Release date: May 2012

01. Tapestry Of The Starless Abstract
02. Xenoflux
03. Of The Leper Butterflies
04. Forget Not
05. And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope
06. As Icicles Fall
07. Of Petrichor Weaves Black Noise

Now I for one am one of the newer fans of this unique progressive metal outfit. I was unaware of the Aurora Veil EP that came out in 2007, was already establishing a fan-base, and was building up significant hype for the release of Portal of I five years later. I have never even heard of Ne Obliviscaris, until right before the album was released, with the surrounding hype growing to a fever-pitch. I was finally able to order a copy from the band's label and after a few spins, I must say, I was quite impressed.

One of the first things I noticed about this album is the usage of violin, something heard much more frequently in folk metal as opposed to progressive extreme metal. It offers a unique flavor to the music being crafted and allows it to be much more diverse than it would have been already. I feel the violin is a refreshing take from many of the typical progressive metal artists who strictly focus on how technical their guitar player's solos are and so forth.

Keep in mind, this is still an extremely technical release, with fast riffs, blistering solos, and ever-changing time signatures at the drop of a hat. The clean vocals, while perhaps not outstanding on a technical level are still a delight to hear and help to accentuate the mood of each song alongside the impressive growling. Each member's performance is strong throughout, and while there may be a few drags here and there in the album's flow, considering the seventy-minute length, the members deliver a superb effort to keep the listener engaged in the world they have created.

The difference between this band and most of the typical progressive metal artists I've heard out there is that these men are able to weave a sort of literary and erudite mannerism into how they write and perform their material. The song titles themselves, including "Of The Leper Butterflies" and "Tapestry of the Starless Abstract" seem to demonstrate an interest on the part of the band in the surreal and otherworldly. This is also demonstrated in the lyrics themselves, including a quote from the second track, "As Saturn devours, of mind-streams' oddity. Rift wrought souls rupture, rippling... All shackles have now fallen, nebulae horses pulse on. Can I feel?"

Overall I feel this is an excellent start for this up-and-coming progressive extreme metal outfit, and I'm almost certain that this has met the expectations of those who were already fans of their previous EP. Portal of I is without a doubt one of the most unique items that I have heard come out of the 2010's decade thus far, and I look forward to what the future holds in this band's favor.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by CobiWan1993 | 30.09.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Milena
Rating:
N/A
Reading other people's opinions is a funny thing. Before I checked it out myself, I was convinced Ne Obliviscaris would sound like a bastard child of meloblack-infused Wintersun and Into Eternity on drugs. And I'm not going to lie to you, there's definitely a bit of that in Portal Of I, but that's only a part of the picture.

Read more ››
published 24.10.2012 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Lucerna
Rating:
I was introduced to this band by a friend of mine whose taste in metal was quite similar to mine; he showed me a video of "As Icicles Fall". This took my attention, and I decided to check these guys out; and I was very pleased with what I heard.

Read more ››
published 04.06.2014 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 200 users
30.09.2012 - 11:29
Rating: 8
Risto
Wandering Midget
Nice review In addition to the violin, I can't help but praise the taste of their bassist Brendan Brown. This is one of the rare albums where I was concentrating more on the bass leads than guitar on the initial spins.
30.09.2012 - 11:38
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Risto on 30.09.2012 at 11:29

Nice review In addition to the violin, I can't help but praise the taste of their bassist Brendan Brown. This is one of the rare albums where I was concentrating more on the bass leads than guitar on the initial spins.

Thank you, I couldn't agree more. The bass also stood out for me quite nicely, especially during the soft introduction to "Of The Leper Butterflies".
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
01.10.2012 - 20:41
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Really liked this release. I listened to it expecting something and it totally surprised me. I love albums like that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.10.2012 - 22:43
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by BloodTears on 01.10.2012 at 20:41

Really liked this release. I listened to it expecting something and it totally surprised me. I love albums like that.

I agree, I was pleasantly surprised myself when I first encountered this album.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
02.10.2012 - 10:49
whatsacow

I love it when Aussie bands do quite well. Makes me happy. This band is amazing though!
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
25.10.2012 - 11:24
Evican
Ann O'War
They are a great band indeed and are exceptional live.
16.06.2023 - 08:43
tintinb

Love the album. Probably the best use of violin by a metal band.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 5602 | This month: 8