Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Part Ways With Singer Anette Olzon

Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company. The band is in the middle of a North American tour with Kamelot and faces yet another line-up change.

Full statement from the band and Anette Olzon: "Another chapter of the Nightwish story has ended today. Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company, in mutual understanding, for the good of all parties involved.

In recent times it has become increasingly obvious that the direction and the needs of the band were in conflict, and this has led to a division from which we cannot recover.

Nightwish has no intention of cancelling any upcoming shows, and as a result we have decided to bring in a substitute vocalist starting in Seattle 1.10.2012. Her name is Floor Jansen from The Netherlands (ex-After Forever, ReVamp), and she has graciously stepped in to help us complete the Imaginaerum world tour.

We are all strongly committed to this journey, this vehicle of spirit, and we are sure that this will lead to a brighter future for everyone. We forever remain excited about the adventures to come, and we are extremely proud of the two beautiful albums and the wonderful shows we shared together."

Elize Ryd (Amaranthe) and Alissa White-Gluz (The Agonist) stepped in for Anette this past Friday night (September 28th) at the Ogden Theatre, Denver, because Olzon was forced to spend the night at a local hospital. The singer later stated on her blog: "I was never asked if it was ok they used Elise and Alica in the show last night. I don't think it's a good decision they made and I'm sorry for those of you who came to see the whole band but got something else. But I was very ill and this decision wasn't mine."

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 01.10.2012 by Tristam

Comments page 3 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 131   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 864 users
02.10.2012 - 03:17
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Best news i've heard all day. I know it doesn't mean they will get a better singer. But floor on vocals for the time being? She is literally THE best female operatic metal singer there is out of all the known ones. We see them in 3-4 months, hopefully she is still touring with them then.
02.10.2012 - 03:33
nicaZe
Savatage
Tarja! Tarja! Tarja! Tarja!
02.10.2012 - 03:49
Karwyn

I think it's pretty obvious that the only reason they included that quote from Anette was as a reason for why they fired her.
02.10.2012 - 03:49
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Now if only they could find a way to get rid of keyboard player Captain Jack Sparrow.
02.10.2012 - 04:29
KainRich

Written by Guest on 02.10.2012 at 03:49

Now if only they could find a way to get rid of keyboard player Captain Jack Sparrow.

Captain Jack is the frontman, without him, there is no Nighywish
02.10.2012 - 04:45
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by KainRich on 02.10.2012 at 04:29

Captain Jack is the frontman, without him, there is no Nighywish

I know that. I've been listening to Nightwish for a long time. I just don't like him.
02.10.2012 - 04:50
darklos

Wow! Floor Jansen! it would be great if she stays in the band forever, she's the best female metal singer. She could sing both old and new songs like a master.
02.10.2012 - 04:55
Thrashette

Well, at least I got to see them with Annette (but not Tarja :'( )
This was quite surprising... I was just starting to get used to Annette, but I'm not disappointed. I'm already looking forward to the day they announce her replacement. I'm not counting on it being Tarja but they should get someone a little more similar to her...
02.10.2012 - 05:21
Theberzerker

Come on Tuomas! WTF
02.10.2012 - 06:15
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
And another replacement singer goes after 2 albums. Either Jansen will stay on or Turunen will return.
Couple of weeks earlier and Olzen coulda joined Draconian.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
02.10.2012 - 06:42
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by M C Vice on 02.10.2012 at 06:15

And another replacement singer goes after 2 albums. Either Jansen will stay on or Turunen will return.

I don't think you can really complain about Nightwish and lineup changes, there hasn't been a lot considering their 15 year stint.
02.10.2012 - 07:45
Stabby
Account deleted
I hope she's all right. I agree with the "diva" comments, though. I would go to see Nightwish, not Anette.

This is so sudden, but it makes sense, as much as I liked Dark Passion play, Imaginarium, and Anette's singing, she wasn't right for Nightwish. Actually scratch that, she wasn't right for Nightwish as a permanent addition to the band. She had her moments of brilliance with them.

This is forever in my heart

*swoon* Floor Jansen. *double swoon*

*triple swoon*
02.10.2012 - 07:47
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
This is absolutely wonderful news. I really felt no animosity toward Anette, yet, it's my suspicion that the band (namely Tuomas), like me, were just waiting for the right negative thing to happen to end this charade of Nightwish being a bit...um...not themselves. It was always my wish that either Floor or Lori Lewis would get the gig. And- I'm noticing- temporary statuses of new members has been a safety net to ease up tension till records come out. C'mon. It's most likely a dream come true for Floor. After Forever's demise was sad and definitely not desired. Revamp is good, yet it's been kind of a project from the getgo. Both parties would be stupid not to go with this for good. I know I'm not the only uber-fan (cheesy term, but it's true for me) who consider this a dream come true as well. Besides, Tuomas has had adequate time to think of the would've, could've, should'ves. This is all three if they are all in their right mind.
02.10.2012 - 08:48
The Melting Snow

Floor will certainly do a better job than Annete
02.10.2012 - 08:48
Lady Margoth

So great! Such happy news. Since DDP I don't listen to Nightwish anymore. If they just could reunite with Tarja... this little stupid and nostalgic hope.
Anyway, they need an operatic singer. It makes Nightwish more serious and powerful and Nightwish-like.
02.10.2012 - 09:40
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Dark Cornatus on 02.10.2012 at 06:42

Written by M C Vice on 02.10.2012 at 06:15

I don't think you can really complain about Nightwish and lineup changes, there hasn't been a lot considering their 15 year stint.

I mean that a lot (not all) of replacement singers only last 2 albums. eg. Blaze Bayley (Maiden) Dio (Sabbath- 2 albums originally), Kaiaphas (Ancient), Ripper Owens - (Priest and Iced Earth). Exclude Kaiaphas and they all had to replace a big-name singers. Could probably find more if I did some research.
----
02.10.2012 - 11:35
Night Theater

Anette was a good singer... she just didn't fit Nightwish well. Her singing suited the music better on Imaginaerum than DPP. Songs like "7 Days to the Wolves" - while a good song - really sounded weird with a weak voice. I hope that they keep Floor Jansen, or pick a singer who can sing like Tarja.

I don't think it would be good to bring back Tarja. The chemisty in the band would be bad, and they'd feel like they've gone backwards, and then split. There are other vocalists like Tarja, so hopefully, Nightwish knows what they're doing this time.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tarja's work with the band.
02.10.2012 - 11:43
ImperialTroll
Account deleted
This band has failed on so many levels in the last few years. If they wanna go anywhere now they have to focus on the music first, I mean real music not some big ass orchestras and shit. And they need a really good singer, like Syrah from Qntal for example.
02.10.2012 - 12:18
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 02.10.2012 at 11:43

This band has failed on so many levels in the last few years. If they wanna go anywhere now they have to focus on the music first, I mean real music not some big ass orchestras and shit. And they need a really good singer, like Syrah from Qntal for example.

i was thinking the same thing... i mean its like guitars faded away long time ago...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
02.10.2012 - 13:42
ImperialTroll
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 02.10.2012 at 12:18

i was thinking the same thing... i mean its like guitars faded away long time ago...

They have guitars?!
02.10.2012 - 13:45
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 02.10.2012 at 13:42

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 02.10.2012 at 12:18

They have guitars?!

exactly
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
02.10.2012 - 13:54
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
My suggestions (not all serious) for the replacement, apart from the obvious 2, are:
Lisa Johansen (currently unemployed?)
Amanda Sommerville (would like to hear more of her)
Ihriel (Lacks the required range, but would mean my singer-following had gone sorta full circle)
Kimberly Goss (I just want her back in front of a mic - don't care which band, although she wonln't be aloud to write for Nightwish)
Onielar (new musical direction, plus one of my favorite female vocalists)
Runhild Gammelsaeter (see above)
Ripper Owens (the go-to man for temporary fill-in work)
Irene Jansen (Floor's sister and "passion" on The Human Equasion)
Linnea Vikstrom (still a minor so they wouldn't have to pay her much, plus Tuomas could bend her to his will (evil laugh))
Mika Penetrator (she'll make you all wish Annette was back)
Arabella Vitanc (current singer for Alyson Avenue)
----
02.10.2012 - 14:44
moe5512

How about Marco taking over all the singing?
02.10.2012 - 14:54
IronAngel

Written by Karwyn on 02.10.2012 at 03:49

I think it's pretty obvious that the only reason they included that quote from Anette was as a reason for why they fired her.

They didn't include that quote. The news reporter on MS made that connection. It's two seperate statements from two different days. It may have been the last straw, but I wouldn't speculate too much. There's also no indication that she was unilaterally fired; previous firings haven't been a secret, so I don't see why they would lie about it now.
02.10.2012 - 15:00
enumaelis

Written by M C Vice on 02.10.2012 at 13:54

My suggestions (not all serious) for the replacement, apart from the obvious 2, are:
Lisa Johansen (currently unemployed?)
Amanda Sommerville (would like to hear more of her)
Ihriel (Lacks the required range, but would mean my singer-following had gone sorta full circle)
Kimberly Goss (I just want her back in front of a mic - don't care which band, although she wonln't be aloud to write for Nightwish)
Onielar (new musical direction, plus one of my favorite female vocalists)
Runhild Gammelsaeter (see above)
Ripper Owens (the go-to man for temporary fill-in work)
Irene Jansen (Floor's sister and "passion" on The Human Equasion)
Linnea Vikstrom (still a minor so they wouldn't have to pay her much, plus Tuomas could bend her to his will (evil laugh))
Mika Penetrator (she'll make you all wish Annette was back)

I'd also add this girl, their band are trying so hard to become like the last NW and she a new Anette XD
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
02.10.2012 - 15:24
Ernis
狼獾
Written by M C Vice on 02.10.2012 at 13:54

Yeah... they could just switch singers so that Anette will go back to AA and Arabella will take her place in NW. After a few albums they could repeat it and mayb even merge the two bands...

You forgot Lori Lewis and Melissa Ferlaak. Lori is singing for Aesma Daeva and Therion so I don't know whether she'd ever have the time for a time-consuming project such as Nightwish but Melissa Ferlaak has been wandering from one low-quality-Nightwish-clone to another... It would be damn time for her to take the place that was meant for her from the beginning... even though I have to admit that I wouldn't exactly prefer a return to operatic vocals. A power metal female vocalist in the vein of Doro would be something I'd expect. Floor is great because she can sing both classical and rock but I just fear that any hint towards opera wouldn't do any good because there's too much "sell-out" about the genre these days that Nightwish needs something radically different and fresh to stand out among others who have this style.

Anyway, it's sad that Anette couldn't stay. I would've loved to hear at least three more albums with her, especially because they were doing great. And it was just hilarious how pissed the desperate Tarja fans were who now, as this thread shows, seem to be celebrating the second coming of Christ or something... Can't understand if it really causes an orgasm if some say downright rude things about Anette. If you ask me, Tarja may return and it would make no difference to me. They could hire Mika Penetrator or Angela Gossow and if I didn't like it, I wouldn't listen to it. But I just can't understand why some ratbags have to write stuff such as "Anette is an awful singer! YEY! She got kicked out! When is Tarja coming back?!" No, I'm not saying that you wrote anything like that but I just made an observation and I just can't understand people once again...
02.10.2012 - 15:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Baz Anderson on 01.10.2012 at 21:01

If Anette would rather Nightwish cancelled a show instead of the band performing with two different singers instead, I think that says all we need to know about her.

this but works both ways...if they rather replace their lead singer with first random chicks available than saying "sincerely sorry, our fans, but it cannot be done tonight...we will be back later for you", it means they didnt value Anette enough to be a part of them...

i mean - can you imagine Bruce would get sick and Iron Maiden will say "never mind, tonight we perform with Alice Cooper instead"? or if Tuomas would be the one in hospital, would Oliver Palotai just step in and do the work? doubt so...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.10.2012 - 17:01
Mizer
Account deleted
I think there's so much grudge between Nightwish and Tarja (not to mention Tarja's own new life / career) that their reunion is just out of the question. When Finnish press asked Tarja's comments about Anettes leaving, Tarja responded: "I was not aware of this, and I'm not interested. Good luck for both parties."
02.10.2012 - 17:09
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ellrohir on 02.10.2012 at 15:51

Written by Baz Anderson on 01.10.2012 at 21:01

If Anette would rather Nightwish cancelled a show instead of the band performing with two different singers instead, I think that says all we need to know about her.

this but works both ways...if they rather replace their lead singer with first random chicks available than saying "sincerely sorry, our fans, but it cannot be done tonight...we will be back later for you", it means they didnt value Anette enough to be a part of them...

i mean - can you imagine Bruce would get sick and Iron Maiden will say "never mind, tonight we perform with Alice Cooper instead"? or if Tuomas would be the one in hospital, would Oliver Palotai just step in and do the work? doubt so...

You've got a point there. I did give a listen to a recording of the concert in Denver and although I can't say anything bad about the girls, it was indeed very improvised. I imagine it was very difficult for the girls to replace Anette given the fact they hadn't practised the songs and had to use notes in order to sing. Nightwish's compositions are complex and the lyrics are almost impossible. Remember the misheard lyrics? No, it wasn't that much about Tarja's pronunciation... the lyrics themselves are a bitch. So yes... looks like Anette might have felt underestimated indeed. She'd done a hard work after all in order to master this repertoire...

And yes... I'd like to imagine what Tuomas would think if he were to be substituted by Palotai. I'm not saying Palotai is bad but, once again, the compositions of Nightwish are a bitch and take a lot more time to master than some random chords.

Some may probably remember Simone Simmons now who also couldn't complete a tour because of her illness and was replaced by Amanda Somerville for a relatively lengthy period. This was a different case because Amanda had been there from the beginning. She had already provided the backing vocals anyway and knew the songs.

Let's see how Floor's going to manage. Honestly... I don't think I could possibly have anything against her as a frontwoman. They could form a strong team at least for some time...
02.10.2012 - 17:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Ernis on 02.10.2012 at 17:09

And yes... I'd like to imagine what Tuomas would think if he were to be substituted by Palotai. I'm not saying Palotai is bad but, once again, the compositions of Nightwish are a bitch and take a lot more time to master than some random chords.

i know there are "technical issues" preventing such an action to be done overnight but basically i dont think they would even consider such an idea...because Nightwish without Tuomas simply aint no Nighwish...but if Nightwish without Anette can still work fine, then it means for me she isnt the part of the crew...and then it may even be good for her that she is out, rather than just being dragged behind the wagon as one of the replaceable instruments...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 19204 | This month: 23