Metal Storm logo
Songs with insane drumming

Original post

Posted by Remus, 22.11.2006 - 21:16
Necrophagist's "Stabwound", Deeds of Flesh's "Crown of Souls", Nile's "Sacrifice Unto Sebeck" - what do all these songs have in common? Well, it's insane drumming. Can you recommend me songs with similar drumming? I'm pretty sure Behemoth fans or Cryptopsy fans must know of quite a lot of these. Please don't say stuff like: "anything from band "x" has good drums", post the name of the one song that just rocks your socks from the certain band, maybe why you like it i.e. blasts, double bass. Well, let's hear it!
26.11.2006 - 01:15
Torn to Pieces
Account deleted
Towards Babylon by Behemoth.

That's got some badass drumming.
26.11.2006 - 08:14
-Valhalla-
Remembrance - Gojira
Really nice footwork, everything is so tight in that song, especially the breakdown at the end. Gives me an eargasm.
Painkiller - Death
Intro drums just fucking amazing.
Breathing New Life - Damageplan
Not quite hard to play but Vinnie is fuckin layin it down in that song.
Strapping Young Lad - Oh My Fucking God
Gene Hoglan is a fucking machine.

Written by Mega-Slayer on 23.11.2006 at 03:30

Almost anything with Derek Roddy,Pete Sandoval,Lee Harrison,Mike Smith,Alex Marquez,Tim Yeung,Flo Mounier,Gene Hoglan,Sean Reinart,Charlie Bennante and Dave Lombardo.So I cant quite recommend to many specifics,just check em' out.Well I guess check out Mike Smith on "Infecting The Crypts" totally killer blasting,and Lee Harrison on"Final Creamation".

Derek Roddy is beyond insane. I'm not one for snare blasts, but his double bass lines are just brilliant.
----
A decapitated head could remain conscious for up to 30 seconds after being removed, offering the victim a truly unique perspective on the world for those last few moments.
26.11.2006 - 15:01
Remus
Written by Doc G. on 23.11.2006 at 03:22

or the intro to 'Machtkampf' by Arch Enemy is pretty good.

Compared to Daniel's other work Machtkampf is not that amazing IMO. Plus, the other day i was playing it and some asshole was like: "wow that's Trivium's Pull harder on the strings of your martyr, isn't it?" I was like no, you butt-hole just listen to the whole song.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
26.11.2006 - 15:19
Sunioj
on a side note, the drum intro to pilgrim by arch enemy is amazing.
26.11.2006 - 15:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well, not exactly insane but the intros to rust in peace...polaris by deth and painkiller by priest are the fathers of incredible drum intros imo
27.11.2006 - 02:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Remus on 26.11.2006 at 15:01

Compared to Daniel's other work Machtkampf is not that amazing IMO. Plus, the other day i was playing it and some asshole was like: "wow that's Trivium's Pull harder on the strings of your martyr, isn't it?" I was like no, you butt-hole just listen to the whole song.

hmm, yeah im still trying to figure out that intro though, ive been attempting to play it for some time and i cant quite get it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.11.2006 - 02:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Remus on 26.11.2006 at 15:01

hmm, yeah im still trying to figure out that intro though, ive been attempting to play it for some time and i cant quite get it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.11.2006 - 04:06
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by -Valhalla- on 26.11.2006 at 08:14

Painkiller - Death

More like Painkiller - Judas Priest ... and that song has the exact insane drumming ...
27.11.2006 - 05:50
Fass
Account deleted
Holy shit! Listen to Panzerchrist's new album! JESUS CHRIST, RENO IS FUCKING INSANEEE!!! Don't ask me how the hell he can play that fast, but he's incredible. listen to "The Lean Black Cruiser", you'll piss your pants how fast he's playing...
27.11.2006 - 12:40
lordz
IzZo
Well other than the songs mentioned in this thread I would Say Symbolic the album made by the legands Death has some crazy tech druming...
Glen did go fucking insane on that album....

Ashes Of The Wake from the same titled album by Lamb of God
the track does not display all the talent or constint speed of Chris Adler... but gives you the good drumming rush that would probibly make you smack somthing around you
28.11.2006 - 17:14
Black_Handed
A village idiot
maybe Akercocke could fit into this category too. David Gray is a speed/technical monster with great degree of variety. just check Of Menstrual Blood and Semen or A Skin for Dancing In...well in almost anything, you can find parts that are stunning.
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
28.11.2006 - 17:28
Xaphiris
Like... every speed metal song there is, duh!
Aside from that, try Kataklysm's "Serenity in fire" album...
----
28.11.2006 - 23:52
Unholy_Emperor
The intro of Painkiller is just amazing and songs like Chopped in Half from Obituary or Nightfrost from Forgotten Tomb have also insane drumming.
29.11.2006 - 11:09
lordz
IzZo
Written by Xaphiris on 28.11.2006 at 17:28

Aside from that, try Kataklysm's "Serenity in fire" album...

good call... some crazy drumming in that album by the Canadian Death metalers
30.11.2006 - 21:04
Destryphior
Well Gojira-The Heaviest Matter of the Universe, and well anything from Rotten Sound, Kai Hahto is a machine , some of you got into excellent drumming, then I'll mention Amon Amarth - Death in Fire, I love that drumming...
01.12.2006 - 20:54
Remus
Written by Destryphior on 30.11.2006 at 21:04

then I'll mention Amon Amarth - Death in Fire, I love that drumming...

I'm hooked on that song right now. The guitars aren't anything special but they somehow manage to make me feel something... Yeah the drummer is really good. U should check out "An Ancient Sign of Coming Storm", just constant double bass!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
01.12.2006 - 21:08
Remus
Written by Doc G. on 27.11.2006 at 02:14

to me, en i'm no expert, it sounds like this:

x--------x-------x-------x------- splash
---------o----------------o------- snare
o---o---o---o---o---o---o---o--- bass
--o---o---o---o---o---o---o---o- bass2

i may have chosen the wrong cymbal. anyway, just play that and with your snare hand play some tom notes in between the snare notes. it should sound good.

regarding the matter at hand, what do you guyz think of The Black Dahlia Murder's drummer? The one on "Miasma"? I think he kicks ass, probably what makes that band sound good. "A vulgar picture" has some really powerful fills, really fast double-bass and he blasts with the best of them.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
03.12.2006 - 10:45
Darkd
Account deleted
I know i might get my head ripped off for this ( because most people dont like them)

but a song that has awesome drumming is the song Mannequin by Cradle of Filth

dont care what you think, i like Cradle of Filth
03.12.2006 - 19:45
Remus
Written by Guest on 03.12.2006 at 10:45

I know i might get my head ripped off for this ( because most people dont like them)

No dude, Adrian Erlandsson kicks major ass! Maybe not as much as his bro, Daniel (my opinion) but he is deffinately a killer drummer! Really like the drumming on "Ktulu Dawn".
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
03.12.2006 - 23:36
Darkd
Account deleted
Written by Remus on 03.12.2006 at 19:45

Written by Guest on 03.12.2006 at 10:45

No dude, Adrian Erlandsson kicks major ass! Maybe not as much as his bro, Daniel (my opinion) but he is deffinately a killer drummer! Really like the drumming on "Ktulu Dawn".

Yea his brothers drumming kickass too. My favirote of his brothers was alreeady stated but its machtskampf, that songs has awesome drumming.

1 other one that i just remembered that has awesome drumming is Slayers, Killing Fields.
04.12.2006 - 00:34
Mega-Slayer
Checkout Immolation's "After My Prayers"and "Those Left Behind" off of "Dawn Of Possession",gotta love the relentless pounding of the double-bass.Immolation is a very unnapreciated band,lately they have been my favorite of death metal.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
04.12.2006 - 06:51
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Death - Scavenger of Human Sorrow
Behemoth - Slaves Shall Serve
Morbid Angel - Dawn of the Angry
Hate Eternal - Behold Judas
Kataklysm - In Shadows and Dust
Arsis - The Promise of Never
Dimmu Borgir - Kings of the Carnival Creation
Krisiun - Ageless Venomous
Nile - Execeration Text
any 1349 track off Liberation
any Sleep Terror track
Wintersun - Beyond the Dark Sun
Vesania - Posthuman Kind
any Vader track off Litany
any Decrepirt Birth track on "...And Time Begins"
Absu - Pillars of Mercy
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
04.12.2006 - 07:40
nana.MD
Star-Queen
silence calls the storm - quo vadis

...yanic bercier in an excellent drummer!!
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
05.12.2006 - 18:51
LeamaS
Account deleted
As soon as i read it i thought in this song called "To Daimonion (pt I of III)" yes, you're right from the Grand Declaration Of War.
06.12.2006 - 06:15
Mega-Slayer
Another I have discovered is Ripping Corpse' "Feeling Pleasure Through Pain",awesome drumming,he plays in sync with the same speed as the guitar.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
07.12.2006 - 01:57
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Kataklysm - The Blood on the Swans
Dying Fetus - One Shot, One Kill
20.12.2006 - 21:31
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Pretty Much every DragonForce song.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
20.12.2006 - 21:38
morbid_freak
Account deleted
A lot of Behemoth songs have kick ass drumming in it.
24.12.2006 - 03:55
Kurzag
Account deleted
The songs that really have impressed me is Slaves Shall Serve from Behemoth and To Rottendom from 1349. Just beacause of the insane drumming.
30.12.2006 - 03:49
spirit_inblack
harshhead
A lot of Nile songs and pretty much anything by Suffocation with Mike Smith has amazing drumming. An Autopsy by The Faceless has some great drumming and so does Al-Amin by !T.O.O.H.!