Metal Storm logo
Skagos

20.09.2012 - 20:33
Oaken
Hipster
Skagos is a Canadian atmospheric black metal band founded by Ray Hawes and Isaac Symondes back in 2007. Since then, they have released one full-length, three split EPs, one EP and a single which came out last year. They're often categorized with Cascadian black metal bands like Wolves In The Throne Room, and I think they quite fit there with their ethereal, atmospheric sound. Their full length, Ast, features some "calmer" black metal, a massive use of acoustic guitars and a very ritualistic vibe. It's quite safe to say that the atmosphere is very Agalloch-like on Ast. The single, Anarchic, is quite different. The guitars build up an impenetrable wall of sound with crushing drums, improved clean vocals and great textures. I've also heard that their split with Panopticon is quite good, but I still haven't heard it.

----
In that case, man is only air as well.
21.09.2012 - 01:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I remeber songs from Ast album, I remeber this band now, I was forgot about it after I listened it pretty good one, those songs what you post is great, I wish it wont be so deep in undergroud
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.09.2012 - 05:25
spirit_inblack
harshhead
These guys craft some pretty excellent and magical black metal, even if it is somewhat derivative of this whole Cascadian style of black metal. I just about bought the 2xLP for Ast, but it's pretty expensive for one album for a university student. As for Anarchic, I still need to listen to the full thing (haven't quite found the time, yet).

I recently visited the area which they are from and can say that the landscape is very inspiring, and I can see how their connection with nature developed (aside from just merely seeing pictures of the Cascade region). Vancouver Island has a pretty solid metal scene - Skagos, Iskra, Six Brew Bantha, Conqueror were from there...

Also, you can stream the Skagos/Panopticon split at The Flenser's bandcamp here
21.09.2012 - 22:31
Oaken
Hipster
Written by spirit_inblack on 21.09.2012 at 05:25

These guys craft some pretty excellent and magical black metal, even if it is somewhat derivative of this whole Cascadian style of black metal. I just about bought the 2xLP for Ast, but it's pretty expensive for one album for a university student. As for Anarchic, I still need to listen to the full thing (haven't quite found the time, yet).

I recently visited the area which they are from and can say that the landscape is very inspiring, and I can see how their connection with nature developed (aside from just merely seeing pictures of the Cascade region). Vancouver Island has a pretty solid metal scene - Skagos, Iskra, Six Brew Bantha, Conqueror were from there...

Also, you can stream the Skagos/Panopticon split at The Flenser's bandcamp here

Thanks a lot for the link. I've been looking for the split for two days!
----
21.09.2012 - 23:41
Oaken
Hipster
I've just found an interesting fact that the name "Skagos" comes from George R.R. Martin's A Song Of Fire And Ice:
http://www.nhr-records.com/vftu_inter-skagos.html
----