Metal Storm logo
"I only like their first album"

Original post

Posted by Iskander, 24.09.2012 - 15:02
"I only like their first album"

I'm sure most people here have heard others say this or even said it themselves countless times, but is there actually any truth to it? I have a feeling most of the time there isn't, so i checked my collection for bands where i actually only like their first album... and couldn't find a single one! I couldn't even find bands where i like their first album the most, with one exception: Decapitated.

So my question is the following: In your opinion, wich bands had their best performance on their first album? (exclude bands that have released less than 3 albums)
30.09.2012 - 04:50
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Guest on 27.09.2012 at 19:29

Written by enumaelis on 27.09.2012 at 02:06

Elvenking - Heathenreel, clearly

The first post I agree with on this thread

It's still their best, but I also loved Wyrd. Then it was all way downhill. The rest were kind of OK.. fun-ish... but nothing remotely special. Just the "name" of the band and that's it.

HOWEVER, the newest album, Era, is really impressing me. It's like they found some of that old awesomeness buried under a rock somewhere and are putting it to use. Fucking finally.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
30.09.2012 - 05:15
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
The only band I think that about is French progressive metal band Spheric Universe Experience with their first two releases. Their debut "Mental Torments" is possibly one of the best progressive metal albums I have ever heard personally, and their next album "Anima" is around the same level, if not better. However with their third album "Unreal", the band started losing it for me. This album is not terrible, but they were starting to lose the elements that made the first two albums so good, and it seemed like the band was going downhill from there. Now, their newest album "The New Eve" was just released and I consider it to be pretty awful and disappointing. They seemed less inclined in wanting to release the beautiful symphonic progressive metal they did before, and went into a more commercial, poppy sort of metal. That's just how I feel.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
30.09.2012 - 07:28
Susan
Smeghead
Oooh: The 3rd and the Mortal.

The Sorrow EP followed by their debut full-length Tears Laid In Earth are all I like.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
30.09.2012 - 19:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 30.09.2012 at 07:28

Oooh: The 3rd and the Mortal.

The Sorrow EP followed by their debut full-length Tears Laid In Earth are all I like.

I forgot this one to I agree whit you

@gyt who mentioned Emperor you're wrong all albums is good
Vintersorg EP and 1th yes when theys ing in swedish about nature and so non, I hate when band turned more ptrpg and start write lyrics about stars but now band came beck to roots so its wrong afan say only 1th
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.10.2012 - 15:06
ANGEL REAPER

Well for me that would be Moon spell 's Wolfheart and Amorphis's Tales of Thousand lakes (although i like Elegy too)....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
13.10.2012 - 23:07
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Metallica
15.10.2012 - 11:55
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 14.10.2012 at 00:38

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.10.2012 at 15:06

...Amorphis's Tales of Thousand lakes (although i like Elegy too)....

Tales is the second album.

never mind...its like one album out of ...how much? 10? first ...second ...there aint no difference
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
16.10.2012 - 08:28
Branzig

As far as Pig Destroyer goes...I only really enjoy their first release.
----
In Grind We Crust
16.10.2012 - 20:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Branzig on 16.10.2012 at 08:28

As far as Pig Destroyer goes...I only really enjoy their first release.

I'm in the extreme opposite side of the spectrum Not only do I love all their releases but I still feel they are the best grind band I've ever heard to the point I think it's unfair for other grind bands I love to be compared with PD since PD is in their own private league.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.10.2012 - 19:59
Nyoink

Definitely Cathedral.... the first album was a masterpiece with those vocals... the others were just ok...
10.03.2013 - 03:31
skrog1

The Haunted
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
28.06.2017 - 09:36
Frosst

Korn's first album was the only good one IMO, I also prefer Bloodbath's first album.
----
Favourite bands:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls064836793/

Favourite artists:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls064836309/
28.06.2017 - 09:37
HemisphereofWar

Dio Holy Diver
----
See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently, like rain.
13.07.2017 - 22:01
nikarg

"I only like the first album of":
Mayhem (De Mysteriis of course, Deathcrush being an EP). Enslaved (their debut is the only album I still listen to). Autopsy (Mental Funeral lacks DiGiorgio among other things). I guess there are more but I can't think of any right now.
17.07.2017 - 03:49
Blackface

Kataklysm - Sorcery and Bill Withers' Just As I Am. However, I am partial to Withers's Still Bill, which was his second album. Bill looked as sexy as ever on the artwork of Still Bill.
17.07.2017 - 05:01
VIG
Account deleted
Written by nikarg on 13.07.2017 at 22:01

Mayhem

I'm sorry, but I cannot understand how someone can say they only like Mayhem's debut. Yes it was the most important and influential of their albums, but their later albums such as Grand Declaration Of War, Ordo Ad Chao, and Esoteric Warfare are also excellent. I hope you've checked those albums out.
17.07.2017 - 08:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Machinehead.

Loved their first, second mediocre, third i gave away after one spin.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.07.2017 - 12:13
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens
Abyssic Hate - Suicidal Emotions
Disembowelment - Transcendence Into The Peripheral
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
17.07.2017 - 16:01
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Maco on 17.07.2017 at 12:13

Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens
Abyssic Hate - Suicidal Emotions
Disembowelment - Transcendence Into The Peripheral

Yeah, I was gonna post those along with these:
Demilich - Nespithe
Lurker Of Chalice - Lurker Of Chalice
Ved Buens Ende - Written In Waters
Weakling - Dead As Dreams
17.07.2017 - 21:36
nikarg

Written by Guest on 17.07.2017 at 05:01

Written by nikarg on 13.07.2017 at 22:01

Mayhem

I'm sorry, but I cannot understand how someone can say they only like Mayhem's debut. Yes it was the most important and influential of their albums, but their later albums such as Grand Declaration Of War, Ordo Ad Chao, and Esoteric Warfare are also excellent. I hope you've checked those albums out.

I have checked them out. I do find Grand Declaration Of War interesting, even though it was a shock for me back at the time. Still, I certainly don't find it excellent. I haven't paid much attention to the other two you mention tbh. Gave each of them a couple of spins when they came out and they both fell out of rotation for a reason I guess. Generally, I like my black metal tr00 and cvlt, except if it is something extra special and these albums aren't (for me at least).
20.07.2017 - 01:37
JorkArminiv

Metallica..
26.07.2017 - 03:45
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Kobra And The Lotus, maybe? I didn't think much of their 2nd and 3rd albums. Giving 4 a chance, but hopes aren't high.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
31.07.2017 - 06:11
Kennoth

I have some of those. Drowning Pool being the best example. Ever since Dave died they have had a revolving door of other vocalists, and they're so nondescript I can't name any.

The Foreshadowing - while other albums are not *bad*, the first album is just a masterpiece.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
04.09.2017 - 22:24
TeachNThrash

Because it hasn't been listed: Immolation. I have enjoyed, at least to some degree, all of their material, but Dawn of Possession is the one I keep coming back to the most.

I'll also say Entombed. They never came close to matching Left Hand Path.