Really Got Me (1964): This is I think the most common suggestion of the first hard rock song, while it could be consider a bit of a stretch..
3. Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum
Summertime Blues (1968): This is what I consider the first heavy metal song ever. It is a cover of an Eddie Cochran song. You could still hear a blues element, but it is so much heavier than anything before, and I definitely think it could be considered metal. I think this song is more metal than anything released in the 60's, including anything by Led Zeppelin.
4. Love Sculpture
Farandole (1969): The first neoclassical song ever.
5. The 31 Flavors - Hair
Distortions of Darkness (1969): The first doom metal song ever.
6. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Paranoid (1970): This is the first song that really sounds as traditional heavy metal.
7. Deep Purple - Machine Head
Highway Star (1972): This is often considered as the first speed metal song ever. Probably the only Deep Purple song I would accept as metal.
8. King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two (1973). Could be the first example of both progressive metal and avant-gade metal.
9. Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
Stone Cold Crazy (1974): This is often considered as the first thrash metal song ever. Although the vocals sounds very bluesy, the guitar riff sounds very thrashy. Black Sabbath ripped this riff off for their "Symptom Of The Universe" one year later. Metallica has mentioned this song as a big influence for their sound, and they have also covered it. This song was written and first performed live as early as in 1969, and therefore also pre-dates "Highway Star" as the first speed metal song, but I go with the release dates here, and I don't know how it sounded in 1969. I think this was the most thrashy song of the entire 70's.
10. Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'N' Roll
Kill The King (1978): This is often considered as the first power metal song ever, although some people would go back to Rainbow's "Stargazer". "Kill The King" is the fastest and most metallic song Rainbow has done.
11. Venom - Welcome To Hell
(1981) This album (I can't pick one specific song) starts what became black metal. Many people refuses to call Venom black metal, and wants to call Bathory the first pure black metal, but since Venom came up with the term, I think they have more right than anyone else to use it, and there is no other term that could describe Venom's music, since I don't think it's really thrash, it is too dark for it, and I think not aggressive enough. I don't think black metal has to be equally aggressive, only dark.
12. Golgotha (UK) - Dangerous Games
Dangerous Games (1984): Thin Lizzy's "Emerald" from 1976 was suggested among the comments as the first folk metal song ever, and it has somoe folk influences, but I choose Golgotha's "Dangerous Games" from 1984 as the first pure folk metal song. Of course other bands too like Led Zeppelin had earlier had folk influences, but they didn't really mixed it in metal, and also Black Sabbath, but only on instrumentals which didn't have a metal element.
13. Bathory - Bathory
(1984): While people claim that "Welcome to Hell" with Venom may be the first black metal album, because of its lyrics and speed, I think this album is the first that qualifies to that genre, although some may argue they more developed that sound with subsequent two albums.
14. Possessed - Seven Churches
(1985) This album is often considered the first example of death metal. Many people say this isn't more death metal than Venom is black metal, and states Death's "Scream Bloody Gore" album as the first example of death metal, but, just like in the case of Venom, Possessed came up with the term, and I think they have their right to use it. (I'm not sure if they ever have used the term to describe their music, or if they only named a song so; perhaps someone else here have better knowledges in that.)
15. Lone Rager - Metal Rap
Metal RAPsody (1985): This is, to my knowledge, the earliest example of rap metal. Lone Rager only released this single.
16. Melvins - Six Songs
(1986): This EP marks the start of the sludge metal genre.
17. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
(1986): The first epic doom metal album.
18. Celtic Frost - Into The Pandemonium
Mesmerized, Rex Irae etc. (1987) . While this alsbum is often considered the first full avant-garde metal album (while earlier individual tracks could be argued have existed), some of the tracks merits as some of the first gothic metal songs. First gothic metal album, could be argued being "Necrospirituals" by Stillborn.
19. Dream Death - Journey Into Mystery
(1987): This is the start of the death doom genre, although sometimes also labelled as thrash doom, or death thrash. It has an element of all three genres.
20. Napalm Death - Scum
(1987): I chose this as the first grindcore album, although Repulsion already had released "Horrified" as demo in 1986, but that album wasn't officially released until 1989. Both bands had earlier released demos which I haven't heard. The discussion could go on who of them that really could be considered the true pioneers of grindcore.
21. Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Blood Fire Death (1988): This song is often considered as the first example of viking metal. Bands like Legend and Heavy Load had used viking themes long time before Bathory, but these bands were musically more heavy metal than viking metal, and I have no idea whether or not Bathory was influenced by those bands.
22. Atheist - Piece Of Time
(1989) This album is the start of the technical death metal sub-genre.
23. Believer - Sanity Obscure
Dies Irea (Day Of Wrath) (1990): I think this could be considered as the first pure symphonic metal song. Of course Celtic Frost has experimented with symphonics since 1985, and especially on their 1987 album "Into The Pandemonium" and the song "Rex Irae (Requiem)", but (to my knowledge) none had taken the symphonics so far before Believer.
24. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
(1990): I think this album marks the start of the groove metal genre, although it is their next album "Vulgar Display Of Power" they would develop it full out. Perhaps other thrash bands had some form of groove earlier, and if you have any suggestion of a song that could be called groove metal earlier, you can suggest me in the comments.
25. Earth - Extra - Capsular Extraction
(1991): This EP marks the start of drone metal as genre. This is the same year as Melvins released the album "Bullhead" with the song "Boris", which would give name to a Japanese drone metal band.
26. Suffocation - Human Waste
(1991): This EP marks the start of the brutal death metal sub-genre.
27. Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
In Death's Sleep (1991): I chose this song as the start of the melodic death metal sub-genre. Exactly where to draw the line to where something becomes melodic is of course impossible, and of course 80's death metal too had some forms of melodies.
28. Burzum - Burzum
(1992): This album marks the start of the atmospheric black metal sub-genre.
29. Master's Hammer - The Jilemnice Occultist
(1992): This album is the first example of symphonic black metal.
30. Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens
(1994): This album is often seen as the start of the funeral doom metal genre.
31. Korn - Korn
(1994): The first nu metal album.
32. Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve
(1995): Has been suggested as the first math metal album.
33. Meshuggah - Chaosphere
(1998): Has been suggested as the first djent album.
34. Alcest - Le Secret
(2005): I think this EP is the start of blackgaze.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Aristarchos ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 36   Visited by: 134 users
20.09.2012 - 01:17
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
There's a big difference between "Genre-defining" and first song of a genre, which is all this list is comprised of
20.09.2012 - 04:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I agree with Lemon, this is a pretty good compilation of songs that were the first in their genres, and some of them (like Black Sabbath or Kill The King) even went on to become genre staples.

But just as one example, I think Slayer's "Angel of Death" is more defining for thrash metal than "Stone Cold Crazy" or "Ogre Battle" or whatever other 70s song.
20.09.2012 - 10:42
Aristarchos
Written by Alex F on 20.09.2012 at 01:17

There's a big difference between "Genre-defining" and first song of a genre, which is all this list is comprised of

Yes, you're right. I have changed the title.
20.09.2012 - 14:31
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Aristarchos on 20.09.2012 at 10:42

Then have your first thumbs up
21.09.2012 - 09:35
Aristarchos
Written by Alex F on 20.09.2012 at 14:31

Written by Aristarchos on 20.09.2012 at 10:42

Then have your first thumbs up

Thanks for that one!
24.09.2012 - 13:45
Aristarchos
Written by Valentin B on 20.09.2012 at 04:18

I agree with Lemon, this is a pretty good compilation of songs that were the first in their genres, and some of them (like Black Sabbath or Kill The King) even went on to become genre staples.

But just as one example, I think Slayer's "Angel of Death" is more defining for thrash metal than "Stone Cold Crazy" or "Ogre Battle" or whatever other 70s song.

Although I think you're mostly right, I think Slayer is a little bit extreme to really define thrash. I think Exodus is a better definition of that genre.
08.10.2012 - 13:03
Aristarchos
I haven't found what could be considered as the first song of industrial metal or metalcore. Anyone who has a suggestion?
13.11.2012 - 20:53
Aristarchos
Other genres I would be glad to find suggestions of first examples in includes grindcore, sludge, stoner, post and groove metal.

I guess grindcore is between Repulsion and Napalm Death. Napalm Death released the first grindcore album "Scum" in 1987, but at that time Repulsion's "Horrified" was already recorded and released as a demo in 1986, although it wasn't officially released until 1989. Both Napalm Death and Repulsion had released demos earlier, which I haven't heard, so I can't really decide who of them that could be considered to be first.

With sludge metal, Melvins is what I most often see mentioned as the first band in the genre, but I'm not sure if any earlier songs could be said to belong to that genre. I'm not really into sludge, and I'm not really sure of the genre definition.

With stoner metal I often see Kyuss and Sleep as the originators, but the genre has a long history. Sir Lord Baltimoore is often mentioned as the godfathers of stoner rock, and they were I guess on the border to metal, but perhaps not over the border, at least they were very heavy for being 1970, although it still contained a big blues element. I personally love at least the title track on "Kingdom Come". Many people would go back even to Blue Cheer to name the start of stoner rock. I included "Summertime Blues" on the list as the first heavy metal song, and I guess that is the only song by them that could be considered metal, but I'm not sure if that could be called stoner. I'm not really sure of what the true definition of stoner really is. A lot of bands labelled as stoner have quite different sounds, and I guess it's not enough to have a blues element to be called stoner. Some Black Sabbath songs could perhaps also be called stoner.

With post metal I guess Neurosis "Through Silver And Blood" could be called the first album in the genre, but I'm not sure if there are any songs earlier than that that falls under that genre.

With groove metal I guess Pantera usually is considered as the first band in the genre, but I'm not sure if there were any other thrash songs that were groovy enough to belong to the genre, or which of Pantera's songs that belongs to the genre. I don't listen to that kind of music. Groove metal is the opposite to what I love about metal.
13.11.2012 - 22:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Aristarchos on 13.11.2012 at 20:53

With groove metal I guess Pantera usually is considered as the first band in the genre, but I'm not sure if there were any other thrash songs that were groovy enough to belong to the genre, or which of Pantera's songs that belongs to the genre. I don't listen to that kind of music. Groove metal is the opposite to what I love about metal.

Some people claim Pantera copied Exhorder, which tbh I find ludicrous
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.11.2012 - 16:08
Aristarchos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.11.2012 at 22:42

Written by Aristarchos on 13.11.2012 at 20:53

I haven't heard Exhorder so I can't tell, and I will probably not check them out for a while if they sounds like Pantera.
14.11.2012 - 16:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Aristarchos on 14.11.2012 at 16:08

I haven't heard Exhorder so I can't tell, and I will probably not check them out for a while if they sounds like Pantera.

Slaughter In The Vatican sounds nothing like Pantera and is a great album.
The Law is a lot weaker and more in the Pantera vein of thrash.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.11.2012 - 17:42
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick

I've never heard that before... I hardly hear any distinct similarities/copies between their music, besides the obvious basic thrash elements
14.11.2012 - 17:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Alex F on 14.11.2012 at 17:42

I've never heard that before... I hardly hear any distinct similarities/copies between their music, besides the obvious basic thrash elements

Exactly.

That Pantera and Exhorder were close friends especially Exhorder with Phil does NOT mean Pantera ripped them off.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.11.2012 - 17:33
Aristarchos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.11.2012 at 16:12

So how does Slaughter In The Vatican sound? Is it more classic thrash?
15.11.2012 - 17:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Aristarchos on 15.11.2012 at 17:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.11.2012 at 16:12

So how does Slaughter In The Vatican sound? Is it more classic thrash?

a bit along the lines of older Slayer
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.11.2012 - 19:21
ANGEL REAPER
On BM i have an opinion : Venom did made the term Black Metal but none till mid 80's used it do describe their music (nor what Bathory and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost did) ;also stylistically their sound is not the first real example of what we call black metal ... it would be something from Bathhory's Under The Sign of Black Mark

So if you refer to Venom as first band that made black metal (as description of genre) you are right but if you think about the sound i think that Bathory also have the place here ... i think that they both could be in this list as for BM goes...but its your list so do what you like man ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.11.2012 - 20:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 15.11.2012 at 19:21

On BM i have an opinion : Venom did made the term Black Metal but none till mid 80's used it do describe their music (nor what Bathory and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost did) ;also stylistically their sound is not the first real example of what we call black metal ... it would be something from Bathhory's Under The Sign of Black Mark

So if you refer to Venom as first band that made black metal (as description of genre) you are right but if you think about the sound i think that Bathory also have the place here ... i think that they both could be in this list as for BM goes...but its your list so do what you like man ...

Venom did refer to their music as black metal as did Mercyful Fate. And Bathory started as a putre Venom rip-off/worship band.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.11.2012 - 03:39
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.11.2012 at 20:48

Venom did refer to their music as black metal as did Mercyful Fate. And Bathory started as a putre Venom rip-off/worship band.

so did Celtic Frost since 87... my point was that if you stylistically speak about BM sound than Bathory's Under The Sign of Black Mark is the first real black metal that is like one we know today...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
17.11.2012 - 13:52
Aristarchos

Since you're asking for it, I could add it to the list. But the same discussion could be held about Possessed vs. Death.
19.11.2012 - 14:43
Aristarchos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.11.2012 at 17:56

Written by Alex F on 14.11.2012 at 17:42

Exactly.

That Pantera and Exhorder were close friends especially Exhorder with Phil does NOT mean Pantera ripped them off.

But do you think Exhorder had a big influence on the groove metal genre? I'm thinking of adding them to my other list with most influential metal bands.
19.11.2012 - 21:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Aristarchos on 19.11.2012 at 14:43

But do you think Exhorder had a big influence on the groove metal genre? I'm thinking of adding them to my other list with most influential metal bands.

imo they didn't/ Even though forum keyboard revisionist warriors tend to disagree. But then again they weren't there during the days when Exhorder was around and just a marginal band at the time
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.11.2012 - 17:44
Aristarchos

I just saw that you had thumbed up my list. Thanks for that!

But also, if you don't accept Venom's music as black metal, how would you describe them? Many people call them thrash, but to my ears they don't sound like thrash. They're too dark for being thrash and I guess not really aggressive enough. To my ears "Stone Cold Crazy" sounds more thrash than any Venom song. I call Venom something like black speed/NWOBHM. I don't think there is a way to describe their music without using the term black in it, and they definitely had a big influence for the genre, early Bathory was only a continuation on their sound. With Mercyful Fate I have more difficulties to really hear the black metal part. The same could be said about Celtic Frost, although Hellhammer was very black, I would say more than Venom, but Celtic Frost drifted away from that sound.
20.11.2012 - 21:50
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Aristarchos on 20.11.2012 at 17:44

I just saw that you had thumbed up my list. Thanks for that!

But also, if you don't accept Venom's music as black metal, how would you describe them? Many people call them thrash, but to my ears they don't sound like thrash. They're too dark for being thrash and I guess not really aggressive enough. To my ears "Stone Cold Crazy" sounds more thrash than any Venom song. I call Venom something like black speed/NWOBHM. I don't think there is a way to describe their music without using the term black in it, and they definitely had a big influence for the genre, early Bathory was only a continuation on their sound. With Mercyful Fate I have more difficulties to really hear the black metal part. The same could be said about Celtic Frost, although Hellhammer was very black, I would say more than Venom, but Celtic Frost drifted away from that sound.

well the entire "first wave" consists of bands that play different styles ...its like i wrote Bathory was the one band that sounded more similar to what we know as second wave than other bands.Venom for me will always be speed/NWOBHM with catchy lyrics and Hellhammer is very punk-ish blackened thrash ...Celtic Frost was something like blackened thrash in their first two albums but yes they drifted away from that sound really fast ...
----
03.12.2012 - 15:12
Aristarchos
I changed the first folk metal song, since I found an earlier example from 1984. I also found a very obscure song from 1976 which I suggest as the first industrial metal song ever, although I guess that choice may be controversial (if you have any better suggestion, please suggest me). I also added suggestions for the first grindcore, groove, sludge, drone and post metal songs/albums. If you don't agree with all these, then give me better suggestions.
03.12.2012 - 15:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Aristarchos on 03.12.2012 at 15:12

I changed the first folk metal song, since I found an earlier example from 1984.

you could go even earlier than that by going over Thin Lizzy's discorgaphy.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.12.2012 - 15:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Emerald by Lizzy is a fully metal song which could qualify as folk metal and stems from 1976
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.12.2012 - 11:02
Aristarchos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.12.2012 at 15:46

Emerald by Lizzy is a fully metal song which could qualify as folk metal and stems from 1976

Thanks for your suggestion!

I never really thought of Thin Lizzy as heavy metal, but I could agree with you on that song. How many songs has Thin Lizzy that could be counted as metal?

Emerald has some folk influences, although they aren't as significantly as on Golgotha's ep from 1984, and most folk metal bands today, but for me that is only something positive. I think most of the modern folk metal bands overdo the influences and only get boring, but on Emerald it really works, and I think Golgotha works too.

But I will switch the folk metal song in the list.
05.12.2012 - 11:10
Aristarchos
I know Thunder And Lightning is quite metallic, but I was more thinking about 70's songs.
26.12.2012 - 13:59
Aristarchos
I have started to include starts of sub-genres. In most cases I chose a full album,since I don't know any specific song that have been earlier. I was thinking of adding an album from the djent genre. I know that Meshuggah started that genre, but since that isn't any music I'm a fan of, I'm not sure from which album Meshuggah could be called djent.
26.12.2012 - 17:36
Aristarchos
Also, I still haven't found what could be considered as the first example of metalcore, no matter we're talking melodic metalcore or older forms of metalcore, or crossover thrash. I'm not into those genres at all. Please, suggest me.

Hits total: 5243 | This month: 16