Metal Storm logo
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #6 - Featuring Flying Snakes, Nerve End, Nous Étions, Immensity, Dark Opus, and more!

Written by: Susan, X-Ray Rod, BloodTears, Doc G., BitterCOld, Abattoir, wormdrink414
Published: 28.09.2012

Clandestine Cuts Volume 2, Issue #6
The Metal Storm Demo/EP Spotlight

Do you like new music? Do you like.... excellent new music? Do you like untainted, underground metal? If you answered yes to any of these questions then rejoice: your new music dealers are back with your fix of the best new demos and EPs that you've been so hungry for. One day remember, you heard these bands before they were famous. Stream their music for free, like them on facebook, and if you know what's good for you, go to their shows and witness real passion for metal. But first, listen and tell us what you think.

REGISTERED USERS!! You will see a poll below this article so please chose your favorite demo/EP of the month. The winners each year are nominated in our annual Metal Storm Awards so exercise your rights: this is the one category chosen completely by YOU the readers. (If you're not a registered user: signing up is FREE, fast, and we never spam.)

January 31, 2013: VOTING IS NOW CLOSED! Thank you for your votes; find the winners in the Metal Storm Awards 2012 category Clandestine Cut Of The Year and chose your favorite.

Think your band has what it takes to be featured in the Cuts? Contact Susan or email Susan @ MetalStorm . net to submit your music.

In case you're new at this, go back and enjoy our last few issues:
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #2
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #3
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #4
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #5

Nerve End - Axis
Listen and download from their website
LIKE them on facebook

Axis is an explosion of pulsating progressive heaviness in a modern, wacky form. Their music has a certain luminosity pulled by shiny choruses and overlapping vocals that blend raspy screams and beautifully syncopated cleans. Finland's Nerve End come from a tradition of bands such as Leprous which are as comfortable with traditional prog as with their other more futuristic/alternative forms, even though they use the typical progressive structures and expanding solos. They have enough technical flair and punch in their riffs to instantly raise the level of energy. It is really exciting when you find a real gem like this one. Take the time to discover the details and get ready to enter this radiant tunnel of flowing goodness!

by BloodTears

Dark Opus - Ignominious Fundamentals
Listen at SoundCloud

Lo-fi, chaotic and evil? Yup, it's typical black metal...but it's French; considering the psychotic music that country has been putting out lately, it would be fair to expect some kind of dark twist in here right? Well, not really. The odd thing is, despite being extremely typical, Ignominious Fundamentals is still a pretty powerful EP. Something that may be tiring in the long run, 12 minutes and 41 seconds is the perfect play time for this crusty black metal.

by Doc Godin

Nous Étions - Limbes
Listen on Bandcamp
LIKE them on facebook

French Canadian Nous Étions act lays down a fistful of posty tracks that start clean and swell nicely into typical but nicely dense and tight crescendos as the songs advnace. And the screamo vocals benefit from some nice background effect/double tracking which makes what is typically annoying actually intriguing. Start with "Inukshuk".

by BitterCOld

Immensity - The Lonely Aquarelle
Listen at Bandcamp
LIKE them on facebook

So, Immensity. Here we a have a double-track promo The Lonely Aquarelle, coming directly from Greece. This stuff represents mainly atmospheric doom, combined with some subordinated elements of the progressive movement. Expect an equally balanced combination of well-executed growls together with sorrowful clean vocals. Generally a very enjoyable and promising product from this band.

by Abattoir

Carneia - Sons of the Sea EP
Listen at Bandcamp
LIKE them on facebook

Carneia are not the lost ship at open sea that the cover of their EP Sons Of The Sea portrays, although their music draws many interesting parallels with that image. The groovy sound of Machine Head and Lamb Of God full of hooks is the most recognizable, and the vocal approach has similarities. Mix that with an Amon Amarth-type style of tremolo, a tad of post-sludge and you have what I would like to call "sea metal" and they do it like pros. There are sea elements in song titles ("Ketos" = sea monster) and lyrics, and their music sounds like the perfect soundtrack for a battle at sea. You have acoustic dark/psychotic interludes which then take new form as the music becomes denser and more encompassing, layering growls, solos and breaks. But it can also be straightforward and ripping, approaching more extreme metal tonalities.

by BloodTears

Vortex of Clutter - The Ghosts of a New Generation
Listen and download from their website
LIKE them on facebook

Vortex Of Clutter is an appropriate name to slap onto the brand of tech-death these guys play. The Ghosts Of A New Generation is a swirling blur of riffs and frettboard tapping cluttered into a short, but satisfying package. If that (justifiably) doesn't sound like the most unique kind of deal to your elitist ass, consider these two things too: It's got a respectable amount of thrashy riffing so it's not too up-its-ass with showoffery, and it was executed really well. Think underground-produced, slightly more derivative, and less financially successful versions of Nevermore, Arch Enemy, and Necrophagist meeting up to shred out a few songs. It's run-of-the-mill fun, yeah, but it's fun nonetheless.

by wormdrink414

Flying Snakes - Despondency 7"
Hear the first track at Bandcamp
...hear the others on youtube
LIKE them on facebook

I'm like a fat guy in a bakery. While the sponge of this metal cake is of the sludgy variant, it has been covered in delicious crust & punk frosting, some nice marmalade of melodic leads and dear lord... They even put a few still-noticeable black berries to give you another reason to get musical diabetes out of this. But please, don't let the cake metaphor fool you: This is filthy and crushing but in the catchiest of ways, which can only be attributable to great songwriting and performance. The well structured riffs and powerful drums just flow and vary along with the (also versatile) vocals in such a professional way you know these guys can make it big, which isn't surprising as they already have a full length out! I personally see no flaws here. A taste of filthy music that keeps that groovy "FUCK YEAH METAL!" feeling and I know everyone needs that every now and then, right?

by Mr. Doctor

Comments

Comments: 24   Visited by: 125 users
28.09.2012 - 21:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Finaly ist beck, 4 months it was silen now its beck I gonna try all samples soon
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.09.2012 - 22:02
Susan
Smeghead
Nerve End is the shizzle. Each time I listen I can't believe they're unsigned. I mean, the level of professionalism in the recording and production ALONE is enough to assume they're on a big label, not to mention the excellent performances, songwriting, and arc of music on the EP. There is some real talent packed into this band.

And if prog isn't your thing, no matter how incredible, I really dug Immensity. Some straight up doom and very professional. Lovely. (Immensity's musicians are mostly veterans of the doom scene, and their experience is really evident.)
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
28.09.2012 - 22:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
All bands sucked, I like how Blod said ''sea metal'' album artwork but this time musicaly all sucked even Immensity didnt work for me, but I vote for it anyway, lil better how others and its doom anyway
----

apos;'
[image]
28.09.2012 - 22:50
Susan
Smeghead
Bad English, you ALWAYS think that all the bands suck while everyone else likes some of them. But every issue you keep coming back for more punishment, and more bands you're not going to like. It's endearing, and I always appreciate your listening anyway
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
28.09.2012 - 23:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Well, as expected.... I ended up voting for the band which Mr. Doctor reviewed, that guy has some good tastes.

Nah but seriously... There's some good stuff here. Never End and Carneia where pretty cool too. It's just that Flying Snakes is my kind of music. Filthy and powerful sludge.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.09.2012 - 09:49
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Slow Internet...Fuck India. Fuck you up. Seriously, it's pretty slow. It's getting now more slowly. /off-topic

Well, I'm through with Dark Opus and stuff is pretty tight and great. I will check it out moar if internet gain some speed.
29.09.2012 - 12:33
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.09.2012 at 23:49

Well, as expected.... I ended up voting for the band which Mr. Doctor reviewed, that guy has some good tastes.

Nah but seriously... There's some good stuff here. Never End and Carneia where pretty cool too. It's just that Flying Snakes is my kind of music. Filthy and powerful sludge.

You always do that. Cheater Sounds like a good issue so far though.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
29.09.2012 - 12:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 29.09.2012 at 12:33
You always do that. Cheater Sounds like a good issue so far though.

C'mon babe, I just can't lie to myself! It's a style I'm extremely confortable listening to. It pushes the right buttons. Filthy music ftw.
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.09.2012 - 17:02
Susan
Smeghead
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.09.2012 at 12:59

Filthy music ftw.

I do agree there! Did you try Nous Étions? A nice bit of filth there, too.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
29.09.2012 - 17:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Susan on 29.09.2012 at 17:02
I do agree there! Did you try Nous Étions? A nice bit of filth there, too.

Wasn't too keen on the vocals tbh :\ It was kind of hit or miss in between the songs. But the music itself was pretty good. Just like the other issues... Everything is good so now it's just a matter of personal tastes hahahaha.
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.09.2012 - 21:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 28.09.2012 at 22:50

Bad English, you ALWAYS think that all the bands suck while everyone else likes some of them. But every issue you keep coming back for more punishment, and more bands you're not going to like. It's endearing, and I always appreciate your listening anyway

My opinium , I giva try and I didnt get nothing special , this time it was werry week, I remeber some last years edditions where there was 3-4 bands from what was hard to choose,
This time it was way to modern, I need more old bands and old school
----

apos;'
[image]
29.09.2012 - 21:42
Susan
Smeghead
I love that you come back each month and listen to everyone. But you're in luck, we have a couple of "old school" things kicking around that might make it into one of the next issues
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
29.09.2012 - 22:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 29.09.2012 at 21:42

I love that you come back each month and listen to everyone. But you're in luck, we have a couple of "old school" things kicking around that might make it into one of the next issues

I hope so...If I be alive
----

apos;'
[image]
01.10.2012 - 05:26
Evil Chip

Nous Etions could've been a lot better if the voice was lower in the mix. Carneia and Flying snakes were really cool but Flying Snakes sounded more tight to me, so my vote goes to them.
08.10.2012 - 20:38
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Nerve End is very good indeed
still got 4 others to check out before placing my final vote though
----
loves 小巫
24.10.2012 - 11:31
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Nerve End or Flying Snakes?

frustrated at not being able to cast two votes D:
----
loves 小巫
24.10.2012 - 15:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ag Fox on 24.10.2012 at 11:31

Flyingsnakes easily... That reviewer did such a good work describing the music, great stuff.

He's hot too.
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.10.2012 - 20:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.10.2012 at 15:40

Written by Ag Fox on 24.10.2012 at 11:31

Flyingsnakes easily... That reviewer did such a good work describing the music, great stuff.

He's hot too.

Ahah no way. Nerve End beats that snakes band easily. Shush
----

My Instagram
24.10.2012 - 21:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 24.10.2012 at 20:45
Shush

Shush me.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.10.2012 - 13:40
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Chose Nerve End =P
----
loves 小巫
25.10.2012 - 20:14
BloodTears
ANA-thema
In all honesty, they are better
----

My Instagram
25.10.2012 - 20:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 25.10.2012 at 20:14
In all honesty, they are better

Why are you hurting my feelings?
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.10.2012 - 01:51
Susan
Smeghead
Flyingsnakes was AMAZING but seriously... Nerve End is THE SHIZZLE. And the shizzle > amazing
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
28.01.2013 - 20:39
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
I voted for Nerve End 'cause they sound kind of like a mix of Leprous and Stam1na. Needless to say that I like both bands.
Immensity is also a nice band but, in my opinion, they still have yet to find their own style.
Vortex of Clutter seemed to be (by description) something that I would like but I couldn't get into their music.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"

Hits total: 9759 | This month: 27