13. Studio Chat
14. Jam Stew [unreleased instrumental]
15. Studio Chat
16. Flight Of The Rat [Roger Glover remix]
17. Studio Chat
18. Speed King [Roger Glover remix]
19. Studio Chat
20. Black Night [unedited Roger Glover remix]

"Child In Time" is one of the greatest things ever recorded.

With that out of the way, we can move on to the rest of the review. In Rock, though maybe a hair inferior to the eternally great Machine Head, still captures Deep Purple at the greatest point in its history. The Mark II lineup delivers its debut album with a sonic punch to the chest that leaves no doubts about where heavy metal originated.

"Speed King," the opening track, laid the groundwork for thrash in a time when heavy metal itself was barely in existence. Ian Gillan screams up a storm like Little Richard on acid, introducing himself to the world with all the subtlety of a unicorn being struck by lightning. He is enthusiastically backed up by one of music's greatest instrumental duos: Ritchie Blackmore on guitar and Jon Lord on organ. Blackmore's trademark guitar tone (achieved via his preferred Stratocaster on all songs but "Child In Time") battles for the spotlight with Lord's own trademark Hammond organ, aptly entitled "The Beast." The result is a crunchy, distorted powerhouse of musical fusion, a mélange of heavy English blues, classical, and hard rock.

In Rock sounds raw and aggressive, packed with the sort of energy and spirit normally reserved for first albums, which makes sense considering that this is the first Deep Purple album in this genre. Each musician is incredibly proficient, and each boasts an air of impressive musicianship. Ian Gillan cements his position as one of heavy music's greatest vocalists ever; his otherworldly performance on "Child In Time" has had a profound effect on, among others, Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden and Eric Adams of Manowar.

Being Deep Purple's first album in this style, In Rock is a little rough at times. There is, however, no major reason to detract from this classic. "Hard Lovin' Man" could be a tad shorter, "Flight Of The Rat" could be a bit better, but this has essentially everything a true Deep Purple record needs.

As previously stated, "Child In Time" alone is enough reason to buy a dozen copies of this album.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written by ScreamingSteelUS | 28.09.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 77 users
28.09.2012 - 15:17
Rating: 9
R'Vannith
ghedengi
You know the first thing that came to mind when I saw this in my updates was your first sentence. Nice review.
28.09.2012 - 16:32
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Thanks. It had to be said.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
03.10.2012 - 20:22
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
The line "all the subtlety of a unicorn being struck by lightning" made me chuckle. Good review, though I would give it a slightly higher rating. Slightly.
04.10.2012 - 01:59
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Good review and I agree, "Child in Time" is one of the all-time great songs.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
22.07.2015 - 01:36
Rating: 8
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ace Frawley on 04.10.2012 at 01:59

Good review and I agree, "Child in Time" is one of the all-time great songs.

I think best is when blind man cries
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.06.2016 - 21:45
Dave FC

Child In Time is awesome. And this too (the mighty (John) Lord took the intro from this song):
05.06.2020 - 05:44
Lord Slothrop

I recently went through a revisiting of Deep Purple and must have played this album over a dozen times in a week. It's crazy that In Rock and Black Sabbath's debut came out a few months from one another. And yes, 'Child in Time' is one of the greatest things ever recorded.
25.10.2020 - 11:12
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Was wondering why this didn't appear on the band's page, damn this review is old.

This album def needs an official one.

"Child In Time" is one of the greatest songs ever.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 4286 | This month: 16