04. Godless
05. Vision
06. Sentient Disease
07. The Quantum Apocalypse
08. Sickening Dogma
09. Illusion Aesthetic
10. Prototype
11. Archetype

So? Plenty of you getting bored with melodic death or the Gothenburg style? Tired of gimmicky folk instruments or the good cop, bad cop vocals and think the "progressive" tag in front means too much meandering around? Enter Bloodshot Dawn, a bunch of UK youngsters, and perhaps your ears' new best friend.

In recent years, some melodic death acts attempt to get ahead of the pack by adding a lot of those "soft-heavy" alternating approach to varying degrees of success; some try to be thrashy, but that got old pretty quickly. In a sub-genre of music with a well-documented rise in popularity to the point of oversaturation, standing out is not the easiest, particularly when there's so much before that one can be compared against. However Bloodshot Dawn impress, especially considering how natural it sounds. Natural as in it feels like this is where this style of music should be heading because what it really does is combine a lot of the best aspects of death metal. The typical (but always welcome) death metal wall-of-sound and the thrashy aggression are there, so are the more mid-paced chugging grooves, riffs that won't sound out of place in a brutal death or technical death album are also present and correct. Then comes the killer melodic leads that lace everything up together into a loud and tight package that's more explosive than your girlfriend on aphrodisiacs tearing up your bed.

If you used to like melodic death metal, but have since moved on to its more traditional / br00tal cousins, this is probably the head turner you've been searching for. If you are still an ardent fan of the sub-genre, this self-titled debut (available for streaming on bandcamp) should mean sheer badassery to your ears? and plenty of sore neck muscles.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 24.09.2012 by Ag Fox loves listening to music but is far from being a prolific writer. This corner just shows how territorial he is.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 304 users
24.09.2012 - 21:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
I remember watching their videos for "Vision" and "Godless" and thinking they sound promising and that I should get the album. Not so sure I would compare to melodeath or gothenburg styles though, strikes me more as being death metal with some melodic moments and definitely leaning more towards the technical side of the death metal spectrum with some progressive tendencies in the solos (a la Christian Muenzner and Ron Jarzombek). I would compare more to a band like Allegaeon or even older Arch Enemy but also say they have a tendency to be heavier than those 2 bands more often than not.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

25.09.2012 - 05:47
Rating: 9
Ag Fox
Angel No More
It's definitelt technical, but there are so much of those melodic moments as opposed to scattered around sparsely I think it's justified to call it melodeath.
----
loves 小巫
25.09.2012 - 05:56
Void Eater
Account deleted
Seen this album get reviewed on a few other metal sites, good to see. These guys deserve to be the next big thing (and by big I mean getting low billing on a minor metal fest and maybe opening for Meshuggah on select tour dates).
25.09.2012 - 09:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Ag Fox on 25.09.2012 at 05:47

It's definitelt technical, but there are so much of those melodic moments as opposed to scattered around sparsely I think it's justified to call it melodeath.

Yea I decided to go back and listen again after I posted that cuz I haven't listened to the album in several months and I had forgotten that there are quite a few melodic moments in the album. After I discovered them I got the album, jammed it a half dozen times and then Troy convinced me to check out Abominable Putridity which threw me into a full on BDM binge which lasted for a couple months and then about a month ago my supervisor at work was looking for some good electro/industrial music to get in to so I introduced him to some bands like Combichrist and Miss Construction which then put me into electro/industrial mode for the last month until about a week ago Slayer just seemed like a good idea as I passed by surfing through the Pod. So now that I'm back in metal mode I'm gonna be investing heavily some more time into this album.
----

25.09.2012 - 17:06
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I don't think I've heard an album like this one, as you point out it seems to draw influence from death metal of the technical, thrash and melodic varieties as well as the more straightforward kind. That's one of the best parts about it I think, pretty much guarantees death metal fans enjoyment on some level, that and it's got some great guitar work.
25.09.2012 - 17:36
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by R'Vannith on 25.09.2012 at 17:06

I don't think I've heard an album like this one, as you point out it seems to draw influence from death metal of the technical, thrash and melodic varieties as well as the more straightforward kind. That's one of the best parts about it I think, pretty much guarantees death metal fans enjoyment on some level, that and it's got some great guitar work.

This more recent development in the death metal scene (combining elements of melodeath, thrash and tech death) is definitely awesome. The only other couple bands that come to mind for me that utilize this same idea and are equally entertaining are Allegaeon and Ouroboros.
----

25.09.2012 - 17:43
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by psykometal on 25.09.2012 at 17:36

Written by R'Vannith on 25.09.2012 at 17:06

This more recent development in the death metal scene (combining elements of melodeath, thrash and tech death) is definitely awesome. The only other couple bands that come to mind for me that utilize this same idea and are equally entertaining are Allegaeon and Ourboros.

You know it's odd but I didn't enjoy the latest Allegaeon album (only heard that one from them) nearly as much as this one, Ouroboros was more enjoyable, but I haven't heard their album in a while..
It's definitely a style I can appreciate.
25.09.2012 - 17:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by R'Vannith on 25.09.2012 at 17:43

Same here, I got burned out on melodeath years ago and recently have started becoming burned out a lil by tech death and regular death metal due to the vast numbers of bands that populate those subgenres; like it's kool just to be able to say "I'm in a death metal band" without really caring a lot about substance. This newer thought process for writing death metal that incorporates all the best aspects of those 3 subgenres with a heavy focus on songwriting is definitely a fresh listen.
----

25.09.2012 - 19:03
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by psykometal on 25.09.2012 at 17:51

Written by R'Vannith on 25.09.2012 at 17:43

Same here, I got burned out on melodeath years ago and recently have started becoming burned out a lil by tech death and regular death metal due to the vast numbers of bands that populate those subgenres; like it's kool just to be able to say "I'm in a death metal band" without really caring a lot about substance. This newer thought process for writing death metal that incorporates all the best aspects of those 3 subgenres with a heavy focus on songwriting is definitely a fresh listen.
well said. that's why I felt the need to review this album as it really stood out
----
loves 小巫
25.09.2012 - 20:08
Zealot644

Glad you guys covered BSD. They're certainly one of my recent favorites to listen to, and deserve more coverage.

You need to cover something like Vale of Pnath too though because they're deserving of recognition in the same ways this band is. http://willowtip.bandcamp.com/album/the-prodigal-empire
25.09.2012 - 21:47
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Ag Fox on 25.09.2012 at 19:03

well said. that's why I felt the need to review this album as it really stood out

And I am glad you did otherwise I'd still be listening to Seasons In The Abyss, not that that's a bad thing but I had forgotten about this great band and am now happy to be listening to them again...
----

26.09.2012 - 17:07
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
I honestly think that the awesome solos are what set this album apart from other bands in this genre. Without them it would just be totally generic and get boring fast.
26.09.2012 - 19:00
Rating: 7
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well listening to their album on bandcamp, this seems to be kinda enjoyable, it's good to see that the music is not drowned in mindless guitar solos in each and every song, but still something is missing, maybe it's just too much elements in just one song, but oh well, is just my first listen, maybe it will get better after a couple of spins later.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
26.09.2012 - 23:10
Evil Chip

Heard the album but I'm not impressed, although the solos are great.
27.09.2012 - 19:03
Slayer666

Congrats, Bloodshot Dawn, you just made a guy who's greatly indifferent to melodeath like your album.
These guys could be huge if they keep this up.
05.12.2012 - 18:08
Darkside Momo
Retired
Nice review for a very good album
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"

Hits total: 6329 | This month: 4